More summery weather Dual Sport ride 03/28/15

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by Dirtdame, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    So....the weather has been downright hot and dry out here in Southern Cali. Pleasant for some dualsport, but terrible drought still.

It seemed like it was time to pull the big fat heavy bike out for a dual sport ride. My riding partner and I started in Anza, trading pavement and trail back and forth all day. We ended up in Idylwild at La Casita for a late lunch, after hitting Tripp Flats trail, Red Mountain, Hixon trail and Control road. After lunch, we moseyed down the highway to Garner Valley to see if the Forest Service ever opened the gate to one of our favorite loops. Approaching the north entrance, we found the gate covered in padlocks, but traversing the valley floor and heading to the south side, we found no locks on the gate. We proceeded all the way to the canyon before turning around, as it was late in the afternoon, and we still had a ways back to the truck. We just wanted to make sure that we could get in for the next time we ride out that way.

View from the top of Red mountain.
    [IMG]

Hixon trail seemed way gnarlier than I remember it being, especially the last part, the steep descent.
    [IMG]

Middle section of Hixon on the mountain slope.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpJa5pVNhZE

It was pretty good day, and I think I broke my unlucky streak....last three times that I rode my 450 out there, I crashed and got injured (well, the last time it was just my bike that got injured). But I made it through the whole ride on both wheels this time.:banana:
    ray_ray likes this.
  2. ptkatoomer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2020 ktm 300 xc-w, 2020 ktm 500exc
    We basically did that same ride two weeks ago. Hard to imagine, but there was still patches of snow up in Idyllwild. We ended up doing Hixon both ways. I know what you mean; some of those tight switch-back turns that were steep and rocky were pretty sketchy.
  3. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Yeah, sliding AND bouncing at the same time. I stalled out a few times.:(
  4. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Hi Dirtdame long time no hear. Glad you got your bush weapon out and came out unscathed.
    Take care and keep posting please-love your work.
    Dirtdame likes this.
  5. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Thanks, buddy!:thumbsup: