1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Lowering TE

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by chamber66, Sep 13, 2008.

1. chamber66 Guest

Hi have been trying to lower my Te using a 1.5" Kabuoa link. having researched the subject on TT and having read the posts made by Coffee, i have a few questions.
    Coffee i am sure i read that you have a 27" inseam and found the 1.5" link to much. I have insalled mine and can barely get the toes of one foot touching the ground. So i was wondering if you did anything else?
  2. Longhill50 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Lowering the seat height on a SM610

I have a 06 SM610, with the same issue, first I softened the rear shock by adjusting the rear shock spring reload on the shock. Second I installed the 1.5 Kouba link(issue the shock spring collar is hitting the swingarm also lowered the forks 1/2"), need to grind the swingarm for more clearance) and third got a Renazco racing seat with less height. With my 28" inseam, I'm on the ball of the foot now, I'm happy with the changes.
  3. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I did not use the Kubalink, I sent it to MX Tech in PA for a revalve, lowering, and service (change oil/seals). So I am unfamiliar with how their 1.5" would translate to the bikes lowering (geometry?).

He installed a limiting bushing so the bike does not ride as high anymore. Here is a picture of a limiting bushing, basically a plastic washer (nylon?), this one looks maybe 3/8" thick so it would lower the shock extension that much.

There is some geometry involved because the shock and forks are not straight up & down - so to lower a bike 1.5" there would be something other than 1.5" of spacers.

I REALLY like to keep things stock unless there is a reason to change to keep things simple & not spend the cash but I would highly recommend getting the suspension re-done on these bikes especially if you are bothering to lower it.

[IMG]

Rotax_655 and Jim511 like this.
  4. chamber66 Guest

Thanks for the picture, if i'm guessing right the front end can be done by myself fairly easily?
  5. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    If you know how to work on forks then yes, at the moment I don't know a lot about it. Although I've muddled my way through changing fork seals on a KLR250.

That pic was taken at John Curea's MX Tech shop/house, those are his hands. Had some time to kill in the midwest last fall and stopped by his shop and he was demonstrating what was done to my bike to re-do the suspension & lower it.

At some point I'll get knowledgeable enough to service the forks - change oil & seals, and remove/add the limiting spacers if need be.

John seems to do many bikes
    [IMG]

This is probably how he handles all the work - his assistant
    [IMG]
  6. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    When doing the front end, top-out springs can be used. I am 5'1" with short legs and I lowered my KTM450 with a RaceTech lowering kit that included the top-out springs and spacers (they're Delrin, Coffee.) RaceTech didn't offer anything for my SM610, and I needed to get it revalved and resprung for me anyway, so I had Les at LTR do it. Best motorcycle mod for the money, in my opinion. I've always had all my dirtbikes lowered in this manner and have always been pleased with the results. The only one I did myself was the KTM because the suspension was very close to perfect when I got it.

I'm of the opinion that it is never a good idea to lower only one end of the bike, especially messing with the preload. It needs to be set where it needs to be set for proper suspension function. If you take all the preload out and then add a lowering link, there's going to be some funky repercussions in how your suspension works. Sliding the fork tubes in the triple clamp just makes things even worse...sloppy in the rear and twitchy in the front.

You won't regret getting your suspension tuned specifically to your weight and riding ability.

WoodsChick
  7. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I agree.

I want to urge everyone to get together with other riders and check each others bikes out whenever possible. Suspensions, jetting, efi, tires - all kinds of things can be compared and it is much fun meeting other people in person.