My "new camera" ride. 02/26/5

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by Dirtdame, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    So I got this new Hero 3+ Silver to replace my old Hero HD model. I really love the new camera. Sound quality isn't quite so good, and medium and narrow FOV modes are probably useless for most applications, but everything else seems to be much better. I can record in a higher resolution format, and at more frames per second. The wide angle is way less "fish eye" and renders a more accurate view of what I see as a I ride over the countryside. The latch hinge is actually attached to the case, so it can't just fall off. The buttons are larger and easier to operate, so that I turn the camera on and off, even with my gloves on. And the camera beeps are loud enough, that I don't have to shut the engine off to hear the camera power up and go into the chosen mode. I'm pleased.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORWitRLiwy8
  2. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    I need to get a GoPro sometime. Nice looking area you have to ride there.

I like the Motorex front fender stickers you got there. I had a set just like them but couldn't get them to stay put on my TE.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    need to aim it higher, I hurt my neck trying to look up :)
    troy deck likes this.
  4. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I acually did aim it higher later. Had to get used to the way the camera worked and all. Although I would have liked it higher in that clip, there would be times when (ahem) not having the horizon in the shot might be a good idea.:busted:
  5. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I actually went out on Tuesday and took a few clips, but they turned out so bad, that I scrapped them all. I used the medium FOV setting, and it looked like I was filming just the front fender of my bike.:(
  6. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Looking good DD ... More seat time is needed it appears :0

--
    This is a link to video program that allows very easy trimming of a video... Either end of the VID can be chopped off or a section from the middle of video can be cut out, easily and quickly ...
    Might help you or someone else with their videos..

http://www.tomatosoft.biz/blog/2012/10/03/free-video-cutter/
  7. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Thanks for the link, but I have editing tools on the Mac and editing tools on Youtube. In fact, both the beginning and the end of the above video was trimmed out before I published it. I trim almost all my videos.
  8. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    I love mine. My honey surprised me with one Xmas 12'. So far I've used it for motorcycles, capturing skiing and snowboarding with the family, and scuba diving. In the beginning I shot a lot of 720, trying to save space, but quickly realized that full 1080/30 was a great compromise.

Got a whole loop of HnH race before the battery died. The only thing I think I need to do is get a new or perhaps higher capacity battery. Right now it's good for about 2 1/2-3 hours continuous shooting. If I'm careful with starting and stopping clips and powering it down out play riding, it will last almost all day.
    Dirtdame likes this.
  9. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Really cool trail and the video looks great! I still haven't used my camera because i always forget it lol.
    Dirtdame likes this.
  10. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I'm making a guess on the future here again but I'm beginning to think all the videos I make are really for myself... I'll watch them yrs down the road when I can't ride or just stop riding ...

Hate to admit, I can almost, almost watch a video, sometime yours, usually mine, and it's like I'm there, riding the bike but on the couch.
    Dirtdame likes this.
  11. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I know that all the videos that I make are for when I can't ride anymore, either because I'm too old, or because all the riding areas have been closed. I like to document all the trails that I can still ride on, and I even documented one that has been closed for years by just walking it. Sometimes at night, when I can't sleep, I switch to the "My Youtube" channel and play the videos. After a while, the sound of the bike engine soothes me and I drift off to sleep, dreaming of sweet trail rides. Of course, after a while I wake up and have to turn the TV off.:rolleyes:
    jimmyc, Huskynoobee and ray_ray like this.
  12. ptkatoomer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2020 ktm 300 xc-w, 2020 ktm 500exc
    A buddy let me borrow his GoPro once and I used it when riding a decently challenging trail. Trouble is, when you view it, it doesn't really convey the technical aspect of the ride, how steep the trail is or anything. My wife, who has no clue about dirt bike riding just looks at it and says "That doesn't look so tough"........:rolleyes:
    Motosportz and Dirtdame like this.
  13. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I know, right? Nothing looks as steep or as gnarly in the video as it looks "in person"!
    268fords likes this.
  14. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic/Ducati SFV2
    That's what the b-roll, drone camera, editing and soundtrack are for :cool:
    Huskynoobee likes this.
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

I would not go to that site...

The site ahead contains harmful programs

Attackers on www.tomatosoft.biz might attempt to trick you into installing programs that harm your browsing experience (for example, by changing your homepage or showing extra ads on sites you visit).
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Also you can do all that right in youtube after you upload the vid.
  17. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    I stick with Windows movie maker and want to try the free GoPro edit software.
  18. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic/Ducati SFV2
    Do download the free go pro studio software. Allows you to record and process using "Protune". Lot's of adjustments as well. While I have Premiere Pro, AE, Win Movie, etc... I use GP Studio unless doing a more long form edit. Exports corrected stills as well as edits/exports full video. Can get bogged down if not the only application running so let it do it's thing on imports or can stall requiring a re-import of specific video. Other than that and lack of audio on slow mo, works well.

http://shop.gopro.com/softwareandapp/gopro-studio/GoPro-Studio.html?utm_content=gopro studio download&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=US_Brand_SearchBeta_Bing_SiteLinks&utm_source=bing&utm_term=+go +pro
    Dirtdame likes this.
  19. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I did a DirtView walk video to try and show the gnarly stuff I ride .... Rocks and ruts knee high show up show up on video as the size of your fist or something ... A true look at the grade angles ~only show up on downhills so I usually do a roll-down video for that effect...

You guys have some good ideas on editing but I'm just not a real movie maker ... I try to keep my lens clean and I'll trim the ends maybe but the sound of the engine is about the only way most of my stuff shows the climbs I'm doing are not ~flat. That's way I also show the trails on the maps with the rideleader APP ... It provides a clue and is simple to use.