KTM withdraws from Dakar Rally

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Norman Foley, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
  2. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    He can't ride his Husky 510 rally bike, either... :mad:

ASO really should have made this decision at least a full year before the start of the race. A lot of planning is coming to a screeching halt today, and a lot of blood, sweat, tears and money has gone down the drain...all for naught.

WoodsChick
  3. raisrx251 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I really don't blame KTM for doing that and doing it quick. They have spent tons of money in designing bikes for that purpose. Kind of makes you wonder what were they thinking. At least give a year or two down the road will only be 450cc bikes.
  4. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    KTM needs to start their own rally.
  5. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

hmmmmmmm.:thinking:
  6. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Hey Scot!

Ktm Husky Sherco...

Over 450 class only :lol:
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    TM, GasGas... :D
  8. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Call it the Rakad (pronounced Rah cod).

(spell it backwards)
  9. BlipBlip! Husqvarna
    AA Class

K T M S U C K S :lol:
  10. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    I bet inside the "KTM Cave" they are really over the moon that they will be saving many Euros in this deal!:busted:
  11. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    This is a crazy tangent, but last week I was on my TE. I was at a stop light and a guy on a KTM 690, clearly a 690 with the trellis frame and clutch side pipe was at the other side. He didn't even give me the nod. It's like he saw the H and felt ashamed and looked away. :confused:
  12. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Well, it's hard to be humble when you are sitting on something less than a Husqvarna and then you end up having to sit right in ones shadow.:lol:
  13. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Who can blame Orange?

They proved their point over and over dominating this event for nearly a decade. It was good for them, but now its sort of ho humm. Plus it has cost them considerably in terms of human costs. To say nothing of the financial investments.

They have been totally reamed 3 times now from ASO changing the game, or just not having the game at all, with little if any thoughts of the impacts to KTM.

Its logical their 450's will still be raced, as kits from the likes of Meca Systems and others are readily available now.

--------

What is of most interest to me is how this will play out in terms of the major and some minor teams, and what if any will happen from other manufacturers. From Sherco to BMW to Honda to Husky to Husaberg to the various large Chinese motorcycle manufacturers...surely there are many emails going back and forth and surely some old time Dakar hands are wondering 'what if we...'

Time will tell.

----------

I will say this:
    The 450's need repeated engine changes along the way, and this is very costly. I think this makes the race more a rich mans game, and not less, and thats a bummer to my mind.

There is another, emerging, race that has potential to be a paradigm shift away from the ASO event: Africarace.com.-- but for now they dont have the incredible press coverage that Dakar gets.

No matter what it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Surely the TE450 with its counterbalanced motor and SS valves and fuel injection is a good choice. :thumbsup:
  14. Bobby Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TXC310Rx2,
    Other Motorcycles:
    G450X, HP2E, 10 R12ADV, GasGas280
    The BMW G450X survived this years Dakar with the SAME ENGINE and a couple of G450X's placed very well in the AfricaRace without any engine replacement,..........no real engine mods other then full disassembly, clean up/blue print and then reassembly. Of the 450's, the BMW is very reliable and a great platform for a rally conversion.
  15. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Heres a thought:

With KTM pulling out of dakar and no more big bikes allowed---

How will this effect Husky's plans with the TE610?

If i was in charge i would keep the current TE610 and market it as an upgrade to the DRz400 crowd. Thats a big crowd.

I wouldnt come out with a new, and most importantly 'more expensive' TE650 type bike. I would keep it the way it is, charge around $7800 (thats right in between the DRz and the 690 KTM) and then promote the bike to the guys with the Zukes who want a bit more.

Just a thought.
  16. Sounds like a super market strategy for the line to me.
  17. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

My Husky super market strategy is to strap no more than one bag's worth onto a Motosportz luggage rack.
  18. London610 Husqvarna
    B Class

Good Market strategy, but please don't let that mean that the new SM650 (don't quote that - but it's due for upgrade now) won't come out. I can't wait to see what the new bikes like.

On a side note I test rode a TC450 out of Huskysport a couple of weeks ago whilst my SM was in service. Had an absolute blast and for someone who has no real off road experience and had never rode on propper knobblies before i had a right laugh and would happily ride through Africa on one in the Africa Race if someone was crazy and stupid enough to sponser me. My only notable entry on my cv would be that i used to courier in central london on an sm610 so saddletime is no probs and half of London's roads can be classed as off road at times anyways. Awesome fun. :cheers:

Just had a look at the Africa Race website for the first time and saw this at the top of the news:

KTM ENTERS THE AFRICA ECO RACE 2010

The organisation of the AFRICA ECO RACE is pleased to announce the entry of KTM Customer Service on the 2010 edition.

This decision will both satisfy those KTM competitors who have already entered the race, but also responds to the wishes of those who have approached the organisation for their assistance.

Just in case no one else had seen it.

SM 610 08' In London Town :applause::lol::p:cheers::applause: