1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Making the front brakes "touchy"

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by firecrotch, Sep 27, 2012.

1. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    Hey guys, have an 09 wr 300. Love it but one thing i do miss about my ktm was how touchy and strong the brakes where. I got the quality motul 4.0 and expensive pads in it. I flush the oil every couple months. Yet i cant quite get the front brakes strong enough for my liking. The rears are just fine. I ride with one finger over front brake all the time. The mtn single track i ride probably makes my front rotors glow red.

Theres all kinds of aftermkt rotors and brake upgrades on ebay but didnt want to spend a ton of money for a little gain. Or do they make a huge difference over stock? Open for suggestions thanks.
  2. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Wow, that's quite a bit different from my 2011 300! I quickly got less grabby pads so that I wouldn't kill myself in tight rocky downhill sections!:eek:
  3. Gotlabs Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 CR144 X 2!
    My 09 has awesome brakes, very touchy. Possible air?
  4. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    Part of the problem is I am a former powerlifter and weigh 275. My old ktm was awesome though.
  5. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    I thought so too and bled them like over and over again, they are pretty good but not nearly as good as my ktm(at least that's how I feel anyway)
  6. 86 400 XC Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    75,82,83,2x84,85,3x86,87,88 and 89
    Other Motorcycles:
    more Huskys
    Might be that the KTM master cylinder has a bigger bore and maybe you could swap in one them on the Husky perhaps??
  7. muggsy Husqvarna
    A Class

Kinda' surprising...... My 09 wr250 front brake is considerably stronger than my 07 KTM 200 brake !
  8. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    They are normally VERY grabby. You have the same components as you did with the KTM.

Put the bike on the side stand and turn the bars to the left. Pull the lever in and zip ty it to the bars. Let it set that way for 24+ hours. Remove the ty and start "Flicking" the lever at the end. If you remove the cover you should see tiny bubbles coming from the line. Sometimes this can take a while before all the bubbles stop. If it's bad and you see a lot of bubbles for a long time I recommend that you repeat the process.
  9. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165 w/36mm lectron.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BETA 300RR w/36mm lectron.
    When I got my 2009 wr 250 second hand I noticed that the front brake was the same as my 2006 ktm xc 300. I flushed the by reverse bleeding it and it works awesome.
  10. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Well, you have plenty of strength to pull in that brake lever then.
    I could easily lock up the front brake with one finger, and now two fingers, now that I put the less grabby compound pads on.
  11. spud1968 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Are all the caliper pistons moving equally?.......if the bikes been power washed dirt can get stuck in the caliper seals
    steadydirt likes this.