1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Marzocchi Shiver fork question - 07 WR250

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by MARK WOOLARD, Apr 17, 2011.

1. MARK WOOLARD Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi I have an 07 WR250 that I really like except for one thing - the Marzocchi shiver stock forks are either oversprung or the dampening is way off. I have the compression and rebound dampening set really soft but I'm not getting much compression and it isn't turning like I think it should. On an MX track they are stiff enough for jumps but flat turns seem awkward.....Has anyone else noticed this?
    Who should I go to for fork work? The rear shock is an Ohlins and it works well. I guess I could stiffen the shock preload which might load the front end more, but I like how the rear is working.
    I have no idea what springs are in the forks, most likely stock, and ditto for the fork oil. I could play with those...
  2. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Mark, Check your sag numbers. Look in the common topic discussion or Technical for the correct specs.
    What spring do you have in the front ?
  3. MARK WOOLARD Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hey Dwight! I don't know - I don't think the forks have ever been touched. I will look at what is posted in the Tech section for them. Thanks!
  4. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Where did you get a Ohlins for the rear of a WR250 I have been trying to find one and i have never seen a Wr 250 come with one
  5. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I would try lighter oil or get them revalved with about 20% less high speed compression. Hall's or WER can do this. You want 40-45mm static sag and 75mm rider sag. Bet you don't have either. Probably much less. I had to go down on my bike one size. Now it works great.
    Rear shock needs about 30-35mm static sag and 100mm rider sag. Mine has 30mm static and 101mm rider. Works great. These are Husky specs not Jap bike or KTM. The measurements change with the amount of available travel. That is what I have posted in the Tech section.
  6. MARK WOOLARD Husqvarna
    AA Class

I measured 292 mm fully extended, 267 mm static sag (about 9%) and 241mm rider sag (about 17%-measured by myself which is awkward and w/o riding gear). This is about 2/3 the sag you are saying it should be. Too stiff. So if the standard springs are in there which are 4.2 kg/mm and I go to a 3.8kg/mm I think that would be a lot better. My previous '02 and '96 Huskys both had softer forks and turned so well...No reason why this one can't be like that. Thanks Dwight - I always thought sag was exclusively a rear shock thang. Anybody have some 3.8 kg/mm springs?
  7. MARK WOOLARD Husqvarna
    AA Class

I don't know I thought they came on Huskys in 07, I bought it used though and I only have an 06 owners manual.
  8. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Mark, I weigh about 180lbs and have a .40kg on my WR150. I could have probably used a .38 if I was much lighter.
  9. MARK WOOLARD Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm around 185-190lbs and it is a heavier bike than yours (probably 10-15 lb.) BUT I'm a good bit SLOWER :) You went from .42kg to .40kg and the difference was huge, correct??
  10. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

the only WR 250/300 i ever saw or heard of having a Ohlins was Glen Kearney race bike It was a one off built by Wyatt Seals.If you could ask the guy you purchased the bike from got it that would be helpful as i am trying to get a Ohlin for my bike
  11. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The main thing is to get your sag numbers correct. I was surprised that the .40kg made a big difference on my bike but it did. Try the .40kg. I bet you can get the sag numbers correct with it. Check your measurements 3 times. Lube your fork leg with silicone lube before measureing. It will help with stiction. Get somebody to help you with measurements. Unless you have a Motion Pro Uni-Sag tool. You have only 25mm static sag right now and 51mm rider sag. No wonder you have problem. Make sure you have the correct sags on rear also as they can change your sags on the front if you have too much or too little.
  12. MARK WOOLARD Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks - I'll go with the .40kg. Man I'm looking forward to trying this!
  13. MARK WOOLARD Husqvarna
    AA Class

I bought it from a guy off ebay. It came from Fox Cycle Center in upstate New York I think. I don't think it was a race bike. You've got me curious now....