lectron bowl warp

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by justintendo, Sep 21, 2014.

1. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    well i finally figured out how ive twice found water laying in my clear bowl..front of bowl was starting to get wet with fuel, figured i better check it out. i had never touched the screws for the bowl, and when i finally removed and dissembled it, it does not appear the screws were improperly torqued. yesterday i washed the bike spraying lightly on the bowl area and bam water was in it. you can see a gap on all four sides of the bowl..i never use or own a pressure washer.
    called kevin and he said they have actually just developed a new bowl which he would give at half price. the previous 5 or so times i washed the bike lectron equipped i had no problems with water getting in..hopefully this fixes it as i have no other problems yet. i think the clear plastic bowl is too good to be true, i hope im wrong! it still looks brand new other than the gaps..
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Its not its just that the o-ring groove was not 100% perfect. It is now or the viton gasket also fixes it.
    justintendo likes this.
  3. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    i hope so..i can fit my fingernail between the bowl and carb body on the sides...strange..im surprised it still runs as good as it does
  4. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    Looked at mine and it too has a curve coming from the screws to it middle of bowl on the two longest sides, no gap or leaks yet will keep an eye on this!

Thank you for posting your find.
    shawbagga likes this.
  5. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    kelly thanks for explaining what was wrong with them, are you saying you can add the flat viton gasket to the bowl with the oring present? i do have one of those gaskets. got my new bowl today with some other stuff and it looks exactly like the other one, i hope it stays flat..heres some pics of the original bowl. under the spigot was the worst and as suspected if the carb was tilted enough fuel would very slowly seep out. surprising how much dirt had been sucked in as well. other than running a lil off, it still worked ok.
    IMG_3535.JPG IMG_3536.JPG
    i installed the new bowl with just its o-ring, but not sure when itll be back out. a swede is scheduled for duty this weekend
    juicypips likes this.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Yes the Viton gasket with the old bowl works fine. Been running that for a good while now. The new one may look the same but the o-ring groove is corrected.
    woodsrider and justintendo like this.
  7. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Think i will strip mine down and have a proper look, may just end up sealing it with silicone as a bodge job.
  8. silverstreakNZ Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82cr500,76gp360,90wr250,81 420AXC
    Other Motorcycles:
    74 tm400 , 02 gasgas ec 300
    not many silicones are fuel proof . youll have to find one that states it is
  9. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    I want to add for thought, remember also to go really easy on your screw tightness/torque, I undertand its by feel and its on a high vibe machine, but it is plastic, go easy/snug.
    woodsrider likes this.
  10. WVdag Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR250 W/300 kit, 2013 CR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    1987 Harley FXLR 10th year edition
    I bought "another" Lectron awhile back,2nd hand, and when I would spin the carb to loosen the allen screws to adjust the rod gasoline would seep out around the front of the bowl. I had called Lectron on an unrelated issue and mentioned that fact he said that someone had probably over tightened the bowl screws. First chance I got I romoved the bowl and wiped the sealing surface off and reinstalled the bowl and lightly snugged the screws. No more leak!
    They are more than willing to assist with most any issue. Much appreciated.
    woodsrider likes this.
  11. woodsrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    '18 Alta MXR
    I just bought a lightly used Lectron 36mm and the original owner included the original float bowl which was warped pretty bad. I suspected it was over torqued. He provided a new bowl and two new thick gaskets that he got new from Lectron in the purchase for me. I installed the new bowl with just the o-ring in it, did not install the thick extra gaskets, tried to just snug it up to avoid warping it over time. Have been keeping an eye on it, hopefully it will hold up.

I love being able to glance at the bowl to see my fuel status, I do it all the time now. Never realized how handy that would be until I had the clear bowl.
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I really like this feature as well. Its not as a big a deal (leaking) as it seems from this thread. I have 5 of these carbs on various bikes. One needed the gasket which was an early one from them to me and has been 100% since. Al the rest have been fine. Any new ones should not have this issue at all as they redesigned it.
    woodsrider likes this.
  13. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ive not even loosend my float bowl its as lectron/kelly sent it ive opend up the top but the bottom should still be factory torque. Will see if its warped, it doesnt leak so its probably fine.
    Still an awesome product and recommend them to anyone who has issues with their carb after trying jets etc.
    woodsrider likes this.
  14. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    i want to be clear that it did start leaking and warping with factory screw torque. when i took it apart to check it out the screws felt snug but i do not feel it was ever over tightened.
    any dealings i have had with kevin have been great and he ships very fast. he is also willing to take a few minutes to explain anything you want.
    i am still very happy with the carb, i understand bad batches of a certain part happens
    woodsrider likes this.
  15. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    Someone with good machining skills (Kelly) should make a reinforcing ring. something like a reed block spacer that could fit over the floatbowl flange
    juicypips likes this.
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Once again, the issue is resolved. All new bowls should not have this issues. Old ones are easily fixed withe a gasket.
  17. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    It may be resolved but dont you want some more anodised billet bling on your bike? Huh whats the saying "if you make it, they will come"
    Motosportz likes this.
  18. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    i have run the bike about an hour and its back to being rock solid again. time will tell but im sure its fixed. when i placed my order i got the thick viton gasket so i can use my old bowl if i ever need to.
    Huskynoobee, juicypips and Motosportz like this.