1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st KTM vs Husky ignitions

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by BillO, Apr 1, 2011.

1. BillO Husqvarna
    AA Class

It seems that the KTM Kokusan ignitions (125/144/150) are virtually identical to the Husky Kokusan items. Other than the base plate for the stator and the mounting tab on the CDI unit they should be replaceable. Has anyone ever tried a KTM ignition on their WR125?

Most KTMs 2Ts use the very same components so they are readily available and MUCH cheaper than the Husky items.
  2. BillO Husqvarna
    AA Class

Well, I guess that's a no, or...

Any who..., I'll try it.
  3. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/08-cr125-with-ktm-125-lighting-stator-howd-ya-do-that.2755/

I did this mod and took some pictures a little while ago. Check it out!
    It worked well, but I think I damaged the ignition coil windings when changing things over. As a result, the ignition failed in the woods after several rides. Oh, well. I ended up just getting the CR stator rewound.

If you are trying to do the CR ignition mod on a WR to get mo' powah, you'd absolutely need the CDI black box to get the main advantage of the swap, i.e., different spark timing. Using the KTM CDI would make an interesting experiment.
  4. BillO Husqvarna
    AA Class

Saw that, nice job. I was thinking more like the whole enchilada though. Stator, pick-up, CDI and ignition coil. I was able to score an entire EXC ignition for under $200. The best I could do on a CR ignition was $350. Both used. I have two brand new WR150's (and '09 and a '10 with OEM 150 kits) to compare results. No time-line on this yet, but this spring sometime.
  5. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

As long as you get an appropriately sized flywheel, then you should be golden. I don't know if the KTM flywheel will fit on the Husky crank, but I do know that the WR flywheel is too big to work with the CR stator. Then the olnly other variable would be whether the KTM ignition timing is optimized to work with the KTM ports and cylinder, but maybe not so optimized with the Husky. I bet it works for you.
  6. BillO Husqvarna
    AA Class

I got a couple of CR flywheels. Thrown in on previous parts hunts (before the CR ignition became so 'hot'). I can sometimes be a bit of a junk collector ... especially when it comes to bikes...

Edit: Theoretically, ignition timing should be fairly independent of port timing. In reality it may be related to exhaust port timing, especially at higher RPM but I don't think it's critically linked. We'll see. I'll have a CR ignition to compare it to.