1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Little help with a CR125 please

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by john01, Dec 31, 2012.

1. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Hey guys my friend just picked up a very low hour (5-10) 2006 Husky CR125 and it's not running right. It starts first kick hot or cold, starts off very good and revs good to a point then just dies after keeping on the throttle or a few revs like somebody hits the kill switch or it's running out of fuel. We have swapped fuel tanks, carbs, coil, plug, and checked all the electrical connections. Any care to guess what may be wrong? Thanks, John

Big fingers hit the "YY" instead og the "tt" as in a little help. How do you correct the title LOL?
  2. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

fixed title and check the reeds (sounds like you checked all other fuel issues) check fuel line as well (in case you did not change that)
  3. Gotlabs Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 CR144 X 2!
    Did you check the pipe and silencer for any blockages?
  4. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Thanks for fixing the title Joe :D . Yes we checked the reeds and they look like new. When I swapped my tank I did so with the my fuel line and gas cap. It seems like I can fake the cut out/stall a little with making the bike run overly rich. I wonder if it could be sucking in air from a crank seal; or is that even possible? Don't know if this will help anyone with their suggestions but the bike did set for long periods.
  5. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I did remove the pipe to look at the cylinder/piston and they look new. I will check the pipe and silencer though. Thanks.
  6. CelticDude Historically Fast!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    x
    If you want to check the crank seal on the ignition side just squirt some starter fluid at the seal behind the stator when it's running. If it speeds up, then it has a leak.
    john01 likes this.
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Some of the husky 125's will run perfect up to about mid RPM then die because of the resistor verses and non resistor sparkplug. My brand new 04 CR125 did this swapped the plug and was fine. I think it needed the resistor plug but might have that backwards.
    john01 and surfer1100 like this.
  8. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

CelticDude and Kelly thanks for your suggestions we'll try them both. I did swap my plug from my bike but It was the same plug that was in the 06 so which ever it is we'll swap for the opposite. It's weird because the bike starts fine takes off, acts fine, comming up the rpms, then brrrrrrrr just like you hit the kill switch. It doesn't cut off just goes brrrrr and wacking the throttle won't allow it to catch back up you need to get off the throttle completely. After I let off the throttle wait a few seconds and it goes again. I don't think it ever pulls all the way to the top but close.
  9. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    As you have your own bike next to it try to swap parts of the ignition, start with the spark plug cap and the cdi when it is not solved yet.

it still could be in the stator windings but that's for sure a bigger time consuming task to swap out.

Robert-Jan
  10. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Robert-Jan we did swap coil and plug wires. The 08 and 06 CDI's are not the same so we couldn't swap them. Whats weird to me is the bike has so few hours I'm thinking it's gonna be something simple if and when we do find it. The guy did have a shop port/polish the head and he said all he did was run it through a few heat cycles back when that was done. LOL the previous owers dad did have him paint the subframe, triangle plates that bolt the engine to the frame, kick starter, brake pedal, and shifter ORANGE :eek:! Could that could be the problem!??
  11. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    I am dutch so I kinda like orange :busted: (nothing bike related though)

I do suspect that it is a ignition issue if I read the behavior description.

if a bike stands still for a long time the electronics like capacitors in the CDI unit could loose its capacity (due to drying out (not that common but possible)), it also could be cracks in the insulation of the cables in the stator and when the motor revs up the energy could be enough to arc over to ground and maintaining the arc require less energy then create it.

Robert-Jan
  12. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Thanks Robert-Jan that sounds logical/possible. I may be back at it tomorrow after I figure out how to test those items and seeing if the crank seal and res/non-res plug is ok. Hey at least I have some things to test and look at that I didn't think about or know about.
  13. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    John,

Evans 06 did this and drove me crazy. Go back and ck your float level on the older TMX carb. Also, his kept getting an air bubble, how I ran his fuel line. Use a clear one to see if running out of gas due to air lock. As soon as it stalls look fast at fuel line before it fills back up. Also, check your petcock filter in tank.
  14. gots_a_sol Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR177
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 250RR
    Was that on craigslist just a couple of days ago? I don't suspect there are too many Husky's with orange painted bits for sale in the area lol.

I thought the orange was quite bizarre, but it looked extremely clean in the pics.
  15. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Yep that's the one :D. It looks like new with not even dust under the tank and hard to clean places. The seller said his dad was a bike collector and had as many as 20-30 bikes at different times and the orange paint on the Husky reminded him of some old bike from back in the day. My friend couldn't remember which. The more I think about the problem the less I think it's going to be electrical. It just seems to run better or a few seconds longer as you add fuel to the point where you know it's to rich. I think it's sucking in additional air from some where.
  16. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

It wierd Darin it had a clear fuel line and I could see it wasn't staying full so I removed his tank, fuel line, gas cap and installed mine off my 08. Mine immediately filled the fuel line but same results. So thats when I installed my carb for the second time...same results. It takes off and at low speed 1-2 gear you wack the throttle and it's got great snappy power. Run up the RPM's through the gears and brrrrrrrr to a twist the throttle and nothing happens; bike doesn't cut off just quits going until you give it a few seconds and it takes back off :confused:. Thanks for your input.
  17. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    John, make sure your float bowl isn't running out of gas? Can you let the bike sit for couple minutes? Then does same thing?
  18. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    Make sure you have compression right after it stalls. I had one that sat for while and ring would stick. After cooled bit was fine. Ended up cleaning ring groove, ran like charm.

Is stator rusty under flywheel? Might be short of volts?

Also, try running ground wire from stator backing plate to coil ground?

Gosh, that seems like Evans with an airlock in line.
  19. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

We set his at 20mm and mine has been running my 165 without any problems so I don't think it's a carb issue. If we don't figure it out I'll pop on my SC when it gets back to totally rule out the carb. Thanks for your suggestion.
  20. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

My son was thinking it could be the ring. Warm engine compression was 155. It does act like a bike running out of fuel . But both carb have the same results though and thats what confusing, unless we make it real rich then it runs a liilte longer. The bike has not cut completely off one time during all the test runs, just boggs down like it's waiting on fuel but getting to keep it running. We pulled the cover and it all looks new from the outside but we didn't pull the flywheel. We'll try the wire if we can get to it. Thanks again much appreciated.