MXA CR144 mod build

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by MotoMarc36, Jun 4, 2013.

1. MotoMarc36 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR144, 04 TC450, 04 TC250, CR50
    Other Motorcycles:
    Many. Too many.
    Just got my new issue of MXA and it's a big two-stroke issue, including the TM144 and their modified Husky CR144 build. Basically, they handed it over to Mitch Payton and Bones Bacon at Pro Circuit to build them a mod CR144. Long story short, they ended up with a motor that was a tick shy of 42 rwhp on pump gas, for $740 retail (6+ horsepower for the scrutinizers). They turned down the racegas build which Mitch was excited about. Said the suspension worked out even better. Also bragged about their custom graphics, which I think are foul!:thumbsdown:

Anyway a cool read and a damn potent motor. wonder what mitch's C12 engine produced?

Issue also had a blurb about Husky fielding a GP team for 2014. Pit Bierer said it will field a top-10 team, and (in contradiction to what we've heard) the bikes will be produced in Italy. Weird, only time will sort that stuff out.

Worth buying the issue just for the Husky read and all the 2-stroke stuff!:thumbsup:
  2. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Cool, thanks for the heads up.
  3. MotoMarc36 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Many. Too many.
    Ok I screwed up the numbers a bit. "This bike was a rocket. How much of a rocket? On the dyno, our stock CR125 produced 35.04 hpv@ 11,200 rpm. The stock 144 kit with PC pipe/silencer produced 36.27 at 11,900 rpm, and more significantly made 5 more HP at 7000 rpm for a better launch out of turns. The full-race engine produced 40.77hp at 11,700rpm. Test riders were over the moon with joy".

Still pretty sweet. Probably no match for a WB165 in the woods, but a potent MX weapon and sweet to read about!
    robertaccio likes this.
  4. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Just think some guy held up in the mountains of Montana waiting for the snow to melt has produced a better little bore husky then those fancy
    Pro shops with there dyno and computers not only did he make a big bore kit that Husky said could not be done He then found a over the shelf
    FMF pipe and fancy lectron Carb to then get the fuel and air in produce a big bang and then spit it out the FMF pipe

Long live the Walt Smith 165 Heard that old mt man has signed a contract with the new owners to help produce a super new trick small bore
    Husky/Husaberg/KTM or what ever they plan to call it But wait the snow has melted and Walt is out riding
    bmah, sabortooth, john01 and 6 others like this.
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    thanks for the heads up, will check that out.

These are great motors. So bullet proof even when you add the 165 kit. My WB165 / Lectron bike worked so fantastic at the ISDE this last weekend I could not ave been more pleased. Fantastic motors.
  6. MotoMarc36 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Many. Too many.
    Ya Mitch is a chump and Pro Circuit sucks...LOL JK all kidding aside No disrespect to Walt and I'm sure he wouldn't take it that way. I WILL own a WB165!!

I really just love reading about a bike I own and love and seeing it get great reviews and great exposure from the most respected press in the MX industry, they are the harshest critics. I mean we all know how sweet these are. Now it is there for a huge unreached segment to see. Isn't that a positive?

I feel a pain of frusrtration even still, I feel that the x-lite and the CR125/144 are FINALLY getting just notice and respect outside of our little circle, and now the rug may get pulled out.....Like KTM will get immediate benefit from the Italian bike's success without deserving it....make any sense?
    surfer1100 and john01 like this.
  7. street2dirt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 TXC310, WR300, 85 125WR, 82 175XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G650X
    I'm hoping to see a race test from every dirt rag that had a CR125/144 at this event. Wasn't there about 10 different bikes set up by mags & websites??
  8. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I totally get what you are say'n MotoMarc36 and agree 100%. IMHO there are Huskys that the new owner shouldn't touch other than maybe fine tuning like the CR/WR 125/144, TC 250, and TXC310. I've never had the pleasure of riding a WR250/300 but from what I read on here they don't need much help either :D. It does feel good to finally read some positive reports on the best bikes made.
    MotoMarc36 likes this.
  9. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Very much.
    surfer1100 and robertaccio like this.