1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st muffler repack vs horsepower

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by lankydoug, Feb 25, 2013.

1. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Has anyone experienced a difference in horsepower related to how the silencer is repacked? For example if you use the 2 stroke FMF packing that is bagged loose and pack it tight compared to simply cutting the sheet type of packing to length, giving it a wrap and buttoning it up.
  2. Jhunter Husqvarna
    AA Class

I did my FMF power core a few months ago with the shreded 'Pink' FMF stuff. What came out was the sheet wrap stuff. My HP feels the same but the bike is quieter. The key on mine was the baffel. Almost very little hole was plugged with spooge making the packing useless. When I repacked mine, I didn't over pack and wrap it super tight. Again, no HP difference.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I have never felt a difference. I did have a muffler fall apart internally once and could not figure out why my bike would not rev out. After fixing that :eek:
  4. Long_Stroke Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR300, 2013 WR144, 2020 FE501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    1996 DR350, 2002 Aprilia Caponord
    I've got some the the sheet stuff and want to repack before riding very much with the new Lectron.... which will defeat the purpose of any comparison. Maybe I should ride the goopy silencer first a couple of times, then repack and compare. My silencer/pipe are both stock. I'll wait and report back.
  5. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    Loose vs Sheet ... no real difference Doug but it depends on how tight you pack them as JHunter points out. Personally l don't like the loose stuff as l don't have a good feel on how consistent the packing is...last time l packed with loose stuff it ended up being an addition to exhaust gases before the premix held it together, then l had a hot spot where there was no packing - IMO, the sheet stuff is easier!!
  6. CelticDude Historically Fast!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    x
    I tried the loose stringy stuff a while back. Caused me to fail a 98 dB sound test. I took the muffler apart and could see why. The packing had become so stuck to the perforated tube that I had to chisel it off and then use a propane torch to finish cleaning it! :mad: