KTM 690 Duke vs. Husqvarna TR650 Strada!

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by TRIPLE-M, Apr 23, 2013.

1. TRIPLE-M Husqvarna
    AA Class

2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Repost but a really good one. :thumbsup:
  3. street2dirt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 TXC310, WR300, 85 125WR, 82 175XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G650X
    Very nice, Wow someone actually chose the better bike instead of the popular one..................
    john01 likes this.
  4. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Wow that was good to hear...the truth :applause:.
  5. Blazes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Eddie Seel 634SMR works Replica -
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilla Dosodoro 2X 2009 610
    I actually rode a demo KTM Duke here in SA -- Was planning to get it for my girlfriend --did not like it at all and decided to get her a Aprilla Dorsodura like mine instead -- Must say good to hear the Husky is a better deal -- unfortunately Husky in SA were not prepared to let me have a demo to ride --But Aprilla had no issues :)
  6. Chilly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Great video, really well done production. But, I guess I wouldn't come very close to agreeing with the testers conclusions. My experiences riding the bikes was very different. I agree that there are some very good points about the Husky, but they missed some big assets of the KTM too.

The first is the slipper clutch. I can't hardly begin to explain how big a difference it makes for aggressive street riding. The vibration issue they talk about was nonexistent on the Duke I tested and I am pretty sure it was the same bike. As for the perceived lack of torque, a flip of the stock map switch significantly changes those characteristics. The fuel injection on the Duke is much smoother also.

Of course the price point of the Strada is great (particularly today), but the true value difference is not as great as they would have you think. You certainly get what you pay for with the Duke. It is a pretty good value in it's own right. It is a shame the the TR will probably be a one or two year only model.

I do want to point out one particular thing; the cool rear wheel slides they were doing in the opening of the video were awesome, but they are just so far beyond the kind of thing that I consider real world testing. Most of us would end up in a violent high side if we tried that. I watched similar antics (accidental) by journalists at the TR press intro. There were a couple of scary moments when a downshift would accidentally break the rear end loose and then it would catch violently again, the kind of thing that leads to a high side. The slipper clutch on the Duke makes this nearly impossible, as they said, they had to disable the ABS and use the brakes create those cool slides.

I agree that the Strada probably handles better across a wide variety of terrain. The Duke is full sport bike and is held back by its non-adjustable suspension.
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I don't need a slipper clutch on my TR and never even considered one on any bike. I am not going to SM race on my 400 pound adventure bike. FI smoother on the Duke, must be amazing because mine is as smooth as can be on my TR. Way smooth, love it. Rear wheel slides? Don't need a slipper to avoid because you would have to try hard to do it. I have had this happen many times on other bikes, it is fun, kinda like it. My 650 superhawk used to do this all the time. Thought it was odd at first then started exaggerating it as it was fun. My 610 in SM form would do this too. fun. My TR? Not noticed it. Slides real nice in gravel. I get your points but all are completely non issues for me and my TR. About my only wish for the TR is adjustable suspension.
  8. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I haven't had the pleasure of riding either bike but...the guy on the KTM voice sure did studder when he talked and the guy on the Husky was studder free :D. Sure sounded like the Husky was a smoother ride.
  9. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Anyone else find the comparison a bit odd?

The Strada could easily be ridden more off road with more dirt oriented tires, but personally I would never consider doing that on the ktm they are talking about with the exhaust so low to the ground.
  10. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Strada='s a Good all round bike which is really a pretty hard thing to achieve. Well done
  11. Chilly Husqvarna
    AA Class

My point isn't to say that I think one bike is better than the other. Heck they are all KTM's now anyway, so I guess I can finally be exempted from the claim that I bash Husky's.

As someone who takes the job of testing bike very seriously, I just gag when I see such a crap piece of work, awesome video but terrible work at testing bikes. These bikes are vastly different from each other mechanically and in feel. But from watching this review, it just glosses over nearly all of the real comparisons of hard parts. Consider this; these guys spent less than a full day testing and that had to include all of the video that was shot. Looking a the high video production values, I can only conclude that the actual ride time was very short.

Probably the best example is the discussion of suspension. If your only knowledge of these bikes came from this test, you would have to conclude that the Strada was better simply because it has more travel. But why is more travel assumed to be better? In reality the KTM suspension has some real short comings, the shock it is way under valved, but there isn't any discussion about that. That is just one of many issues that were never touched on, including,transmission, clutch, gearing, mapping options, etc.

The TR and Strada are certainly the kind of bikes that our market needs. The Duke is a very different kind of bike from either. I feel this is a really poor piece of work overall, it doesn't really do justice to either bike. I don't see that it should be lauded just for saying the Husky is best.
  12. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Question: what bike do you think comes closest to the TR650? I certainly cannot think of any, not really.

Yes I thought the review was very superficial, and I had assumed that was fairly obvious for most that view this site. Possibly the type of thing that would be suitable on one of the cable / satellite tv shows on a Saturday afternoon who knows little about either bike but found bikes interesting in general.
  13. Sparrowhawk Husqvarna
    AA Class

G650GS
  14. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Possibly the closest match, yes. But it does not seem they are that close, at least to me.
  15. Sparrowhawk Husqvarna
    AA Class

That's the cool thing about this sector. None of the thumpers are alike. Sport bikes are alike. Cruisers are alike. Even big adventure bikes are alike. But look at the range in thumpers. KLXS, WRR, LC4, DRZ, XRL, TR, GGS, SERTAO, DR, KLR, Duke, CFL, etc. None are really alike.
    Coffee likes this.
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I was not saying that at all simply my input as a TR rider with over 1000 miles on one on and off road.
  17. Chilly Husqvarna
    AA Class

So I couldn't resist, I went and did a little behind the scenes industry digging on this one. Turns out the testers had bashed the exhaust into the frame on the Duke when they were filming their antics. Sure enough, the thing vibrated like crazy and didn't make any power.
    duggoey likes this.
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    You can clearly see the muffler in many of the sliding shots like at the opening it it looks fine. So I am guessing they got some riding in before bashing it? Just another good reason to get the TR. Although you better put a skid plate on it before bashing the engine! That oil line is scary.