1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Lighten a WR flywheel?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Idacurt, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Idacurt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 WB177
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scorpa 175
    Question: I have a WR125,no head light and was wondering if there was a way to lighten the existing flywheel without the expense of going to a CR ignition? Just thinking a slightly lighter fww effect would suit my riding style better.
    Thanks for any ideas
  2. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    You can have a machinist put it in a lathe and cut it down, or..... a buddy of mine just drilled a bunch of evenly spaced shallow holes in his Yamaha's flywheel.:D
  3. CelticDude Historically Fast!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    x
    I took my flywheel off tonight and found nothing to turn down, drill or lighten. It is interesting that it doesn't really feel all that heavy. :confused:
  4. Idacurt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 WB177
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scorpa 175
    What is that big steel washer riveted on the front? is that the weight? I was thinking about turning that down on a lathe a bit?
  5. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Yours is the new Ductati WR ignition. It is quite a bit cleaner and lighter than the old analog unit. I really like the looks of the new ignition compared to the old unit.
  6. Idacurt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 WB177
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scorpa 175
    Looking at my flywheel I came to the conclusion my only option to lighten it was to drill holes in the top plate/weight only.I used a micrometer to evenly space location points to drill,Starting with a 1/8" working up to 1/2". All I can say is "Wow" just drilling a few holes made the throttle much crisper and it doesn't seem to load up,lag and then come to life as it did previously.The only terrain I haven't tried it on is the steep gnarly stuff due to the current snow level but on moderate single track terrain I'm all smiles.

[IMG]
    By idacurt at 2012-05-11
  7. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr144 with lectron carb, stuff!
    What year is your wr? I am thinking of doing the same on my2010 wr144. I think it might help with a jetting issue that I have.:cheers:!
  8. Idacurt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 WB177
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scorpa 175
    It's an 07,I can now stab the throttle and there is no bog/lag like there use to be.
  9. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr144 with lectron carb, stuff!
    Sounds good!Thanks:thumbsup:!
  10. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    This sounds like a good mod if you dont mind losing some of the luggability
    Still no bog issues?
  11. Idacurt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 WB177
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scorpa 175
    I have been riding now for over a month like this on tight mountain single tracks and it is perfect for me.I can come out of tight corners now,stab the throttle and I'm off.I found that clutch use is down also.I can see why people switch to the CR ignition but I don't have the $$ to do it and I think this is a good compromise.
    huskybear likes this.
  12. Bench Racer 117 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR250
    So which holes are the holes you drilled? Its hard to tell what you did. I've not looked at mine so I'm not sure what is stock.
  13. Idacurt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 WB177
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scorpa 175
    The bigger circles are the 1/2" holes I drilled,the others are the rivets that hold the weight to the flywheel.
  14. Bench Racer 117 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR250
    You did it with the fly wheel off right? They look really clean with a rounded edge. Works well huh? Would you drill more?
  15. Idacurt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 WB177
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scorpa 175
    I removed the flywheel and used a drill press.The flywheel is magnetic and the steel filings stick to the drill bit(not good for the bit). Bit needs to be cleaned often and cutting oil was used,Finished cleaning the FW off with compressed air.
    I'm happy with the results and decided to stop there.