1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Looking at the 2013 WR300

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by 6thgear, Apr 9, 2013.

1. 6thgear Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    GSXR600, GSXR1100, Ninja 250
    Can anyone provide me with some good details on the 2013 WR300? Most of the reviews I've read have been all the basic information. How many hours have you gotten on the top end, Suspension, adjustments, weight, pro's/cons?

I've been trying to make up my mind between the WR300, and the TXC310. Not alot of information around for these bikes, and I kinda like that! I want to race something less known, my series that I'm going to race has I believe 2 husky's. Thanks for any information, I won't be able to test ride because there is no local dealers so I'm ordering a crated fresh off the line model :banana:
  2. braddenning Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 HUSABERG FE 350 ,2014 KTM 300XC
    wr is a good bike but years old design, get the txc310 thats an awesome bike,i have a wr300 and i like it but the txc is all new
  3. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Sore points are just a couple: Mikuni Carb needs sorting out or replacement, and clutch drags. But you can get a Motion Pro Terminator cable to fix most of the clutch problem and a JD carb tuning kit will eliminate most of the carb issues. Also make sure that you seal the reed boot sealing surface because sometimes there can be a bit of an air leak. Oh....one more thing. If you are short, the bike can be tough to kickstart.

Good points are: Fantastic power and lots of it, decent suspension, one of the best handling trail bikes on the planet, very stable on the straights and the bike turns like a 125. Once the bike is set up and jetted properly, it is a fairly hamfisted reliable machine.
    4eyes, 2premo, Steve-oh and 1 other person like this.
  4. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    I agree, the WR's are a "diamond in the rough". They are good bikes right off the floor, but can be great bikes if you make a few changes. Some people think they need to much work, but I don't think they need any more than any other bike. I haven't seen the perfect bike yet. I think they all can be made better, but that's just me.

I personally like the 250 better than the 300 for racing, but the 300 is a blast for just trail riding or riding for fun.
  5. 6thgear Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    What is your idea of short? I'm 5'7", I consider that roughly average. So would I fit the WR proper? What are the issues with the carbs, that would be a rather big issue in my eyes. Coming from a 1994 GSXR1100 racer I'm very adapt at tuning carbs, but hearing they would need a replacement sounds like a serious issue over a minor jetting adjustment.
  6. yzrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 yz250f 197? rickman zunpaap 125
    The keihn carbs are just generally known as much easier to set up and better performing. Brand new they run about 300. Sorting out the jetting on the Mikuni just takes a little more time. Its a more sensitive carb to weather changes. If you are familiar with jetting it won't be an issue for you. Some seem to think jetting is some black magic and really difficult.
    Any bike I have owned ive needed to spend more time dialing in the carb then any other part of the bike. I need that perfect throttle response at all times though or it really bothers me. Im like obsessive with my bikes tuning and set up.

I think you should go with the wr over the txc. 300 2 strokes are basically considered the best off road engine size there is. Light enough to dice through the tight stuff, torque and smooth enough delivery to tractor up sloppy hills and all the boost you need to blast by the other bikes once it opens up. They spool up quicker then any 4 stroke and less prone to stalling than 4's as well.
    shrubitup and Falcon like this.
  7. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I'm 5' 5'', so that is a problem for me. I need to find a berm, rock or tree stump to get the height required for the strong swift kick that gets things lit up, although some of that will disappear when everything in the carb is balanced. The key thing that is so much trouble on the stock carb is the needle jet and its needle. Once those two things are replaced, the other jetting areas can be resolved. Apparently the stock needle jet is too lean. Once a slightly richer one is put in, the size of the pilot jet can be dropped and the kickstarting becomes easier, plus there are no "surprise" lean spots at higher RPMs.

I actually went with the 36 mm Lectron carb on mine. No jets to sort out. Haven't finished fussing with the top end metering screw just yet, but other people seem to love this carb.
    MOTORHEAD likes this.
  8. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    As far as the carb there are many who think the Mik is fine once jetted in. I personally hate the Mik. I had an '02 Honda CR250 with the same carb and swapped it for the Keihin, also. To me they are just way to sensitive. I'd swap the carb on any bike that I bought that had the Mik on it, but again, that's just me.
  9. 6thgear Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    I completely understand. I've got two GSXR1100, with both keihn 41mm FCR flatside, and the mikuni 38mm stock carbs. So, your explanation makes complete since to me! Thanks for explaining in more detail..haha

I know this might be silly, since this is the 2 stroke section, but what does the TXR310r offer? I know it's got the valve adjustments, little heavier, and has the (magic button). But they are both cross country class, so are the handling characteristics the same?

I honestly expect to be cranking out anything from 35-45 hours per week on the engine for practicing, and that does not include races or anything. Which bike will likely survive the abuse I'll throw at it better? From a as neutral perspective as possible..haha I know it will be hard :popcorn:

P.S I plan to race enduro/hare scrambles. If I didn't add that
  10. wait4me Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    85 YZ490 "Ol Bessy"
    lots of hours = 2stroke. Especially if you don't have great access for the parts you might need. IMO
  11. 6thgear Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    Like me who is determining his purchase based on forum posts because my current area don't have a dealer within 15+ hours? lol
  12. yzrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 yz250f 197? rickman zunpaap 125
    As far as what the 4 stroke offers for advantages

The smoother and more deliberate power delivery helps you be hooked up better, has a broad power band which can sometimes lead to less shifting but really compared to a 300 I really wouldn't rate any 4 stroke as better for off road.

For longevity the 2 stroke is hard to beat. A top end consists of replacing a piston, rings and gaskets.

Price wise maintenance is pretty much a was, 4 strokes need you to keep an eye on valve adjustments but a head lasts a long time with proper care, fresh oil, filter etc.

Overall the wr makes more grunt, you won't need to rev it out as much, less parts to replace, simpler, and a well designed robust engine. Itll feel alot lighter thanks to the center of gravity too.
    For me 4 strokes come into there own with the displacement advantages they get in Moto. Cc for cc its much less of an advantage especially with such amazingly broad power bands offered by the 300 two strokes from the euro brands.
    If you want to swap the carb look into the lectron and smart carbs for the same price as a keihn you get some serious advantages.
  13. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    I would say if you are going to be riding that much a 2 stroke is going to be a better option, mainly because they are much easier to work on and much less expensive to work on. The TXC310 is supposed to be an awesome machine, and I would like to have one in my garage too...next to my WR. But, I have owned a high performance 4 stroke before and they are expensive to run. Even the oil is expensive and needs changed often. I was spending around $100 a month on Silkolene for my YZF when I was training/racing!!!
    I do think that, honestly, either bike will be a great machine for what you are looking to do. the 310 is killing the World Enduro circuit in Europe. Just not as popular here, but awesome bikes. I have an 09 wr300 and it has been ridden hard and it is stone reliable. I love 2 strokes for their power, lightweight, and ease of maintenance. But in all honesty, it just depends on what you like. They power output and delivery is going to be WAAAAAY different between the two. The 2t puts out 40% more power per liter and it revs way faster. That makes the smile on my face grow faster and bigger too! I have modded mine to how I like it, Keihin carb, PC pipe and spark arrestor, Hi comp head and gearing change...other than that, one top end since I bought it new as a leftover in 2010, one radiator repair after a really hard ejection and one stuck chain adjuster bolt. Thats it. Its totally personal preference, but I prefer the increased power, faster rev and ease of maintenance on 2t. Also, if you ride really gnarly terrain, a 2t that is jetted well, especially the 300, is really difficult to stall. 4t's can tend to flame out at a really low rpm.
    There are pluses and minuses to both, but the pluses of a 2 stroke win for me.
    ray_ray likes this.
  14. 6thgear Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    Oh...Now that's interesting (Lectron). Do you happen to have a link to Smart carbs, I cannot nail down a website for them. I read through the Lectron carb tech information, and man...That's a very "smart" approach to maximize the ability of a tried and proven system. And your right, for roughly $80 more, you can get a set of those..haha.

Here comes a common question, How many hours can I get on the WR300 top end? If I use top quality fuel/oil and proper mixtures, clean the air filter/change every a dirty ride. Would I be able to break 80 hours? Changing a head once a week during practice would be a huge pain with my work load + my training goals..haha
  15. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    If you crank out that many hours on a bike you better get a 300 or you'll have to buy a new 310 once a month. :lol:
    lankydoug likes this.
  16. 6thgear Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    I keep hearing the extra work for a 4 Stroke, but never really hear "details" I do bi monthly oil changes on 2 motorcycles already, takes 5 minutes and I don't mind the costs of royal purple..lol Is it just the fact that replacement parts are more costly? I"m a fairly big novice on dirt bikes, I can understand the mechanical talk and stuff, but I need it spoken clearly, because to me racing street bikes for years, I can't understand the vast differences. I know they exist! I'm just trying to nail down the pro's/con's and what each bike would require..haha Spending $10,000 nearly blind is a gamble, and I'm sure I'll be happy with either bike, but I want to be as educated as possible before I make that leap of faith :thinking:

So sorry if I'm asking ALOT of questions, I'm firmly determined to get one of these bikes, now it's just the final researching phase to really nail out which one has my name written on it..haha!
  17. 6thgear Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    What if I become a adopter of Huskies? Huh??
  18. braddenning Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 HUSABERG FE 350 ,2014 KTM 300XC
    ive had a wr300 for years(and still do) as well as a new husaberg fe350 and ive ridden the 310 on several occasions, get the 310
  19. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Suzuki SV1000/73 Honda CB350
    Ive read over and over all the complaints about the carburetor but Ive never had issues with mine. Now, granted, I am only in the Vet B class for Eastern US hare scrambles/enduro but Ive also been a technician for Yamaha Honda and Harley in the past so I do know my way around a bike.
    I installed a pipe and silencer and all the other woods racing add ons and had the suspension done. A must if you want to enjoy your bike and not get pinged around the rocks where I live. The terminator cable is a must. I also added 5mm length to my clutch actuator arm. Lighter pull. No clutch drag.
    The bike is tall. 5'7" is questionable. Every bike can be lowered in some way tho.
    Finally, if you get a modern 4 stroke, you get the headaches that come with it. Valve changes, top end changes, fuel injection issues, etc. I have a modern 4 stroke as well as the WR. I would keep the WR if I had to get rid of either.
    ray_ray, panhandlebars and R_Little like this.
  20. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    WR300:

install a JD Jet kit right off the bat with the new nozzle and it meters crisp just fine. easy cheap fix, but- mandatory as the carb comes with stupid wrong parts in it (nozzle AND needle to be exact). for a lil better MPG the Lectron from Motosportz is a nice upgrade.

lose the t-stat ASAP- see my thread on that for some 5$ and up mods that work. install Zip Ty Racing XF+ coolant too.

change trans oil after first ride.

starting is like starting a big bore- wear a moto boot and leg it good. (i'm 5'5" and can light it)

cost to buy is pretty low. comes with premium parts too. great value. proven design. chains on the right side too. these wont be around much longer, end of an icon. i beat on mine like a delinquent rented mule. it just laughs and drags me off into the trees for more braaaaap!

4-stroke? barf. buy braap and bring it.
    panhandlebars and MOTORHEAD like this.