1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Lower chain roller tensioner - beware all smokers

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by raysaw, Dec 13, 2011.

1. raysaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    701 Enduro
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZX14R
    Ok, I have trawled through this forum looking for an answer to the following and also a few mentions, no fix it details, so here is my two washers worth.

A design weakness of the wr250/300 is the chain tensioning roller that serves to raise the chain up off the frame as it exits the frame section of the frame.

After a session out at the local track I noticed that the roller was missing, upon closer inspection I saw the the second (inside) bracket had the bottom part snapped off. I went the the local husky dealer, ordered a new roller assembly and got a slightly longer screw with nuluock nut. The original inside bracket had a nut thread in it however the top half of the bracket still remained, the week point essentially being the lower part of the bracket where the hole is that takes all the weight.

The solution ( I would do this even if yours has not yet broken off - because it will, and if you continue to ride it with a slightly loose chain you will slowly carve out that section of your lower frame that the chain runs over weakening the frame and damaging your chain). Note: if yours is still on, remove the locking bolt from the thread, and drill out the thread before continuing.

Get two 2 x 2mm (or thicker if you want) washers with a hole the same diameter as the original hole. Solder the washers onto the existing brackets, re-install the roller and add the new bolt (which will need to be about 10mm longer than the original so that it can travel through the additional distance of the two washers and have enough thread protruding to take the nulock nut.

All fixed. Make sure if you buy the roller you get the two bearings for it as well.

Cheers,

Raysaw
  2. icebergstu Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300/TE610e
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR360 CT110 XR100
    I dont get it...can you please post pictures!

Stu
  3. raysaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    701 Enduro
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZX14R
    Hi Stu

I am away until tomorrow - ill post some pics over the weekend
  4. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 exc framed wr430 engine
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    on my 360 the roller and bracket were missing, i cut some 32mm od poly ethylene pipe into a small section and down its length opened it up and snapped it around the frame, worked great, never came off and pe is self lubricating.
  5. raysaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    701 Enduro
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZX14R
    Jo360, only issue with that is that it would be fine for bush/trail work, but no so good for mx as chain slap could end up derailing and causing damage. Remember it's function is two fold - tensioner and to keep off frame.
  6. raysaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    701 Enduro
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZX14R
    Update:
    My washer weld solution didn't hold ! The issue Is that the roller brackets did not have an overly strong constitution as well as the washers although welded with a tig, just were not strong enough. So, luckily, my new roller and nut were still attached after the ride, albeit hanging there.
    So, took the bike to an expert who welded a whole new base and spade and back welded to frame, now it won't come loose. I'll post up pics in the next day or so. By the way, just make sure you disconnect all the ignition gear so that the welder doesn't Rch on the frame and shag your stator or cdi.

Raysaw
  7. raysaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    701 Enduro
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZX14R
    OK, some pics. I didn't take any pics of the first repair using the washers unfortunately, however her is the before and after pics of repair.
    broken tensioner bracket 1.JPG Professional Repair.JPG

Attached Files: