1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Keihin PWK float and cable issues

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by rockdancer, Apr 21, 2013.

1. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Ive had my keihin on and off the bike - Its an older non airstriker carb its definately an improvement in mid range hit -
    Two issues ive got which I need a bit of help on please
    1. The throttle cable seems to be a bit loose - such that there is slackness and throttle response is a bit delayed - sloppy - not sure how to fix this . There isnt any adjustment at the top of the carb - the cable just sits there . There is a small brass looking tube on the top of the carb but this will not come out without removing a clip under neath the cap - which I am unsure of best way to remove. Ive adjusted the throttle cable adjuster at throttle.

2 It seems to have a float height issue - The bike was bogging badly - low to mid. ( was fine with Mikuni) I adjusted float height not long ago - seems to be coming back
    Not sure why this is happening . Could the tang metal be worn - soft and need replacing ?
    Any help appreciated

Lesson learned though - better off buying a newer carb.
    Overall though with a different needle to the JD needle this carb performs really well - top end is still strong
  2. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    Got a pic of the carb top Rocky?

It should have a threaded adjuster bolt that screw's into the carb top
    [IMG]
  3. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    No its more like the ktm keihins. It doesn't screw in it just spins around
    The clip under is a circular with no gap not sure how to remove and if I did what I'd do

Attached Files:

4. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Oops
    See above post
  5. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    Hmmm...you could order the threaded adjuster bolt...that's if your cap has a thread on it (or tap one)??

Show and Go in Australia maybe able to help you out if you are wanting to source the cable adjuster or this site:
    http://www.hyperracing.com/pages/home/products/online_store.aspx?search=Keihin

OR..you could fashion something up?

Eitherway, this will fix your cable slack.

Bogging...got to be down to pilot jet size and possibly slide size...zero to 1/4 throttle not bad but from 1/4 to 1/2 progressively worst and from 1/4 to full it bogs then clears up?

PS. Know nothing of a 150cc setup.
    rockdancer likes this.
  6. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Thanks - I ll try to get something .
    Bog - Im pretty sure its the float adjustment - there was a bit of fuel leakage when it was on the stand. Not sure why its happening though
  7. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    Hmm fuel is meant to leak but not a on the stand, the needle/valve may have worn, seat worn or just shit in the fuel cause the needle to stay open?

If you think it's the float, dump into a bowl of water, mark the waterline, then submerge the float for a few hours. Take it out and then let it float in water again -if it is at or above your waterline it fine, below your waterline it's a leak.

If you think the float level is too high, l built my own gauge using a rubber stop with clear pvc tube through it (flush), make like a J curve and attach to the side of the carb where the bowl meets the body, fill it up until the float valve/needle shuts and then mark it - should be +/- 8mm (on my 360).

Check this vid out (you get the drift) and l wouldnt use a 5mm pipe either, you can go smaller.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG1Qiki7hH8
    sabortooth likes this.
  8. AUSKY Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE510 96 WR125 00 WR360 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    1999 XR250 83 YZ 490
    Hi RD
    There are a few different cable entry/cap types for the keihin
    Try the adjustment at the throttle housing under the tapered rubber boot where the cable goes in.
    With the float height, OMG might be on the money, if you have recently adjusted the float(16mm from the carbbase tothe bottom of the float from memory) it may be leaking or the needle and seat could be worn or be fouled with debris.
  9. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Thanks guys - I m sorry I may have been wasting your time a bit here . I'll be honest I think that I have trouble getting the height set right and measuring exactly the point when the tang touches the bumper/knob thing . This is because the little needle part seems to move with the float - when you rotate the carb to 45 deg . I think that last time I adjusted it and set it too high. Which when the carb is turned over on the bike it is too low and provides less fuel pressure - correct ?
    I have bent the tang back to what looks like its standard level and I ll try that out .
    It is interesting that the float he\ight is very important to the way the bike runs ie to provide correct fuel pressure/ mixture .
    There is a good guide in the Keihin Decoder section of the Index if anyone else needs to know how to check their float height .
    With the carby cap - I think its ok for now . Ive adjusted at throttle as far as possible. I think a different cap will be too expensive - Id almost be better off buyng another carb!
  10. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    ohmygewd likes this.
  11. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    Good stuff Ash!! Cap for US$10, adjuster for US$2.75...probably shipping is the most expensive...as usual :(
  12. AUSKY Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE510 96 WR125 00 WR360 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    1999 XR250 83 YZ 490
    If you want a little more adjustment drop a suitable flat washer or two into the brass cable guide then install the cable. The Mikuni is even worse than the keihin very sensitive to float height.
    Go the lectron ash worth every penny!!