Michigan's Moss Lake single track.

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by Reddog, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Reddog Husqvarna
    AA Class

I spent last week in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Also known as the UP.
    One of the main things I wanted to look at was a new trail loop that had been put in on some Hiawatha National forest ground.
    This was a joint effort by the NF, MDNR and the UP Sand-stormer's.

VVmapping has a map for it already also. And a short vid of some of his ride.:cheers:
    http://www.vvmapping.com/trails/mossLake.html

[IMG]
    Under the right hand sign above you can see where the trail enters the woods.
    This is true technical single track. The dnr even allowed them to leave a few logs down in specific areas.:thumbsup:
    Lots of off camber climbs and tight switchbacks.
    Most of this trail you find yourself in first or second gear. When you do hit a open trail and a higher gear, you find you use it to catch a break for the next tight section.

One word of warning if you do ride this trail, 30" to outside of your bark-busters will still be tight. I had to squeeze fit a few places.

Sorry I did not take any pictures of the trail, I was trying to beat Darkness.

[IMG]
    [IMG]

If you get a chance and technical trails are what you like, give it a ride.:)
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Awesome that new trails are being built :thumbsup:
  3. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Beautiful.:applause: Now that's some reeeeally tight singletrack there.:D
  4. Droolsport Husqvarna
    A Class

Thats rare esp on NF land. We are fighting to keep existing NF trails that have been there for years open with the new Travel Plan. Luckily we have a state trust land system that allows for OHV use with a $15 pass. With the NF and reservations being so big there isnt much good land to ride on anymore. Throw in dust control anywhere near Phoenix and its a real PIA to find places to ride.

Coffee, maybe we need a Land Use sub forum, this is and will be a very important subject in the coming years? Bills are sneaking through Congress that close land via "Wilderness" designations etc... We need to stay informed.

Sorry for the hijack... nice trail, I am jealous of your dirt
  5. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    I'm way too wimpy, old and fat to even dream of attempting that.
  6. Reddog Husqvarna
    AA Class

Not so rare for this area. The NF's in this area have been set up for Recreational and Wood Fiber use for many years.
    We have two other ST trails that are solely on NF ground. And others that pass thought both State and NF land.

Not that it didn't have it's fights. http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/hiawatha/motorcycletrl/Final_Appendix_A.pdf

If people don't think loud exhausts cost us riding areas, read some of the comments.

Any way the reason I posted this up is so people ride it. That way it does not get shut down from lack of use or interest. As much as I would like to keep it as my Super Secret Single track.;)

krieg you just have ride your own ride in that tight stuff. I rode it during the week so as to not have much traffic.
  7. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Yes those are important. Which is why the best way I can think of handling things is to not set up a special land use forum. The reason is people tend to ignore those types of forums cause... well people (in general) would rather read fun stuff and not be asked to write in or do other work.

We have a few forums such as this one, news, racing, bike forums.... everything else, all the things that do not fit well in those categories should go in the General (Main) forum. People look in that forum all the time.

The best way I can think of, and I've been contemplating this for years, is to have a reference section (like the tech ref section) where the first post of important threads can be put with links to discussion threads. Then people can find threads at any time because the thread in the reference section would be in a certain order - chronological or alphabetical (tbd), as opposed to people being able to post directly in the threads changing the order.... of course the actual discussion threads would be posted to and brought to the top of the threads when that happens.

Of course all that may change in the future, but it is my best guess at the moment.
  8. petem Husqvarna
    A Class

Wow! I just can't believe those responses from the Forest service. :applause: If anyone in an official body in the UK wrote something like that there'd be a howling lynch mob outside the door within minutes! To think that motorcycling could be a legitimate use of public land... we can only dream of that.

We're treated more like psycopathic axe murderers who's sole intent is to destroy the environment and annoy all other users as much as possible, and who should therefore be banned altogether*. Not long ago a new act of parliament meant we lost the use of many byways (i.e. trails), some of which had been open to all traffic for hundreds of years. Now they're mostly restricted to horses & walkers. The thought of any new trails being opened, especially on public land is inconceivable. I'm delighted you at least have some people over there who'll support you at the moment. Stay alert guys and make sure it stays that way for as long as possible :thumbsup: or you might end up like us. :thumbsdown:

* A recent report by the Association Of Chief Police Officers recommended to parliament that *all* motorcycling should be banned, not just dirt riding. :censored: Luckily it was shown to be so full of factual mistakes and bias that most of it had to be retracted.
  9. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Trust me, if the current President of the USA and his a$$-ki$$ing supporters have their way, the UK will soon look like the world's last bastion of true social conservatism compared to this soon-to-be-pathetic country. Part of the reason why I ride a two stroke is to annoy the bark-humping liberals.
  10. petem Husqvarna
    A Class

:lol::lol::lol:

Heaven help us all if it turns out the UK really is the last bastion of anything! :eek:

Now you mention it, maybe I should get me a 2-smoke... :D
  11. HUSQVNA Husqvarna
    AA Class

I do miss me some good Michigan single track! More states need organizations like the Michigan CCC. Your a lucky man Reddog, envious as all get out this time of year! It doesn't get much better than that. You happen to know of a group of guys who call themselves the "Tumbleweed Tree Whackers" up there in Michigan?
  12. Thorton98 Husqvarna
    AA Class

How 'bout Bent Wheels or Nomads (who I ride with) The CCC of Mich is a fantastic organization that represents our hobby well!:thumbsup:
  13. BentAero Husqvarna
    A Class

I wasn't able to make it up to Moss Lake, but last week I had to make an unexpected trip back to MI, so I thought I might as well take the Husky! First time in 18 years I have been able to ride in the off-road paradise known as Michigan.
    We rode out of the Lansing Motorcycle Club property near Moorestown hitting some of the Jack Pine trail/North Missaukee loops, then onto Wolverine for the Tomahawk system. Man, I can't wait to go back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO8F2TrzUlA

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  14. Chop Suey Husqvarna
    B Class

Aw come on, there's better trail pictures than that BentAero:

[IMG]

Here's one with a complementary rock even! :lol:
    [IMG]

When so many states are loosing riding areas, it's great that Michigan is getting more miles of trail put down with more to come. Many counties up north have now opened up their roads to ORVs allowing access to and from trails for gas, food and lodging, which is very helpful for riders not having to worry about being ticketed for being on county roads.

Here's more info on the Moss Lake Trail: http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/michigan_14254/ride_78f3.htm
  15. BentAero Husqvarna
    A Class

That rock was posed wasn't it? Did Mark put that there? ;)
  16. Chop Suey Husqvarna
    B Class

Photochopped!:busted:
  17. Reddog Husqvarna
    AA Class

So got a chance to ride Moss lake again.
    A few more pictures.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

As we where setting up camp at Flowing well camp ground, I got a chance to talk to a couple of USFS personal that had worked on the trail.
    We where asking questions both ways, how is the trail? What do you plan for upkeep? It was fun to see them so interested in the feedback of the trails.
    It seems to be holding up well. Just a few minor tweaks need here and there. :thumbsup:

I do think if I was planning a trip there for a whole weekend, I would go to 12/50 gearing.
  18. Reddog Husqvarna
    AA Class

And I did stop by Tomahawk on the way.;)
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

:cheers:
  19. Chop Suey Husqvarna
    B Class

Is that the A loop?
  20. Reddog Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yes.
    I rode the MCCT and A loop, parts of B loop and all of C loop.