1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st leaking fork seals

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by buzuki, Nov 19, 2010.

1. buzuki Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300 '09
    Other Motorcycles:
    KDX200,KX125,CR250,50cc quad,
    Well my wr300 spat both fork seals bout a month ago.

Bike is still under warranty.

Rang husky dealer and they said they'd only warrant them if it had under 150klms!

Sound fair?

I wasnt expecting them to say yes, but clearly the warranty aint worth the paper its printed on in some cases.

Thoughts?
  2. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

been there. Many times with many bikes over the years. Sad fact is we race in dirt....dirt gets in seals and or wears seals. Seals then leak. It is the nature of the hobby. Not what you want to hear but a fact and probably why they gave that answer. It was worth the try though.
  3. buzuki Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300 '09
    Other Motorcycles:
    yeah true, but they are made for this stuff.

Just didnt want to fork out $90 for new seals, think ill source aftermarket ones for much less and hope for the best.

Just stripped the rear end to regrease, was still pretty good, only bearing which was dry was bottom shock mount, there was nothing in it pretty much.
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    We (motosportz) sell the oem ones for $25 a pair. Buy a seal driver and learn to do them (super EZ) and then your ready for next time. :thumbsup:
  5. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I battled my fork seals on my 300, put on a set of sealsavers and have not had a issue since.
  6. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Go get an old roll of 35mm film. Pull your wipers down and clean wiper/and up against the seal. Spray little WD 40 on a piece of 35mm film that you cut (Cut one end @45 degree angle) and slide it up under the seal and rotate it to pull any dirt out. Use the 45 degree angle as your leading edge and it will pull the dirt down out from under the seal. Most times this will fix leaks do to dirt up under the seals. Put you some Shock Sox or Seal Savers on the keep them clean in the future. Try it cheep fix if it works.

Thanx!
  7. 2stroked Husqvarna
    A Class

I've never replaced my seals, I have had one start leaking a bit and did the film thing and that cleared it up.
    I ride year round usually there is mud, I pop the dust seals and clean under them and then put some white grease under the dust seals just make sure you clean them out the, grease gets contaminated with dirt
  8. buzuki Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300 '09
    Other Motorcycles:
    yeah i had one leak a while back and cleaned it, worked for a while, but it spat it on the trailer on the way to go riding, and yes i was using a suspension chock.

The other i noticed leaking after i did the ride.

Funnily enough i rode it last weekend and the front end still feels the same even after some oil loss.

May have to buy some from motorsportz, r n d husky here is 90 bucks for genuine.

Ill throw some stubby coolers on with it when i do it :D
  9. Anthony_1978 Husqvarna
    AA Class

i replaced my seals with All balls triple lipped seals and dust covers, no leak since, done 2000kms, i also installed long fork covers, clean with film every second ride and use waterproof grease under the dust seal

Attached Files:

10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Feeler gauges work too. :thumbsup:
  11. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

what works even better is spending the 45 mins it takes to pull the forks apart and carefully wipe out the inside of the seals (or replace them). I'm not a big fan of trying to clean under the seals except in a short-term emergency (like at camp) because you're just going to force dirt in past the seals and into the internals of your forks where it can accelerate the wear of everything else.

If you ride in mud, take a moment to wipe off the forks when you stop for snacks or whatever. if the mud dries while you're lunching, it's that much easier for it to get forced past the seals. After washing my bike ( i.e, not very often, lol) I squirt a little wd40 or pledge around the dust wipers, bounce the fork up and down a few times, then wipe everything clean. this gets ride of hard water spots and leaves small layer of lubrication around the seal.
  12. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

I guess I'm lazy. I put seal savers on the last 5 bikes I purchased and have never had a seal leak.
  13. buzuki Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300 '09
    Other Motorcycles:
    my fork covers look the same as yours ant, and i use marine grease between the 2 seals. I normally clean with the thinnest feeler guage.

This time i think im out of luck and will replace them, they've had a hard time, mud, motocross etc. 1100klms i think is ok
  14. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Using that grease to fill in the gap between the saver and actual seal looks like a good idea ... I'll be filling that air gap up later this week ..
  15. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

that maintenance item is actually listed in the factory work shop manual