1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Motosportz WB165 franken bike -V- Motosportz WB165 franken bike clone

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Motosportz, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    A year and a half ago I built a 165 frankenbike based on a $900 craigslist 04 CR125. That build is here...

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/my-second-165-kitted-bike-and-its-the-frankenbike.29265/

It ended up a fantastic bike and gets ridden and raced a ton and has been my go to woods bike for a long time now. I just love that old POS. I have massaged it into perfection for me and love riding it and it amazes me all the time.

A few months ago high school buddy Mike, a very accomplished rider himself had just finished restoring and upgrading what he thought was the ultimate woods bike from his memories. He decked out a KX250. We went riding and after riding my WB165 he was in love. 2 days later I found him a super clean 04 on CL and he bought it, sold his KX and went to work virtually duplicating my WB165 but with some of his own flavors.

He started with what was almost a new 04 CR125 and did a frame up upgrade tot he bike. That build is here. It turned out beautiful and is a really nice bike.

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/2004-cr-wb165-build-thread.35916/

He finally got it done enough to ride and we took the WB165's out to play.

[IMG]

[IMG]

The area is full of chocolate single track goodness that we hit on a perfect day.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

All in all Mikes bike worked great. Forks were way to stiff but some clicker adjustments brought them close to being very good. Mike loves the bike and he is very picky. Needs some more massaging but getting really close.

Here is what we learned riding them back to back...

1. The FMF pipe makes more upper mid and top, his bike is a rocket on top. My bike with the KTM 200 Doma makes way more bottom and mid. We both liked my motor better as it made much more useful power for our woods riding. Don't get me wrong had my bike not been there he would have been really happy with his as is, it is a great runner and powerful. The Doma just makes the power more usable and more like a 250, short shift and grunt it around. Better on loose rock hills etc.

2. The Lectron on his bike worked perfect as delivered.

3. He used the same Racetech gold valve settings I did on my fork and same House of HP progressive springs, same oil and level. But his forks seems a lot stiffer. We backed off the compression clickers 7 clicks and added 2 clicks of rebound and they are very good now. I think if he drops his fork oil level a little they will be very good.

4. My seat concepts seat freaking rules. Already knew this but back to back the difference is :eek:

5. He also copied my shock settings and sent the shock to TBT in WA for the same shim stack as mine and ordered the same 5.4 shock. His rear end works fantastic just like mine, maybe better.

6. He has his bike setup to accept my Motosportz damper but I have not got him one yet as I need to modify a top clamp for this application. I also wanted him to ride it once or twice without so he could see the difference. Shameless plug here but the difference is also :eek:. My bike is a lot more settled and relaxed and EZer to hold a line on,. It is a huge and obvious difference.

7. Tires. His had brand new Michelins on it. Mine has a new rear Motoz Terrapactor and very old 2000 mile Motoz ST front. Michelin's suck IMHO. Was joking about it before the ride. Mike concures. My 2000 mile ST worked way better than his brand new tire. Feels like your riding on super tall super soft knobs on his bike and it is unnerving. We both pretty much hated his tires and thought my totally worn out ST front worked worlds better.

8. My hydro clutch feels a lot nicer then the cable unit. Both worked great just the hydro has such a smooth feel to it.

So in the end both bikes feel great. Mike loved his new bike and riding it back to back with mine gave him some things to massage. His bike is great and going to be fantastic once he dials a few small items. His bike feels very tight and new where mine feels more like well worn in shoes. These plentiful 04 CR125's are a fantastic starting point for a great off road motorcycle (as are pretty much all 2000 and up CR125's). Bottom line is you can take a 10 year old bike you can buy for $1000, toss $2500 at it and build a bike that is as good or better than anything else out there. Its fun, rewarding and makes a great bike to keep and massage to your hearts content. Mike goes through bikes like underwear but I have a feeling this machine might stick for him and be a long time friend. Its a very good looking bike with tons of flare and coolness to it and unique and int he end works fantastic. Fun stuff.
    wallybean likes this.
  2. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f
    I have a little tip for Mike ! if he is wants more life time from his underwear try wearing his undies on day one the right way round, then on the second day wear them back to front, on the third day turn them inside out and wear them, and then on the forth day wear them inside out but back to front and there you have it- Four days from one set of undies, this way he wont go through so many :lol:

Nice report / review :thumbsup:
    wallybean likes this.
  3. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Kelly did you get that pipe from Myron? If you did just an FYI, I originally bought that pipe for my '12 but the new frame requires a longer header and stinger to make that pipe work and it killed any top completely. Wouldn't pull above ~7000 rpm. Same pipe shortened to work on the old frame works considerably better. Other problem is that pipe is well over $300 shipped to the US and that is before you convert it. An old beater copy of that pipe that I got from the UK originally set up on his 01 CR165 made better power "everywhere" than any other combination of 165 pipe/motor that I have ever tried. He had to do some cutting and re-welding/re-configuring to that pipe to get it to work as it had been completely squashed. Also his motor had a completely different intake/reed system than any of the others. Haven't been able to duplicate that power band with any other combination but probably can't be duplicated either.
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Yes. Blake actually bought it for me from Myron after smashing my other and much different Doma. Yes it is flat on top as noted but make such good bottom and mid i have no need for top. If I rode more open stuff I'd have the FMF on there.
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Here is that Myron pipe and i am running it with a long FMF turbine core muffler. Runs hard bottom and mid and flat on top.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

So far i have tried...

FMF we ship with the 165 kits - Great all around pipe with good mid and top but semi soft bottom

Newer KTM200 doma - Gobs of mid and was my favorite pipe

this old 200 Doma - Really good bottom and mid but not much top

FMF SST - Simiar to othe FMF but smoother transition and really good top. Runs really similar to Blakes 165 with 200 PC pipe.

125 doma - on a 165 has good top but looses a lot of bottom and mid.

Tried lots of different mufflers to with limited results.

[IMG]
    WoodsChick likes this.
  6. Jersey Woods I live to ride !

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 150 2018 TE 150
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM EXC 250 F Honda 300 ATV
    Two great looking bikes and a lot of info. Thanks for the report Kelly. :cheers:
  7. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Damn, I like the looks of the blue WR's. I'm thinking I need to refresh my `09.
  8. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Blu and wht add some oem graphic style and some yellow and voila a 2014 Husqvarna. That bike is every bit as good as any late model 2T machine.
  9. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

On the one that was so good Myron had to cut and rotate the header and it moved the whole pipe back and around so his stinger was at least 3 inches shorter. It also changed the header dimensions slightly. The result was about the same bottom as you have now but more mid and a never ending top.
  10. Aviduser Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 cr 165
    Wow it's crazy how soon that pipe tapers to the stinger. With my 125 fatty the kickstart rests on the pipe.
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

thats how all the old KTM 200 were too. Its an odd looking pipe.
  12. venturini Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '15 TC 250 '13 CR 150 '11 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 KTM 250 XC
    Did you guys try swapping front wheel/tire to see the effect it had on the feel of his forks?
  13. Hoov165x Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    The Latest: 2014 FE250
    Funny you mention that as I was thinking that yesterday. I think it will make a positive difference after I burn that S12, but I have some other fine tuning I am going to do with oil level and a CH3 instead of a CH4 valve stack. The fork really is awesome and the only difference right now between the two bikes forks is the oil level (Kelly has lost some with leaky seals).
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

My CH4 stack was never as stiff as your bike was so maybe I was running a lower oil level to begin with (don't think so though) or something. Once I backed your compression clickers out 7 I thought it was very good. I would just drop the oil slightly and runt he clicker settings I left it at. Then you can stiffen it up for Chinahat and open areas.