Mikuni BST 40mm pop-pop-pop-pop

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Durruti, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Durruti Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 SM 610S
    Other Motorcycles:
    None!
    Hello again!

I had some leak issues with my carb, so I left it to a mechanic to clear and fix it.
    Since then it works great, much more smoother and powerful, but it has a big problem.
    It causes my bike a lot of popping at deceleration.

It was popping a bit before clean&fix too, but now it does it every time I close the throttle above 3k rpm, which is extremely annoying and a bit dangerous in long time (I heard).

So my first thought is that he changed the needle position and it is too lean.
    Well, it seems it's not, I tried every position in needle, it just keeps farting even with the bottom (rich) position, in which it gets drunk and doesn't work cool anyway.

An air leak is not possible, since it wasn't popping before the carb clean.

Any other thoughts on this?

Plz, don't tell me to buy an FCR, I'd love to, but I can't afford it atm...
  2. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    i would try richening the idle/pilot circuit some...thats all that is used on decel. im not familiar with your carb however
  3. Durruti Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 SM 610S
    Other Motorcycles:
    None!
    If you mean the screw that makes idle richer, I did that, no improvement at all. :/
  4. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    does your bike have anything that circulates exhaust gas back into the engine? some streetbikes have this and blocking it off decreases or eliminates this. i went thru this on my zrx...however, i was only told by experts with zrx bikes that the decel popping was harmless, only annoying. i know its a way different bike but thats my experience with it. richening the pilots on those did help a bit along with a full exhaust, i blocked off the exhaust recirculation and the popping is gone. it sounded like a popcorn machine stock and frightened people sometimes, i think!
  5. Durruti Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 SM 610S
    Other Motorcycles:
    None!
    No, never heard about exhaust circulation before. :)
    I'm pretty sure that carb causes the problem, many KTM LC4 with the same Mikuni fart like Terence & Philip too, I just don't know how to reduce it to the "before carb cleaning" state, which was happening occasionally at hard deceleration.

If it's caused by lean mixture, it means higher temps, in long terms can possibly cause damage I guess.
  6. BadMotoWeazal Husqvarna
    Pro Class

make sure the exhaust is sealed at all the joints. Especially the head to header fitting
    justintendo likes this.
  7. Durruti Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 SM 610S
    Other Motorcycles:
    None!
    ^It is, also, if there was an air leak there, it should have popping at the same rate before the carb job, and it wasn't.
  8. Durruti Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 SM 610S
    Other Motorcycles:
    None!
    After all, I decided to buy an FCR.

Does anyone know what i should check before I buy it?
    I need a 41mm right?
  9. Borgschulze Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 Yamaha WR450
    Make sure the 2 halves of the carb have not been split. They have yellow tamper seal, and I'm pretty sure the bolts are safety heads.

Make sure the slide plate isn't worn out, and installed the correct way.

Check the choke and or hot start knob where is screws into the carb body for cracks.

Take the mixture screw out, and check the tip under a magnifying glass... if it's damaged, don't buy the carb, it'll never run right if the fuel screw was dropped and damaged the inside of the carb body. Will have horrible idle issues.

I would personally not buy a used FCR, but get a Lectron carb instead, they're about the same price as a used FCR, and lightyears easier to tune.
    Durruti likes this.
  10. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    FCR39 should be plenty. I ran a TM40 on my DR650 and richening up the pilot reduced the decel popping quite a bit. Go with a Lectron. BST40 is a hunk of crap IMHO. Way too much surging at low speeds.
    Durruti likes this.
  11. Durruti Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 SM 610S
    Other Motorcycles:
    None!
    Just finished FCR installation and tuning.
    It is 41mm, it was working on a Duke.

One word: WOW.
    3 words: O.M.G

:notworthy:

I have a totally different bike! Still can't believe how much power I was losing till now cause of crappy Mikuni.

No pops at all also.

Thnx all for the advices!
    duggoey and Centerline like this.