mid-range stumble getting back on the gas

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by MikeB, Jun 5, 2012.

1. MikeB Husqvarna
    AA Class

2012 TXC310 with Akra exhuast and JD tuner. 40 hours on it. After a silty 2 hour GP race last weekend I changed the oil and filters and took it out for a desert ride Sunday. After about 15 minutes of hard riding on 3rd gear single track in 85 degree weather it started giving a soft pop or 2 on decel and stumbled for several seconds when getting back on the gas exiting turns. Didn't seem to matter how much throttle and after stumbling for a moment it would start to run and then rev like normal. I rode for about 5 - 8 minutes with the problem seeming to get worse so I hit a short cut back to the truck. In thinking about the problem it feels like a clogged needle jet - starts and idles like normal - runs relatively well on the main "jet". Just stumbles in transition. I checked the manifolds for air leaks - looks fine.

So... for 2012 there seems to be a new fuel pump/filter unit. Where exactly is the filter?

Is this even a partially clogged filter (low fuel pressure) type problem?

Considering pulling the JD to see if that's it ... but maybe I should tune in a little more fuel in the midrange using the JD first just to see?
  2. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Yes to the partially clogged fuel filter, I've had 2 episodes of clogged fuel filter now and it's sporadic and the bikes does weird stuff at weird times, and sometimes just runs fine, but the pops and hesitations and other symptom WILL come back next ride. The filter should be right at the pump/regulator area in the tank, all attached to a flange. This is the older one, yours may be a fresher design, hopefully not a plastic filter either.
    \
    [IMG]
  3. MikeB Husqvarna
    AA Class

:doh: found the filter in the tank (but not on the part schematic) ... just had to pull the hoses out farther. Looks similar to the one above ... I saw a thread about changing it in here somewhere. Will post results.
  4. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Might as well replace the fuel line in there as well. I used the submersible 5/16" FI hose, like $20 a foot, but worth it. I've had to change my fuel filter 2 more times since I installed the high-end hose and it's been worth it to have nice, pliable hose to work with.

Ordinary fuel line is designed to handle fuel on the inside only. With in-tank applications, gasoline also comes in constant contact with the outside hose surface, making it vital to utilize a hose that's engineered to be submersible.
    Gates Submersible Fuel Line Hose is capable of handling gasoline, alcohol-extended gasoline, ethanols, biodiesel or diesel fuel in fully-immersed, mobile and stationary applications.
    • Engineered for constant contact with gasoline (and other liquid petroleum distillates) on the inside and the outside.
    • Excellent for use on fuel pumps in the gas tank (100 psi working pressure).
    • Fluoroelastomer (FKM) tubed cover resists gas permeation and retards aging.
    • Aramid Fiber reinforcement—the same fiber used in bulletproof vests and is pound-for-pound stronger than steel.
    • Meets the SAE 30R10 specification for submersible fuel line hose applications.
    • Maximum temperature +302 Degrees F (+150 Degrees C).
    http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/GAT0/27093.oap?pt=N0887&ppt=C0222