1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc My 2013 build & ramblings (lots of pics) & some Q's.

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by mnnthbx, Aug 25, 2012.

1. mnnthbx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 CR 144
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thriumph Thruxton, Honda Ruckus
    No rocket science here, but I've got a new toy, I like pics, and I tend to ramble, so that's what will follow...

I've been a KTM guy for a long time now. Most recently a big power Slavens ported 300. It was an amazing bike in every regard, however what used to be weekly rides have now turned into semi monthly rides. In an effort to perhaps spark excitement, I went the complete other direction, and picked up this 2013 CR. I'm a fairly fast trail hound, and a mid pack Vet C hare scrambler. What little time I've spent on small bores made me feel fast, whether I was or not.

I've had a bit of prior Husky experience, all in the form of motards. I had a 05 610 and a 09 510. All three of these bikes were bought from Gerald @ www.upstatecycle.com some 200 miles away from me. Honest note: I've bought a lot of stuff over the years, and have never dealt with a shop as fantastic as his operation. I just can't say enough good about them....

Anyway, here's the bike as it sits after tinkering a little.
    [IMG]

I'm a controls freak, and have become used to the precise feel of the G2 throttles, so on that went.
    [IMG]

I wanted the run the Fastway guards, as I feel they mount cleaner than most. After getting the bike, I realized they won't bolt up, as it seems Husky went to some slanted bar clamp design. I called Gerald up, and he sent me the bar mounts off a 2011, allowing me to fit the Fastways. I've got some BRP aluminum cones to stick in there as well. Not a fan of rubber mounting bars.
    [IMG]

STR bleeders.
    [IMG]

I'm 6"2, so I picked up Kelly's 1" risers. Ironically, they wouldn't have fit up super clean w/ the earlier mentioned 2013 mounts, so getting the 2011's helped this area as well.
    [IMG]

I've used PG Graphics forever. Sticking w/ the theme of trying something new, I chose Decal Works for the first time. I'm pleased.
    [IMG]

I tossed on a 52 tooth Ironman sprocket.
    [IMG]

That causes me some concern though... The chain blocks are about all the way forward. There's quiet a bit of angle from the chain guide into the sprocket. The tire contacts the mudflap, which contacts the swingarm. I know lots of folks on here run the 52 rear, so I guess my issue is that the bike hasn't been ridden. If it had some degree of chain stretch or tire wear, there would be less issue. My common sense tells me to get a longer chain, however I'm guessing is will be as far back as this is far forward... Your thoughts and advise please......
    [IMG]

I couldn't help myself from getting the Scalvini pipe. Of note: While the mounted fitment looks to be spot on, getting the pipe in position around the frame before you even grab the first bolt is all but impossible.
    [IMG]

The carb is gone to RB Designs for his treatment. I had a friend w/ Ron's work, and the results were very impressive, so I'm hoping I'll see the sae on this bike.
  2. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    I've owned 3 CR 125/150's since 2009. Rest assured you'll be happy that the chain is as far forward as it is now. The POS will be halfway back in a few rides. The stock chain is JUNK and stretches like a rubber band. Your best bet would be to buy a replacement now and have it on hand.
  3. mnnthbx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 CR 144
    Other Motorcycles:
    On the topic of chains... I've always run O-ring chains. I'm not Mike Lafferty, and don't know if I can feel the difference from the seat, but perhaps it has a bigger impact on the small bore. You guys prefer O-ring or non O-ring?
  4. Bart Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TC450, 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 TM Racing EN300 and EN450
    What make is that rear sprocket, looks to be made of steel yet very lite.
  5. mnnthbx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 CR 144
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes & Yes. It's by Ironman. They last forever.
  6. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr144 with lectron carb, stuff!
    Congrats on the new bike! I run 13-53 gearing on my wr 144 and use D.I.D. narrow enduro racing x-ring chain.My rear axle is near the middle of the swing-arm slot since I put the chain and sprockets on and I have not had to adjust it yet!(approx.400km of off-road riding). This chain is narrower and lighter than other o-ring 520 size chains and causes less drag on the chain guide yet seems to stretch very little so far. you can view my thread"new 2010 wr144" for some pics of my chain and sprocket choices.Have fun and welcome to the tiddler club!:cheers:.
  7. Gotlabs Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 CR144 X 2!
    My daughter has Kriegs old bike with 12/52 gearing and oring chain and bike has plenty of power. I can't wait to pick up a 13! You are in for treat !!!
  8. mnnthbx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 CR 144
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sounds good guys. Made a tiny bit of progress this evening. The aluminum cones showed up and I put them on. Bars feel great now. Stuck an hour meter behind the # plate as well.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    huskybear likes this.
  9. mnnthbx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 CR 144
    Other Motorcycles:
  10. Jersey Woods I live to ride !

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 150 2018 TE 150
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM EXC 250 F Honda 300 ATV
    Nice bike and good luck with it...... I know your gonna enjoy this bike....
  11. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Sweet! Congrats. And don't forget if you feel the need for more power the WB is an excellent option :D. :cheers:
  12. mnnthbx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 CR 144
    Other Motorcycles:
    Still inching along. Luckily, I have to wait on the carb to return, as I'm not a patient person, and it affords me the chance to take my time through all the rest... Swapped to the 144 top end.
    [IMG]

The new "big" piston...
    [IMG]

Pipe's on. Hangers run bit different, but fitment is good.
    [IMG]

[IMG]
    rockdancer and huskybear like this.
  13. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    same ... with 13 and 52 first is very short and maxes at 80 to 90 k in 6th - I am going to change to 14 front .
    Nice work on the bike and photos - love the garage set-up and bike stand
  14. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR
    once again, excellent photos! crazy clean machine. DeCal Works makes a good product, have a set on my TC. solid.

random question... would us WR165 guys see any benefit running the CR silencer (in my case, FMF flavor) for track use? shorter, no SA = little more power down low? ive been thinking of trying one.

dont mean to derail, just popped in my head seeing that shorter silencer. and my goodness is the Scalvini a work of art ;)
  15. mnnthbx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 CR 144
    Other Motorcycles:
    Normally, I wouldn't put much stock in big gains on silencers. Having said that, I've seen it first hand when switching from a SA to a MX shorty on my friend's KTM 300. More snap for sure in that case.
  16. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR
    right, i wouldnt image big gains either but with this 'small bore' bike, every little tweak seems to produce a positive result. ~$120 would be pretty cheap to have both silencers on hand.
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Great looking bike and stupid fun. Enjoy

I deal with Gerald, funny dude and seems like real good people.
  18. mnnthbx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 CR 144
    Other Motorcycles:
    For technical riding, how far up are you guys running the forks in the clamps? Currently, I have one line and some change showing....
  19. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr144 with lectron carb, stuff!
    3rd line just showing. turns great and no head-shake at speed:thumbsup:. Make sure you adjust the steering stops,from the factory mine were set too far out and made tight turns a little tricky.My bike has the 50mm 'zoke forks and yours has the kayaba forks so the marks may not be comparable.:cheers:.
  20. mnnthbx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 CR 144
    Other Motorcycles:
    My KYB's only have two lines. What is your measurement from the top of the fork (not fork cap)?