1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc My Friend Doug Wants Me To Get Him A 6.0 Rear Shock Spring For His 2012 Wr 125???

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by MotoXotica, Feb 16, 2012.

1. MotoXotica Husqvarna
    AA Class

what do you all think?he weighs in at 180lbs.i think he is going a bit too stiff.stock i think is a 5.0.Dan
  2. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Beta 350RR & 1986 430XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1975 Rokon and 2004 Kawasaki KX65
    On the old huskys we ran HUGE springs and light valving...I am talking OLD like late 80s....I think we ran 6.7 or 6.9 but the linkage wasnt near as progressive...
  3. wait4me Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    85 YZ490 "Ol Bessy"
    I believe Vinduro uses a 6.0 on his. Same weight but some serious skills.
  4. Sthorny Husqvarna
    A Class

I'm 220 and running a 5.8 I think a 6 would be stiff at his weight but if that's what he wants!!
  5. Auslander Husqvarna
    AA Class

I am 185lbs and have a 5.8 on my '06 WR125. I get the right amount of sag without too much preload. It rides much better than the 5.4 I had previously.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Seems way stiff. I run a 5.4 for woods work at 195 pounds.
  7. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I'm not sure if the WR250 uses the same linkage geometry as a 125 but I know the bike itself is heavier and I use a 5.6 on my 09 WR250, I weigh 210lbs and ride only in the woods, no motocross.
  8. raisrx251 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Stock should be around 5.2?, look for the sticker on the bottom coil of the spring, you may have to turn the spring. If he is riding woods and 180 I would say 5.4 being on the stiff side. I understand some people have different opinions on spring rates but I have ridden a bike with a 6.0 and I am 200lbs, all I can say is ouch.
  9. erigre Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    yes
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    It's interesting that there is so much discrepancy in rear spring rates. And yet it seems they work for the different people...

I went with Dwight's idea and it works for me on the wr165. I'm around 190 and put a 6.0 on the shock. With around 8-10mm of preload, I get perfect sag numbers and I like the way the bike rides. Lots of singletrack with roots, rocks elevation changes.

My bike (used 09 wr125) came with a 5.4 and I could never get the numbers. I never rode it in earnest with the 5.4, but the yard ripping felt stiff initially and yet it bottomed. Too much preload.

I spoke with Drew at WER about springs and he thought I was going way too stiff as well. It seems to work well, but I don't have 30 years of off road riding under my belt like some the guys here.
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I am in the heavy springs light valving for off road camp but still seems like a 6.0 is stiff.
  11. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    If I can get my sag numbers correct with 8mm preload and a 5.6 spring and I weigh 210 then I don't see how someone that weighs 185 and uses a 6.0 can get their sag numbers correct with 8-10mm. I'm not saying they are wrong but maybe springs aren't rated accurately. I've used a 5.6 on my GasGas (Ohlins) and my Husky with good sag numbers on both. I do think I could have used a 5.8 or maybe even a 6.0 with little to no preload and still got the sag numbers I was looking for.

Bottoming out, or not, is a function of the dampening and by staying closer to the stock spring rate I was able to get my dampening set without a re-valve. In fact it helped the the dampening was on the stiff side with the stock 5.4 spring because after changing to a 5.6 the sweet spot on the clickers came out close to the middle of the adjustment.
  12. CelticDude Historically Fast!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    x
    Dwight is meticulous about setting his bikes up properly so I'm going with his settings. I don't know about the other bikes but the WR-125 comes very soft on the back and just a bit stiff in the front.
  13. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Hall's Cycles
    3801 N. Dirksen Parkway
    Springfield, IL 62707
    (217)789-0107 (217)789-7408 Fax

Hall's has the 6kg springs instock. Drew Smith rode my bike at the Penn. Nat'l Enduro and was shocked on how well it worked. He thought it would be too stiff too but declared it good. I like my suspension plush. I am running about 33mm static and 103mm rider sag. Works great. OH, Jay Hall took out about 25% of my H/S compression damping. I have about 8mm preload on the spring. Over 10mm preload is too much.
    I actually had to go down a size in the front to get the right sag numbers. With the right springs the bike sits a bit lower making it easier to throw a leg over.
  14. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

6kg spring will NOT be too heavy for him. If the bike still comes with a .42kg fork spring he needs a .40kg. Set rear rider sag at 103mm. I bet your preload will be about 7-8mm and static sag about 33mm.
  15. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

HEY, WHO YOU CALLING OLD ?
  16. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Beta 350RR & 1986 430XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1975 Rokon and 2004 Kawasaki KX65
    me:D...lol....although I think you have a few years on me....and my bro has 10 on me....
  17. CelticDude Historically Fast!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    x
    OK. Dan sold me a 5.4 to try out for now. I'm riding the Picacho Creek National Hare Scrambles on Sunday. :banana:
  18. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Newer frames 09 WR 125 + have different linkage. I am 6.2 could stretch to 6.4.

Older frames, like my 08 WR250, use the lower # springs. I am 5.6 could stretch to 5.8.

If I put the 6.2 on my WR250 I have no sag.
  19. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I figured there had to be some sort of difference since the guys who got different results appeared to know what they were talking about and after all measuring sag isn't difficult.