1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Keihin PWK q

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by marcmo0, Nov 13, 2010.

1. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    I have a PWK 38 S (not AS), I want to put on a 300. Does anyone know the difference between the S and AS and will that S work on the 09 300? It's from an '03 YZ 250
  2. BillO Husqvarna
    AA Class

The AS is the air striker version an has the vanes around the air jet intakes on the intake side of the carb. These are supposed to stabilize and increase the velocity of the air at that point and increase the pressure signal. The AS series carbs are of more benefit for smaller displacement engines that do not flow a lot through the carb at small throttle openings.

While I’ve not got a lot of hands-on experience with it, I’m not sure the PWK S will be a whole lot better than the TMX based solely on specifications. For what that is worth…

Yes, the 38mm PWK S will work with your 300 just fine if you jet it properly.
  3. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    Is it that the TMX is no good, or just hard to jet? The factory jettink kit is supposed to make a big difference. Looks like JD makes one for the 300 too. (Says '08 300, but assume its '09) w TMX
    Also, are their any mods that need done for the PWK swap, or just plug n play?
  4. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    I believe my PWK 38 from the YZ comes equipped with TPS. (i'm not home for a few weeks, but remember a couple of wires/plugs being attached)
    If so, will this carb still work for the swap?
    Thanks
  5. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    The '03 YZ came with a PWM, not a PWK. The PWM you have is a very short carb and I'm not sure how it will fit. I was looking at that carb when I still had my WR, but I was going to use a reed spacer from a '01 Honda CR250 to set the intake manifold back enough to make up the gap.
  6. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I have a non-airstriker 39mm PWK on my WR 360 and it works very well. My impression is that the non-airstriker PWK still works better than the TMX on the bottom(I have tried both on the 360). The 300 and 360 should both have enough vacuum pressure and low throttle position air velocity to make it work quite well.
  7. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    I do remember the manual saying it was a Keihin 38 PWK -because I was psyched about it. Made me feel like the WR and I were meant to be!
    I just looked up the parts on a Yamaha oem fiche. One of the wires/plugs is a fuel cut solenoid the other is for throttle sensor assy.
    Inoticed that the TMX doesn't have those electonic gizmos. Carb should still work properly though, right? Do you think this will be a problem?
  8. BillO Husqvarna
    AA Class

The TPS means nothing to the Husky. Just remove it. The shut-off solenoid should be fine if it is normally open.
  9. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    Saweeeeeet!! Thank you!
  10. Pinittowinit Husqvarna
    AA Class

Anyone tried a 36?