1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Keihin Pwk39 Airstriker A Dream To Jet Not

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Kica canalong, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Kica canalong Husqvarna

just bought a wr 360 with a pwk39 air striker having read the comments on this about the airstriker i thought great as i ride at 900m compared to sealevel for the previos owner it shuold be close and not to hard to lean it out a little for the altitude.that is till my 1st 2 rides, down hill closed throttle and the engine would just die in the arse, fouling the plug i thought, no probs, everyone says how easy these carbs are to jet. not so 1) the online instructions for the float height has more juice going out the overflow than in my engine, ok used my head and guestimated 2) now for the pilot jet, sorry no dealers within a hours ride stock them and keihin australia sends me to another site that only lists jets which means a week or two wait after an online purchase.which brings me to problem number 3) how the bleep do i get the jet needle out. Once apon a time you just up ended the slide and out fell a plate and the needle now you have to, it seems have a 4mm socket to remove the slightly damaged cable holder, progress i spose 4) A cable holder which i couldnt turn for love or money, once rounded completely, pliers screwdrivers and vicegrips faired no better so please is there a trick or do i just drill the sucker out and where in hell can you purchase (preferably in australia but elsewhere and a 2 week wait if i have to) parts other than jets for keihin carbs in particular a cable holder or do i just go and buy a mukini thanks Kica
  2. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    I have adapted one of these pwk 39 carburetors to a bike that goes in the vintage section on here and can comment to some degree. Mine isn't the air striker (and my literature shows an air striker in 38 but the 39 is not the quad vent air striker) but that shouldn't effect these issues. As best as I can tell there isn't a needle jet. You use different needles. I have wandered around on line parts sheets for various pwk carbs and even the ones (smaller diameter) which do have a dedicated needle jet there is only one choice.

I started out out at this internet address http://www.sudco.com/Carburetor01.html It may take a bunch of work and reasoning and pasting stuff in the address bar but it is possible to get to pictures of the carb and sheets on what effects what part of the throttle opening and all the pieces you could get. I can email attachments of them if you pm me a real email address as I had to do pint screen and save as a picture to print them out. I didn't find much detail about the slides and what they do. I got my parts from a place called magic racing not sure how I ended up there but strangely they had every needle and idle or pilot jet I chose out of lots. Of course I have no idea if they do international shipping.

I didn't have any problem with that little hex head thing to change the needle. You kind of need to make up a little tool kit for changing the pieces. Did you start out with a six point socket or nut driver?
  3. Kica canalong Husqvarna

started out with a socket but as i said it was already slightly damaged and i couldn't budge it and now it is rounded with further damage either side of the slot, it was so tight on i started to think it was a reverse thread, from my searches so far (including sudco and the listed aussie dealer) they show lots of jets, needles (even full tuning sets) but so far no slides or other parts.Have sent emails to these sites asking if they can supply that hex nut can even tell you the catalogue number(14) and the part number(18-526) and its generic name (cable holder) but no one lists them on their site and so far none of the sites have replied to my emails so at the moment i have a bike that is unreliable unless i carry half a dozen spare plugs on me so at the moment am frustrated enough to throw the keihin away and go buy a mukini either way it looks as if it could be a month or more before i can use the bike "not happy Jan" (from an aussie advert)
  4. utopia Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250, WXC125
    Try jetsrus.com

I did the same thing (rounded off the cable holder) and jetsrus was the only place I could find one without getting the whole slide. They were quick to get me the parts and they have a good selection of needles, jets, and other stuff.

After struggling to try and get the cable holder out, I finally used a torch to carefully heat the slide around it and it came right out with a pair of needlenose vice-grips. I'll never overtighten that thing again! Good luck.
    ohmygewd likes this.
  5. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    Keihin jet should be easily to found in Oz cos KTM's run keihin's and KX's !!!

Whereabouts are ya in Oz? Wreckers probably won't sell you just the nut so the best bet is try what utopia said.
  6. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Thats happened to me couple of times. Try and find a 12 point socket that barely fits over the (Whole) throttle cable holder (Not the little hex nut you rounded off). Tap the socket down over it, to press it on. Be careful not to damage your slide or bend your needle while pressing (Tapping) it on. Should come right off. Use antiseize on the threads from now on and don't tighten the heck out of it.
  7. steadydirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 2002 wr 250 1994 wxe 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    fj 1100 cb500 cb350 rt 200 xs 650
    It is a 6 mm is it not?- You can make a simple T handle for this job from a new 6mm Allan bolt -just weld an old bolt onto the thread end at 90 degrees and you have a T handle for free.
    good luck. By the way, the throttle cable will over time dump dirt and water that has penetrated the throttle mechanism right into the carb on top of this cable holder nut. This might have caused the problem over time -especially if you are in a humid area
  8. Kica canalong Husqvarna

thanks for your suggestions have now found some one with them in stock so i ordered 2