1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Larger Fuel Tank

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by spud1968, Oct 26, 2012.

1. spud1968 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Whilst i'm saving up for an IMS 2.9 gallon tank for my 2009 WR125 i've been looking for a temporary tank which will help be complete a two hour race without a refill in the next couple of weeks time. My 7ltr tank, which this is the claimed size but is more like 6-6.5ltrs only allows me 1.4 hours riding. Do any of you know which other bikes fuels tanks will fit my bike with a larger capacity, im surfing fleebay as i type this?

thanks,
  2. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

If you are looking for a temporary fix, get an MSR Dromedary 4 litre bag. Place it in a numberplate tool/tube bag with a tube running to your cap vent. It will syphon the gas out until it is empty. Takes about 10 seconds to unscrew the top off the bag and then it vents so you don't vacuum lock the tank. These bags are really tough and I have yet to have one fail. I filled one cold, placed it in the sun and then dropped a 50# sack of fertilizer on it. They are labeled for water but will take any kind of fuel. Whenever I have to pack gas I use one in my back pack. You can get all kinds of attachments for the screw top to make this work. When it is empty it folds up very small and weighs nothing. Only down side is getting it unhooked before it is completely empty so you don't starve out but not leave much gas in the bag.
    lankydoug likes this.
  3. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    That's a great suggestion and one I could live with as opposed to an ill fitting tank. I'd favor the number plate idea over wearing a gallon of gas any day.
  4. Toro618 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    This is a nice idea. By a "tube running to your cap vent", do you mean a tube from the MSR cap into the gas tank cap vent in place of the standard vent tube? So I assume the vent tube will syphon the gas from the MSR bag into the fuel tank as the fuel level in the tank drops?
  5. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

That is correct. These bags have a large diameter filler cap with a smaller adapter cap. They offer a cap for this so you could use it as water bag in your back pack and fit it with a mouth bite valve. I use this with some gas vent hose to the gas cap. All you do is unscrew the little top cap when the bag is empty. I also have installed a tee in the line with a quick on off valve in the third line to make this easier and faster just switch it open and run. Also doesn't leak if there is fuel still in the bag. Even when I know I am not going to need any extra gas I keep a litre or so in one on my back. Sure makes it easy to transfer gas also if you need to.
  6. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I initially always used the number plate bag. Once I was comfortable with the durability over time I have just packed one when I need less than 1/2 gallon and dumped it in at the first break. For racing the number plate bag works great as its bulk/weight completely disappears as you use the gas. I know I found a number plate bag that holds the 4 liter bag full and had multiple straps so it was completely secure in every way.
  7. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    Does anybody have a photo of a late model 125/144 running the IMS tank? What's the fitment like?
  8. Gotlabs Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 CR144 X 2!
    I just sent mine back a couple weeks ago. With the tank installed, I could not remove the seat without loosening the tank bolt. It is a little wider also.
  9. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    I don't have a pic, but my 2011 CR 150 came with the IMS tank, and the fit was fine. No problems with the seat, or shrouds.
  10. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    Both of these are 09's...
    [IMG]
    3 more 09's...
    [IMG]
    And one more because I like the picture of my brother riding Shanes 09.

[IMG]

Later,
    bigjon likes this.
  11. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    Well they at least look good in those photos! Thanks.
  12. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm resurrecting an old thread, but I thought I would chime in.

I just installed an IMS 2.9 on my 2012 WB165. The fit was good, but not perfect. I had to wrestle a little to push the seat far enough forward to catch the Dzus fastener. The shrouds went on pretty easily--just a little pushing to get the shrouds to conform to the tank and get the bolts to catch.

I love the included petcock with reserve, as well as the hardware required to mount up a second tap for the right side. I already had this setup on my stock tank, but I was very happy to see it on the IMS, too. I also love how easily the IMS fuel cap is to install and remove. My stocker was a bit of a bear.

What I'm not too thrilled with is the added capacity. I measured just shy of 1 liter added capacity, which converts to 0.24 gallon. Every little extra bit counts, but I was hoping for the advertised 0.4 gallon increase over the stock 2.5 gallon tank. As is, my 14.4 mpg race pace rate of consumption will translate into just shy of 40 miles. This is right on the edge of enough fuel for my typical hare scramble. I'm racing this weekend. Should be interesting.
  13. Watky Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Wr150
    The IMS tank was modified in 2011 due to fit problems wasn't it ? I wonder if thats the reason for the slightly lower capacity.
    For the cost of the IMS tank the advertised 1.5 litre gain over stock wasn't the greatest. Now hearing you only gain 1 litre it hardly makes it worth while at all. The only bonus would be the translucent tank.

I bought two 500ml Trangia fuel bottle's for cheap, both fit in the side pockets of the exotec RP3 race hydro armour backpack.
    If you had a hydro pack with greater capacity you could purchase the 750ml or 1 litre bottles.
    Trangia safe fuel bottles http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/products/Trangia-Fuel-Bottle-0-5L.aspx?pid=132499#Cross