Mikuni TMX 38mm carb question

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Husky125SM, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Husky125SM Husqvarna

hello, i have a husqvarna 125sm, that i have bought with a mikuni tmx 38mm carb on. It has killed a few plugs, and releases this real sticky oil out the powervalve overflow . I understand this is from bad jetting, and the jets were changed by the previous owner, with the main jet being 420, which is way too big as standard is around 370 i believe. I was just wondering, does anyone have experience with this carb, and could i get this carb to work on the bike, after down jetting , or is it just too big ? cheers
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Not a lot of people have experience with the sm125 on this forum, but perhaps you might get lucky. You may want to state what year your bike is.
  3. joedirtbike418 Husqvarna
    A Class

I would recommend running maxima formula k2 as your oil premix. It leaves no carbon residue in the engine and rarley fouls plugs. If you have the owners manual, it should state in there jetting specs for specific elevations and such. What year is it? Also I would start with a 400 main.
  4. Husky125SM Husqvarna

thanks for the replies, il try the maxima oil, im currently using putoline rs959, my bike is a 2006 model
  5. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    try the 370 which was as per a wr125 2006 and a 30 pilot - look in photos of 2t bikes there is a guy in the Uk who knows these bikes
  6. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    HiI
    I had a same problem.

does you spark plug tells you you're OK with your jetting?
    or at least in the neighborhood?

the bike still runs OK (maybe not perfect but it's not sputtering or bogging)?

my bike was eating plugs and the plugs indicate that I was not to far out with the jetting.

when I changed my piston the piston looked clean with no blow by marks what so ever.

the piston ring was gone ( way out of specs)

I changed the piston and it's all fine

I still have some (not much) sticky oil in the power valve overflow but I can live with that (i would be worried if nothing came out of it)

run a compression test or just change your piston right away when it is near the changing time and than see again I would say.

Robert-Jan