1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Keihin for the 300 arrives :)

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Sandgroper, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Looking forward to the new carb and race head being installed.
    Carb just arrived :) Better than xmas!
    The overall finish of the carb doesnt appear to be as good as the Mikuni but its what is inside that counts :)

May need some advice on tuning on the run while Im out riding.
    Being a novice at jetting, how do you tell the difference between the jets? (it came with 2 spare) Is it stamped into them or do you have to measure them manually?

[IMG]
  2. Snutbuss Husqvarna
    C Class

Lucky you! I´ve been waiting for mine since the 26 of august and it hasn´t showed up yet, payed for and everything.

I´m looking forward to hear about the race head when you get it (and of course after your first ride with it).
  3. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Congrats and yes the size is stamped on them.
  4. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Great, thanks John . ATM ive told the Husky shop to leave it setup the way it is from JDjetting whom I ordered it from.

I think u better contact the shipping company Snutbus as mine arrived within 7days.
    Maybe someone nicked it. A mate of mine ordered alot of gear for his quad bike and he only ever received half of it. OZ taught me one thing and that is theres pleanty of people out there with light fingers. Follow it up ;)
  5. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    its fine to leave it as it came and tune from there but dont be surprised if its rich - I think it will have the 180 main and blue needle - 45 pilot is ok
    175 or 170 main better for my bike anyway
    red needle is leaner but not much in it really
  6. Snutbuss Husqvarna
    C Class

Well I hope it´s still on its way, I bought the carb from Motorsportz and they sent it the same day I order with the USPS.
    The tracking nr tells me this:
    “Your item was processed through and left our KENT, WA 98032 facility on August 26, 2010. The item is currently in transit to the destination. No further information is available for this item”

I guess it’s nothing to do about it, I´ve been in contact with MZ four times and also asked them to file a claim but I haven’t received any news from them, apparently there’s a guy named Mike working at MZ that will look into it every time I contact them :)

Anyhow good luck with your carb. but as I said before I´m very curious about the result and your thoughts about the race head when installed.

Edit:
    I see that your location is Dubai, I might be there for work a few weeks in February so there’s a risk that I send you a PM hoping for test ride :)
  7. rich300 Husqvarna
    C Class

Im at 0-600ft and my carb was too rich it now works great with 38 pilot 168 main 3rd clip on stock needle 1.5 on air screw
  8. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

on my 2009 300, anything but the top clip of the needle is way too rich, however the lowest i get to ride is 2500' or so. I used the red needle for the summertime (5000' and up) and recently switched to the blue needle for the desert. my bike seems to like around 170 main for summer and 175 for winter. I forget if i have a 42 pilot or 45 in right now.
  9. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

I agree. I also use the red needle in leanest pos. in the summer (15-25 degrees C). I just put it in 2nd pos as we have between 5-15 degrees C now. I hace 42 pilot 2 turns out and 180 main at sealevel. It will be in 3rd clip, or an EEL in 2nd or 3rd for the iceracing in the winter:thumbsup:!

Johnny:sweden:
  10. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

when it cools off for winter, i might try red #2. My logic was as follows:

the blue is supposed to be 1/2 clip richer, and it's also a richer starting diameter, which has a similar effect to a bigger pilot jet. I thought if i changed to the blue, i might be able to skip going to a bigger pilot (since on these carbs you have to remove the float bowl to change the pilot). So far, it looks like that will work. at 4500' or so and temps around 40, the bike started fine with the airscrew at 2 turns out, which leads me to believe it'll start fine when it's 10 degrees colder and 2000' lower if i go to 1 or 1.5 turns out, using the same pilot i used for summer mountain riding with the red needle.
  11. tony_dt Husqvarna
    AA Class

12. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Snutbus,

Keep in mind, I have had stuff stuck in customs for a while, especially with the new stuff in europe.
  13. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350

I find the needles hard to judge
    I rode a month go and it was a bit cooler but blue needle was bogging
    occasionally and lean spark plug reading
    Warmer weather on th eweekend and tried the red needle and same 175 main and it was crackling and rich . Not clean . So dropped needle one setting to second from top at a ride break and much better . Did bring back a bit of bog bog very occasionally so will go to the 170 main on next ride and keep needle in the middle. If you have needle on too lean a setting it will bog (on a 125 anyway)
    Weather makes big difference.
    I think mine also likes 170 main in summer and 175 in winter as well - strange that 250 and 125 likes the same jetting

45 pilot . red for summer - blue for winter.
    Have a smaller pilot to try but think it will bog
  14. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Just went for my first ride with the new carb (but stock head). Didnt change any settings, just plug an (turn the fuel on) and PLAY :)
    JD Setup to suit my terrain:
    175 Main
    45 Pilot
    3 clicks out
    Factory rear pipe
    Factory non restricted front pipe
    50:1 mix ratio
    Elevation 0-400
    Temp 15-35 dgrees C. (note, yet to be tested on a hot day)

Has a solid pull all the way to the end, still no kick which is not a bad thing as it makes the power more controlable IMO.
    I think with the race head and 15/48 she will easily do 150klm/hr.

Nice crisp clean power. Running 14/48 atm I can do a very slow rolling start in 5th and she pulls firm without hesitation all the way.
    Even though I never had the Mikuni running to its best I still think this is definately a worth while investment.

The Mikuni will now make a nice paperweight for my desk at work.
    ;)
  15. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    sounds good
    I find the Keihin gives the bike a more raw character but more reliable power
    Compared to the older Mikuni its just has more down low and has more mid range too
    Went for a ride with a guy who loves his big 525 KTM and is a good rider
    I was up his clacker more than usual he actualy offered me the lead ...

and compared to previous rides against my brothers TE 250 I was matching him on the hills whereas before he'd real me in
    so yes its a good investment alright
    You do need to get the jetting right though
  16. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Another forum user (Johnny I think) recommended 40 pilot.
    What changes would this make to they way she runs?

Should I clean the plug, ride it and then check it? Seems others are doinng this :)
  17. bigcahunak Husqvarna
    A Class

Your temps and altitude are quite similar to mine. I settled at 42 pilot and 175 main. Its the needle that I was most messing with. Currently with JD red needle at 1st from top and it feels ok as temps went around 25c. I do have a DEL needle on the way, but as winter is getting in, I believe the red needle would be the one to stay inside, or even the blue one.
    Goodluck