My EJK chronicle

Discussion in 'TR650' started by V8Astro, Jul 23, 2014.

1. V8Astro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Strada / 2008 SMR510
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki GS500, Yamaha TR125L
    I know there's already an "EJK" thread on here. I wanted to start a new one so I could keep track of my experiences as it happens. I ordered the EJK tuner p/n 9110013. The install is simple but I took some pics for posterity.

The EJK needs you to disconnect the O2 sensor. Pretty straight forward...[IMG]

[IMG]

I decided I wanted to remove the O2 sensor entirely. I don't want to gunk it up. It will be unplugged which means the heater element won't be working. I have a few O2 sensor plugs kicking around so I decided to play it safe.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I did the ECU reset I found on the forum. I didn't go ride yet but I will say the ole nose-o-meter likes the "tune" at cold start (EJK idle/cruise set to 6.5).
    Geeza and Quirky like this.
  2. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
    Nice write up.
    V8Astro likes this.
  3. Clete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '01 CR/WR 250, '13 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '06 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
    Go ride! Go ride! So we can get some feedback from ya.
    V8Astro likes this.
  4. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Hey V8, mind if I piggyback in on this? I got a Lexx for a 700 raptor, but need plug adaptors.

When unhooking the injector, I had to reach with my pinky to depress the wire clip, then remove. How did you fair on that?

I would like a full list of settings you are starting with if possible. I am also looking into getting a new 500cc injector for the bike, with the uscar plug (ev 14) which is the plug end on the Lexx (for Raptor), the Terra and BMW's use the EV1 or minitimer.

Both, raptor and terra run a high impedance injector, so all is good.

What mods do you have?
  5. V8Astro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I used a set of oring picks to disengage the clip and remove the injector plug. Right now I'm using settings 6.5 - 4 - 4 - 8 - 2 - 4.5 to start.

I would speculate, after seeing many dyno sheets, that I will try lowering the "red" setting. For now I will make one change at a time.

I running the pod mod and 15T front sprocket.
    PaulC and Motosportz like this.
  6. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Those give me a place to start on mine, since it was not designed or tuned for the TR650. I have the Pod Air filter and a single can and a 14T, my 15 showed up today, might use that one for the tests. I figure to take it to the dyno for best results and will document it all. I won't be tuning for max power, unless that is what is giving the best AF ratios and running good. I'm expecting some performance gains, and hope to see an increase in MPG. But who knows.

There are some good videos on how to tune these. The EJK video is not as good/detailed as some of the others.

I have high hopes for these tuners.
  7. wferrari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom
    Nice description V8Astro. I won't have the luxury to remove the lambda sensor, as I have to at least give the appearance of having it plugged, and every couple of years the bike will go through mandatory revision. I will try to create or buy an short extension cable so that only the heating part is function, anyone know where I can get both female and male plugs?

Also I'm planning on performing the TPS reset before installing the EJK, with the O2 sensor still connected.
  8. V8Astro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I adjusted settings so the EJK would add fuel at idle. WOW. I'm currently at 5.5 - 3 - 3 - 1 - 2 - 4.5

The "1" is the idle switch point. Dobeck suggested I set to "1" so the EJK will add fuel at idle. What a difference!

I went for a ride. Cruising in any gear at. 3k RPM is possible and quite pleasant. The engine feels like a sewing machine now. No vibes, no intake noise common the pod mod. The pod mod intake noise always sounded like an engine on the verge of a lean intake backfire. I was right. Give it the correct fuel and that roar is gone. The noise never bothered me. What bothered me was it sounded like it was going to sneeze out the intake all the time.

Downshifting is easy now. I can snap the throttle to get the gear without the engine balking. Decel isn't as abrupt which I'm sure was terrible for you ADV/Terra guys.

Here's a quick video. Not that visually thrilling but this video starts 5 sec after I cranked the engine. Notice I can blip the throttle now. No stall!!
    Motosportz likes this.
  9. V8Astro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
  10. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    The Video is private. Can you make it public please?
  11. V8Astro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Oops! Fixed..?
  12. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yup, working now. Thanks
  13. V8Astro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    The more the merrier! How did you determine the stock injector size?
  14. wferrari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom
    Have you tried to run slightly leaner on green, like at 5 or 4.5? I think you've already nailed the problem by lowering the green switch point.
  15. V8Astro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I haven't. It feels great at 5.5. I could try leaner but I like the way it runs on cold start-up.

The stock tune the engine sounds like it's "banging" at idle and hunting for 1600 rpm like others have said. All that noise and irregular behavior is gone now.
  16. V8Astro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Settings for last weekend: 5.5 - 2 - .5 - 1 - 2 - 4.5

It felt a little lazy on the top end so did a back-to-back test. I set the "Mode 3, RED" fuel to .5. I did a WOT pass with the setting at 3, then did another at .5. The latter was much quicker to pickup speed so I left it there. We all know the stock maps fuel sufficiently at 100% throttle. That way the EJK doesn't add any additional fuel at WOT. Feels better.

My next endevour will be adjust "Mode 2, YELLOW" fuel and the trigger point. Right now I think yellow fuel is either too high, or comes in too soon. My guess is it comes in too soon. I will try settings 5.5 - 2 - .5 - 1 - 4 - 4.5 next.
  17. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50

Thanks. I am just guessing. I haven't found or researched what size the TR injector is. I saw some numbers floating around that maybe a 385 cc. But for performance, it seems that 500cc injector should be enough for the TR. That is all I am basing it on.

I contacted an injector guy and he seems to think that a bigger injector can eliminate some of the issues, and not get corrected out. Hopefully I will have my new exhaust finished this week, and get the Lexx hooked up. more flow, more fuel, more air, should be fun.
  18. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    This looks so promising. Hopefully the new pipe will put me right where i need to be.
  19. V8Astro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I tried lowering "Mode 2, yellow" and it didn't like it. The intake roar came back a little-->lean. The ride to work this morning was nice. We've had temps in the low 80°F during the day, 60°F in the morning. Really nice for midwest this time of year.

Anyway the morning ride I used 5.5 - 3 - .5 - 1 - 4 - 4.5 and it seemed to like it. I will continue to increase "Mode 5, yellow/blue" until I think it feels right and have no dead spots in the power delivery.

I may try lowering "Mode 1, green" for the ride home. Just to see how it acts....
    Motosportz likes this.
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Fun to have options like that to do on the fly tuning. I love my JD on my TE511.
    V8Astro likes this.