Just took carb cleaner to the eye!

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Jimmy250, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Jimmy250 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Polaris Quad
    hey guys just took a money shot of carb cleaner to the eye while cleaning my sons carb out! the cleaner shot back at me, spend few hrs in the er after scratching my eye while flushing it out on my own. $2 safety glasses prob would have helped! one of my dumb ass moves! lol
    Centerline and Tinken like this.
  2. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic/Ducati SFV2
    BTDT with brake cleaner and my ss oil filter, though not so much and no emergency room :eek:
  3. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    Narrowly escaped the same yesterday. Was working on my WR and got a good shot of carb cleaner to the face. Missed my eye by a few millimeters. I used to use safety glasses all the time, especially when using the dremmel. For some reason I always seem to loose them. So I just gave up. Should probably get back in the habit. Home depot sells 5 packs for something like $15.
    Centerline and Jimmy250 like this.
  4. Jimmy250 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Polaris Quad
    yes its better today, but really stupid on my part!
    duggoey and Centerline like this.
  5. Centerline Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    HD Fat Bob, Aprilia Dorsoduro 1200
    Glad it's better, great reminder, thanks as I get really lazy when it comes to safety glasses
    Jimmy250 likes this.
  6. duggoey Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 690, Yamaha WR200, FGS650(800cc)
    Always wear safety glasses, bad stuff happens when we are doing something what we have done 100 times without incident before. I stabbed myself in the eye with a screw driver removing a paint tin lid, had to get stiches in my eyeball, unpleasant to say the least!

20140715_155752-1-2.jpg
    juicypips likes this.
  7. Jimmy250 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Polaris Quad
    oh thats a disturbing thought!
  8. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    NOT WORK SAFE NOT WORK SAFE NOT WORK SAFE

:P cannot be unseen.
  9. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 450 XC-W '11 BMW R1200GS

This is a great point. I go through boxes of 12 all the time. They last about 2 years and always wind up in the house from forgetting I have them on. I just collect them up and put them back in the shop. Same box, same spot so they are always there. I buy one of those huge boxes of disposable ear plugs about once every 5 years also. They are super cheap when you get them this way and you almost never run out. Cheap insurance thats for sure.

I worked with a guy who use to say this all the time, "Two per customer". Meaning you are only born with two ears and two eyes, so take care of them! Two…only two.
    Jimmy250 and Cosmokenney like this.
  10. kzoo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 295
    Yep; too many close calls on my part. I actually had a pair of prescription safety glasses made so I have to wear them when I work...
  11. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    Dont mean to like this but wow will remember that image next time im grinding or doing something without specs on.
    duggoey and Jimmy250 like this.
  12. duggoey Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    Disturbing, yes some things you cant unsee! I think it demonstrates the point though. Now I get a nervous feeling everytime I pick up a flat head screw driver. I still mow the lawn in thongs (flip flops), but I wear glasses and ear muffs though!
  13. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic/Ducati SFV2
    Now that is dangerous. I will not ever mow in flip flops. I thought painting the trim on my house was safe with flip flops. I took a step back to take a look at my work and you know how the body delays any serious pain when you get hurt bad.... I had just stepped fully onto a rusty 16 penny nail. The damn 1x4 old trim was stuck to my heel. Before I passed out, made it to the truck and was driven to the hospital where they attempted to remove the Mexican flip flop. Doctor said I was good to go. I told the young gun to have another look. He then pulled out a one inch piece of Mexican rubber (probably a mix of recycled tires) out of my heel. Took the drugs and passed out at home :rolleyes: No more flip flops for home improvement.
  14. r6jon Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    16 701 Enduro on 17's :)
    Other Motorcycles:
    a FE450 soon
    OP good topic thanks for bringing it up. A lot more harm can be done in the stinking garage than can be on the trail.
  15. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    Mowing lawn in flip flops! I worked with a bloke who lost entire little finger second knuckle of ring finger and third of middle finger cus he thought the blade had stopped spinning before he reached in an cleared the deck from mulched grass, not a good sight.
  16. duggoey Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    I think the flip flop thing is part of the culture. It sounds dumb, I guess because it is dumb. When you live in a place where 30C is a mild summer day then it becomes a bit clearer. My technique is to avoid inserting any limbs into the spinning parts.
    shawbagga likes this.
  17. duggoey Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes, they dont make the best safety shoes. I sound like that guy, i broke my foot 3 weeks ago (ironically walking from the bathroom back to bed) and it didnt hurt until I got back to my room, the toe was at 45○. I will spare us of those photos. Things come in threes so im waiting for number 3.
    Moral of the story, bad stuff happens during routine day to day life. We need to wear PPE but even better think about risk and what you can do to avoid injury, permanent impairment or worse.
  18. Jimmy250 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Polaris Quad
    I hate Flip Flops and everyone in my house makes fun of my for not wanting to wear them ! lol
    justintendo likes this.
  19. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    Thanks for the clarification on "thongs" my brain went somewhere else! :eek:
    duggoey likes this.
  20. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 450 XC-W '11 BMW R1200GS

Oh man, a nail through your thong….NOT GOOD!
    duggoey likes this.