1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Kick starter options?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by venturini, Apr 5, 2013.

1. venturini Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '15 TC 250 '13 CR 150 '11 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 KTM 250 XC
    Does anyone know of any aftermarket or cross-reference option for a different kick starter for a 2013 CR125. The top part just feels to short to me---I'm looking for something that would give a more "positive purchase", i.e. longer so that my whole boot (size 9) would fill it up.
  2. Aviduser Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 cr 165
    Not sure but have you owned the bike long? I found it odd at first but am pretty used to it now.
  3. 72racerx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13 WR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 VFR800
    I have gotten used to mine as they don't seem to have a great deal of compression to kick over in the first place. I'm also a size 9 hoof.
  4. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    LoL...welcome to the world of the quirky Husky kickstarter!!! Don't worry mate, you'll get use to it before long...hey it's a 125, can't be that friggin hard to start:thumbsup:
  5. Jersey Woods I live to ride !

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 150 2018 TE 150
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM EXC 250 F Honda 300 ATV
    I thought they were too short when I got mine last June... But I got used to it real fast.... They start real easy with very little effort..
  6. bdl507 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    99 wr360
    Other Motorcycles:
    rd350 dr650 tt500 pe250 hondas lots
    You think its a small kick starter with size 9 foot it looks like a toy with size 12 boots lol. I find I use the ball of my foot to start it more ofter then the arch of my foot. I was thinking about adding an inch to the tip of the kick starter.
  7. DTX915 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kdx200 tt500 yz450 klx125
    Use to start a xr100 by hand. Just reach down an spin it over by hand. This past weekend after loosing spark I found myself just rolling over my wr144 by hand. After I get it fixed I will just try to start it by hand. So I may end up with a cast or not.

Is rather short aint it.
  8. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I know Kelly was thinking of making a better kicker for the 165's. They still start pretty easy so I think he has tabled that project. You might PM him and see if he wants to revisit that project.
    typeone likes this.
  9. venturini Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 KTM 250 XC
    Yeah, I was shocked to see that the compression ratio is only 8.8:1. A lot could be easily gained, I think, from bumping up the compression. Does the WB165 kit use a flat or domed pistion? Do you know the compression ratio for the 165 kit?

Back to the kickstarter----I was thinking of getting an extra OEM kickstarter and having my father weld an extension on it---then the shop owner quoted me something like $130 (only sold as an assembly)---so I said "no thanks", I'll try to get used to it.

In the back of my mind I thought I'd seen that a lever off of a certain year YZ would work but that might be for the GasGas I used to own------that kickstart lever sucked BIG TIME---just a short but for a 250 engine.
  10. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    The problem isn't really the short lever per se, it's the position of the actual kicker mechanism being up high compared to other bikes...grafting a higher lever, you'll probably end up kneeing yourself :p
  11. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR
    i've been waiting for Kelly to make a new kicker, already broke my stock one, i'm sure it will happen again.

bike starts really easy, but i dont trust the stock unit.
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I was looking into it but it would cost to much and there is not much room to make it longer if you run a large tank. Shelved that one.
  13. venturini Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 KTM 250 XC
    But if the only option available to the Husqvarna owner is the stock unit at $130 we are kinda screwed. If it was just higher quality and wider at the top, it could prove popular, even at $75-$100. Then again, it's not my money being invested to make the unit to begin with so it's easy for me to say that they'd sell well.
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Lots of angles, cross drilling, hole milling, just adds up to too much money. Plus that fact that i could make a stronger one but not a longer one and still work with big tanks. It is not dead but also not priority.