1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Leo Vinci X3 for CR125, is it quiet?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by edmoto, Oct 2, 2012.

1. edmoto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 CR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLX400SR, XR250R, VOR503, GG XC300e
    I was recently approached (confronted?) by two neighbors who wanted to express their unhappiness with me riding my CR125 on my property. They felt the sound was both annoying and against our area's (land use) covenants. To make a long story short, after much schmoozing they were content with the fact I'd "try" to ride quieter, or ride less.

Before anyone gets huffy and says "its your property, screw `em", I should say that my job puts me in contact with many people in a small town, and being a small town, gossip and reputations are the coin of the realm. And fact is, they are my neighbors and good fences (meaning less intrusive people) make good neighbors. Its funny though... the covenants allow for the shooting of firearms (and some weekends it sounds like a war zone), but they take issue with a dirt bike instead.

Problem is that although I'm on 110 acres, there is not a tree on my or any adjacent property. Its all hilly prairie land. It takes sounds and echoes them much further than you'd think, and makes the sound persist longer. While the two neighbors that drove to my home also live on lots between 35-90 acre parcels near me, I suspect the real issue is they came out here to have their little slice of western living, but brought their out of state uppitiness with them (CA and CO transplants).

But I digress. I've read in this forum that the Leo Vinci X3 silencer is good quality and quiet, but no real definitive proof that it is. Can someone who has installed one tell me if it is that much quieter than what they had before? Or if they are using another brand that has proven to be very quiet? I run a 2008 CR125 with stock pipe and FMF TurbineCore2 with spark arrestor. I don't motocross the CR, just trail ride. And I don`t care about turbine vs screen spark arrestors... I'll clean and repack the thing every week if I have to.

I was tempted to get this awkward looking thing, but they are no longer being made.

http://www.thedbsnorkel.com/

Up until the CR I rode an old XR250R (stock intake and exhaust) and never had a complaint. I think when the CR gets on the pipe, it's tone and pitch get to that "Hey, I hear that" point. I need that "point" to be quieter. I have already started riding 1-2 gears lower for any given path on my property (I have a 3 and 5 mile circuit), but I would just like to get back to riding like usual.

Thanks
  2. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    I cant help with question except that they are meant to be a bit quieter
    I would like to try the ktm 200 silencer as a few people run the ktm 200 pipe
    It should be able to fit? The ktm silencers seems to work quite well
    Not sure whats involved in making them fit
  3. Lincolnlock Husqvarna
    AA Class

It's not really that much quieter than a stock pipe. It is quieter, but not by much.
  4. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 CRF450R, 1980 Suzuki Wetbike
    If you can find a DB snorkel, that would be the ticket. My buddy had one on his KTM 200, and it was so stealth, I called it the Ninja. He could sneak up on you anywhere.

If you are as serious about it as you sound, I bet you could find one out there somewhere.
    R_Little likes this.
  5. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    I have a DB snorkel installed on my bike and it does take out the high pitch sneer out of the noise

(you finally can hear your intake:D)

I do have to say that the snorkel did broke on the rubber part in the first minor crash I had

At the same time i did glue it together with supper glue and made the intention not to crash :rolleyes:

It does look a bit geeky on the bike but it does work.

my issue was that without i am getting charged by (free roaming cows that are set off by the sneer of my exhaust noise )

not an issue for me as I out pace a charging cows, but my riding buddy's where in the middle of a stampede of angry cows (so I did install it for their sake)

Robert-Jan
    wallybean and rockdancer like this.
  6. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

The 200 pipe has a different size stinger. We cut that off and weld on the 125 stinger. JFYI.
  7. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I used an FMF Q silencer for a YZ125 for a buddy that wanted quiet. It is definitely a step better than the TCII, but you have to keep your packing fresh. It will fit but you will use only one of the mounts to the frame. It has been a while so I am not sure which year yz worked. It was either the 01-03 or the 05-current.
  8. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The Leo is way quieter than a stock cr muffler and a good bit quieter than the FMF TC
  9. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

X3 is quieter and much of your noise also comes from the airbox. (Sounds screwy I know but true)
    Try a little duct tape on sides of airbox and increase until you notice the restriction or reach you quiet level.
  10. slo rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 YZ250
    I have a DB snorkel collecting dust in my garage that I would be willing to part with. I ran it on my 125 for a season and it definitely puts you in stealth mode. My issue was on big landings my rear suspension compresses enough that the swingarm conacts the metal clamp supporting the rubber bits and brakes it. I should have a few sets of new clamps in the toolbox as well. If you're interested let me know.
    Blakelpd5 likes this.
  11. edmoto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 CR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    slo rider: PM'd.
  12. CelticDude Historically Fast!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    x
    A real simple thing you can try is to take a 21" inner tube and cut out about a foot of it and stretch an open end over the muffler and use a zip tie to keep it there. We used to do this years ago to get through sound tests.
    jmetteer and rockdancer like this.
  13. surfer1100 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR250, Memories of past tiddlers.
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM-01 EN 125, 03 125 MX, 09 EN 155
    07 and back WR 125 silencer is super quiet as well. Long and a ton of packing. With that silencer, the inner tube, duct tape and the snorkel would probably do the trick. Or a 165 and lug it everywhere!
  14. edmoto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 CR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks all for the suggestions. I like surfer1100's idea. Pre 07 stock WR exhaust, weld on a 200 KTM silencer, switch over the stinger, install the DB snorkel, duct tape the inner tube after that, band clamp a half full milk jug of water, all on a WB165 with the power valve disconnected using a 65 tooth rear sprocket and a 1/4 turn throttle stop screw installed. Purrrrrrfect!
  15. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    if we look at it in this light.

Maybe a "cure the symptoms approach might work":D earplugs for you neighbors

Robert-Jan
  16. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr144 with lectron carb, stuff!
    :lol:
  17. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f
    I modded a giannelli silencer to fit mine, in the lower part of the rev range its really good at keeping the noise levels down but still makes around 82 dbs at the top
    No performance gains or losses just happier neighbours lol
    d.jpg
  18. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Thats a big one !!
    It looks the goods
    I cant blame the neighbours for getting annoyed though
    You may have to take the bike to a more remote area
  19. slo rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 YZ250
    That is impressive johnnyboy. CF even.
  20. edmoto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 CR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Robert-Jan, I think you've nailed it. But may I make a substitution? I this would fit in their ears even better...

[IMG]