1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Kill switch install

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Rob09, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Rob09 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511
    Hey guys, new member coming from a Yamaha YZ background who has finally bought an 09 WR 250 that I have wanted since I first saw an 07 article in a magazine. I'm loving the look of the bike, the fact it's road registered and the ease of riding over the YZ.
    I loved the YZ's, but I used to get off a YZ after a days riding feeling it. I've only owned the Husky a week, but it seems to heve the same pace with maybe 2/3 of the effort required.
    Anyway, the reason for the post. I will be riding around on the bike a bit, and obviously the bike has no key ignition, so I have bought a switch to install as a kill switch. I realise this doesn't offer complete protection, I'm just trying to stop some idiot jumping on and riding away.

I have a switch and a position, I just need to wire it in. I'm assuming the factory engine stop switch is the easiest place to go. Following the wires from the main switch bank (blinkers, horn, lights, engine stop ect) back, I find these wires all converge in this one plug.

[IMG]

Am I right in assuming there are two wires here I can just put a simple switch between that if circut is open (or closed) it wont start, yet if switch is switched (making it either closed or open) it will operate as normal?

As I said, I know this is not a substitute for a lock, ect, but if I want to stop for a coffee ect, I'll feel better knowing someone can't just jump on, kick start it and ride away.

Thanks in advance for anyones help.
  2. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    i did away with that whole switchblock because the original kill switch permanently 'switched'!just got an aftermarket spring back type kill switch(mx style) & plugged the 2 wires into the corresponding holes in the female plug(traced em back from original kill switch to plug). not real pretty but works well. the switch just joins the circuit i think cutting out the engine. make sure you hide that switch well & watch whos watchin when you pull up for your latte'! im sure someone will have a better option than this but like i said it works
  3. AUSKY Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE510 96 WR125 00 WR360 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    1999 XR250 83 YZ 490
    Use the light blue/grey & blue wires.
    Using a normally open switch between them will ground the CDI. When you switch it, it will close the circuit.
    Just be sure that when you position the switch, it cant be knocked easily as it will shut the bike off when your riding it.
    If you are not sure, put a multi meter on ohms between the two wires & press the stop button, the circuit will close when the stop button is pressed.
    Enjoy your Latte' Rob
  4. Rob09 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511
    Thanks guys, that was what I needed. Wires weren't right (well one was), but after a bit of fun with the multi meter, it's all working now. Not a lot of security, but at least I have have my latte' in peace. Thanks for your help, will post pics of the new beast when I'm done (Read: It's back together. Yep, I'll just change the parking light to an LED.............. and now the bikes is in bits in the garage, and I have new helmet, boots, goggles, jersy/pants/gloves, armour, wheels, tyres, all on the way.). God bless online shopping.
  5. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    bloody electricians! :)
  6. AUSKY Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE510 96 WR125 00 WR360 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles: