1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Keihin tuning help required...

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Sandgroper, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

As some of you know I fitted the Keihin carb to my 09 300 and all was fine on my first road test ride.

Todays ride didnt go as well, dont get me wrong it went way better than the Mikuni :) but I need some advice on how to get the most from the top end.

There is still some hesitation/bog in the tail end of winding her fully open in the desert/under load. Until she warmed up (after 10mins or so) she was hesitating on full throttle. Once warm it tended to pull harder up top until she bogged down in the last part of winding her open.

Current setup is:
    Keihin Airstryker PWK 38mm
    Jetted with a 45 pilot jet
    175 main jet
    Blue needle in the 3rd clip from top down.
    My current running conditons are:
    Mix 40:1 (approx as mixing on the trails sometimes)
    Oil: Castrol Power RS TTS Ful Synthetic.
    Elevation 0-300mtrs
    Temp - 15- 35 degrees C
    Humidity 40 - 60%

Type of riding desert, soft sand (fast trails)

Also any advice/links on the Keihin carb and servicing them would be appreciated so I dont screw it up altogether as I would like to do this myself so I dont have to leave my bike at the shop for a week. ie How to adjust the needle from lean to rich. What is being referred to when they say 2 or 3 clicks out?
    :D

CHeers
    S
  2. letitsnow Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    CBR600F4
    I would try a 180 main.
  3. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    42 pilot
    175 main
    red needle 2nd clip from top

I'd start there and then fine tune.
  4. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

i can't believe the 3rd clip could possibly run well. not sure of your elevation and temps, but for me at 2500' and 50 degrees, clip 1 is perfect. clip 2 would be way too rich. clip 3 would be exceedingly difficult to start.
  5. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

I agree with PC! Maybe 1st clip! That,s exactly my setup except pilot, where i have a 40 at sealevel at your temp! Works perfect! Now we have 5-10 degrees C and i have red needle in 2nd clip, 42 pilot and 180 main.

Johnny
  6. letitsnow Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    CBR600F4
    If the throttle is wide open when the problem occurs, I doubt that the needle will affect anything.:excuseme:
  7. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
  8. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

All this is positive as it gives me somewhere to start from.

Setting the clip position, is this where the needle attaches to the inside of the throttle slider?

How do you adjust the clip position?
  9. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Today I drained all the fuel out and remixed a new batch so I had an exact idea of what was in the tank.
    Now first things first I made an overcalculation on the oil mix as I thought I was running it way to rich to start with at 40:1 so I went the otherway to 25:1

What this resulted in was a small loss of bottom end and some sputtering mid throttle.
    The top end however pulled like a freight train :)
    This was also my first test ride running 14/45. On the road she managed 145klm hr..
    Means I can happily cruise at 100klm hr without reving its nuts off for long periods in open desert ;)

Where I go from here Im not sure.

James from JD Jetting got back to me and suggested try the 170 jet. Above it sways the other way with some suggesting the 180.
    To avoid fouling plugs I migh remix it at 35:1 and try another jet.
  10. letitsnow Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    CBR600F4
    You need to find the ratio that you want to use and stick with it. You then need to jet for the ratio that you decide.

And I wouldn't suggest anymore top speed road rides until you get the jetting sorted... :eek:
  11. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Sounds like a plan. I will try it with 35:1 and go from there.

On a side note, if I run 14/40 with supermoto wheels I think this bike could be fun on the road as well :)
  12. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    mix : try 40 (or 50):1.

please follow the directions in the link i posted above. be methodical and logical. theres no magic to it. it's simple physics.

just made a quick 30$ jetting my neighbors XR400. in 15 mins it went from stalling, popping, hard to start to 1 kick burning rubber and wheelieing down the driveway (after he spent 100$ at the dealer yesterday who did it wrong). yours will too, Sandygropper, just take your time and be methodical, identify the circuit that has an issue, make one SMALL adjustment at a time, re-test and record your results. be patient and thorough.

yer 300 is one of the fastest, best running bikes out there right now and soon you'll be braaaaaaaap! & all smiles, i guarantee it! :) :thumbsup:
  13. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks for the advice PVduke, taken onboard ;)

Sometimes when your left to your opwn devices you start experimenting and straying off track.

I'll drain her out again and try your suggestions :)
  14. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    If you are in the desert I try leaning the needle - as per prev posts
    By raising the clip on the needle one setting this will lower needle and reduce fuel
    I recently had same issue with my PWK and was surprised that one clip setting helped mid to top end.
    With mine this worked for higher revs but there was a small response bog so I think a leaner 170 main would suit mine and the needle in th emiddle to stop bog down low. This may be similar with yours but 300 s dont seem to bog as much
  15. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yeah Im really supprised at the lack of Bog compared to my old KTM 300 EXC (which I only had for a very short while) The husky is a totally different beast for an enduro weapon :)
    Even with 14/45 in the sand and running a bit rough it still pulled strong from the bottom compared to the ktm.

Cant wait to get it sorted and then ad the RACE HEAD ! (when it arrives) :)
  16. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Today I moved back to 40:1 mix and replaced the 175 main jet with the 170.

For the time being this works pretty good with solid pull across the board. Running 14/45 in the desert today went well. She hunted down those 4 strokes with ease out in the open. The bottom end is more tame and she tractors without stalling at amazingly low revs.

Any problems in the way it runs now while out on the trail is put down to my mixing ability (or inability) at the gas pump. I still dont like pouring oil straight into the tank and shaking the bike as I dont have a container to mix in. I have a feeling this impacts the smooth running somewhat.
  17. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    you have a computer but no gas can??? :confused: if you add oil first, then gas, you run the risk of filling your petcock with oil. pre-mix is just that. mix first, then fill tank, then verify main jet.

check your plug, you have checked your plug haven't you? please verify your main jet and check your plug.