1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Lectron Issues Wr250

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by 90kacoupe, Dec 14, 2020.

1. 90kacoupe Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    A bunch!
    Okay, for the last 2 years I have fought my Husky. It has been very hard to start. It used to be only hard to start on the first start of the day at times and then other it would never want to start. I have chased my tail thinking it was everything but the Lectron.

I have replaced my CDI and coil, due to a weak spark and it still wasn't great but it was better, I later replaced the whole ignition with a aftermarket HPI (awesome spark now). The motor has been completely rebuilt.

I finally decided to throw my Mikuni back on and it fires up first kick and has million times better throttle response.

I'm pretty disgusted with my Lectron, I have tuned the metering rod in both directions, The no start condition makes me think it is lean, but when running it loads up and throttle response is garbage.

the Carb is a 38mm HSV with a 4-2m metering rod. Does anybody have a good documented metering rod height I can try. I would love to make the Lectron work. but if not it will go in the trash or go for sale.
  2. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I don't have any answer for you. I bought a 36 mm Lectron a few years ago for my 300 (after the seller recommended the smaller size) after reading about how highly touted it was. I did not like mine at all, even after researching everything I could about it. It never really started any better than my Mikuni, and I never managed to get it to run nice across the power range. At best, it ran like a detuned KDX 200. After two or three months of fiddling with it, I sold it and bought a JD racing jetting kit for my Mikuni. That worked out great, and within a two or three rides, I had the jetting dialed in.
  3. PaulD Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr250( sold)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint RS. Honda TRX300EX Be
    Had a 36mm Lectron on my 2010 WR250 when i bought the bike. Went thru several metering rods and many different adjustments. Every ride i got home and felt i was 1 adjustment from perfection. One day i put the original Mikuni that the first owner gave me with the bike and I was amazed at the difference! Followed the "Grahm Jarvis mods" thread over on Thumpertalk in the Husqvarna 2 stroke forum and made that carb work really good. The bike was kind of flat with no bottom end response using the Lectron. Usually started fairly easy but onnce in a while it would get fussy and bring me to my knees. The awkward kick starter and lots of compression prob didnt help as well as being 5'7" .
  4. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    I ran a Lectron on a 99 360, it worked great, I was not after raw power, my concern was the wild elevation diffs I rode
    it started well and performed flawlessly, sold it with the bike
  5. 90kacoupe Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    A bunch!
    The starting was my biggest issue, and the throttle response was something I was just kinda dealing with. I didn't realize it was as bad as it was until I put the Mikuni back on.

That is the way I have felt. I always felt like I was a 1/4 turn away but I could never get there, but that doesn't even include the starting issue. My riding buddies have been begging me to buy a new bike due to the many time we are sitting in the woods waiting on me to get mine started. If the bike didn't handle so well, and have the amazing suspension the Drew Smith setup, I would have gladly sold it. But I love the way this bike rides. I'm very glad I went back to the Mikuni. I am definitely looking into the GJ mods. Thank you for pointing me in that direction. I'm getting pretty excited for this racing season. Hopefully I can do a couple of National Enduros and Sprint Enduros this year.
    PaulD likes this.
  6. 90kacoupe Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    A bunch!

I have heard so many of those stories and that is why I purchased mine. but its been nothing but a head ache. My Dad has a Lectron on his KDX hybrid, and it has terrible throttle response too. My buddy with a Beta is about to try his Kiehin again because he feels his lacks throttle response as well. The annoying part is, no matter how many times I call Lectron, I get zero useful information. I'm jealous of the success stories I hear. I just didn't have one. I just wonder if their quality control on their metering rods is falling off.

On my road race RZ I think the Lectron would be great. but on a woods bike that needs good rideability its just not working for me.
  7. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    if you are running in a confined altitude, I would definitely recommend a standard carb
    the Lectron was invented years ago to simplify jetting, it was sold to motocross, it never took off
    I was sponsoring a young rider in the 70's, he was very successful in racing, we jetted his bike to the ragged edge of lean
    the track had a total of a couple hundred feet of elevation, so there was no argument for anything else
    now,,,,,,, if you are riding off road and doing a lot of altitude variations,, this is where this comes into play, I ride from 3800' to 9000'
    yes you can jet for the middle, but you give up a lot on top and you take a chance of lean seizure down low, this is Lectron territory
  8. brian bush Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '93 WXC360, 2018 TC150
    Other Motorcycles:
    A few KTMs and Husabergs.
    I've got a number of bikes. Most with Keihins and a couple with Mikunis. I have had 3 with Lectrons now and 2 have been good, one I never got right and gave up on.

The good:
    2000 Husqvarna 360WR (has 1995 cylinder, which I bought from 2premo, which makes much broader power than the original cylinder). Lectron works very well on this bike. Smooth, with plenty of pop at any throttle opening. Starts easily. Good for varying elevations and temperatures. Better fuel economy than stock. Still have this bike.

2018 KTM 250XC. Broadest powerband of any 2 stroke I've ridden. Feels wider than most 4 strokes I've ridden. Hooks up and gets power to the ground. Good for varying temperatures and elevations. Better fuel economy than stock. Also starts easily. Still have this bike.

The bad:
    2004 KTM 300EXC. Engine was totally rebuilt and had a cut cylinder head by Slavens. The Lectron just felt weak off idle. The stock Keihin felt so much better to me. I put the stock carb back on this bike and sold it a couple of years ago. Looking back, I went with the metering rod Slavens recommended on the Lectron for this bike but I think I would've been much happier with it if I had tried a couple of different metering rods. I think it was lean on the bottom and rich on top. Probably a tuning issue. This bike started easily with the Lectron however.

Once the Lectrons are setup well, you can kind of forget them.
    I do think the Keihin PWK carbs have more snap off the bottom, which can be very fun but that doesn't necessarily make them hook up as well and on a long ride it can be more tiring trying to control the snap.

With all carbs setup is key. If your Lectron is giving you starting difficulties, I would say something is wrong with it because all 3 of mine were/are easily started.. just my experience.
    2premo likes this.