My new favorite hill climb

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by ray_ray, Feb 3, 2014.

1. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    This is my new favorite uphill\downhill \ trail up and over a ridge top here... Not sure how I missed finding it before now unless it is fairly new and I have not been over in that area in the last few months ... Any way, this is only half of it ... Where the tower is built, starts the down hill side that looks lots more steep and technical when I walked over to get a view of it ...

I've seen many many fields here that have that tiered, levied structure and rode a few up and over the levees;but not this many leevees in a row and not with the the sharp edges cut off the top ... Thanks to the farmer who did this :) ... Probably those guys in the home living beside the field ... And it has some tree roots! Just like GPNF! I never see many roots here :(

There's some really good dirt (for this place) at the bottom where the crops are being grown.

View: http://youtu.be/brAxaFPAwmE

Looks like another good place for the bike speed \ effort testing ... Should not so many people here and I can up the speed and effort slightly... I'll post the downhill of this uphill later and next time I ride there, I'll walk out the steep technical side to ensure I can ride it..

The view from the top...My camera is toasting now and with only internal memory now, I can only get 3-5 pics :(

That's Lusaran BRGY below and I'm guessing I'm at 1K' ... The bridge gave me the clue I needed to figure out my location ... Its a small but winding road here ..
    100_0002.JPG 100_0003.JPG

The boundary marker I pasted on the way up ...
    Lusaran_Boundary.jpg
  2. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    This tower is known to me. Its the SmartBro cell and ISP tower... I'm just being a little dense ... I just usually enter to it by a different path ... The other entry is much more technical than this uphill I think but I'll have to verify this also ..

I found the steep path off the back side of the ridge. You can see it here... Not sure if I can go up this side... In the past, we always roll out down it and I've never climbed it before ..

The view from the bridge in the valley, looking back up at the tower on the ridge top.
    496_0015.JPG

The path down the opposite side I rode up in the video. Not sure I can ride up this side.
    496_0020.JPG

Your guess is a good as mine on this tree house.
    496_0022.JPG

My 08 TXC250 ... Its got the E10-sitting-too-long-in-the-gastank-blues and will need the CARB cleaned again. I'm hoping these time trials rides will help me get all my bikes back into the riding rotation.
    496_0029.JPG
    OlderHuskyRider likes this.
  3. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Couple more random pics of the area.
    496_0027.JPG
    OlderHuskyRider likes this.
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Looks climbable to me.
  5. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I'll roll down it today and see how it feels ... Then I'll try to go up it ....

This might be where the recluse clutch bike comes to the top ...

--
    I'm trying to keep all these different timed events equal, but what ever bike goes last is a little advantage as the rider keeps getting more and more looks at any trail I'm riding.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I have a 13 mile mile loop close to my house i sue for suspension testing. I have done some time trials there. The results are always interesting. I know the area well so learning the terrain does not play into it but warmed up and warn out does. It is interesting. Sometimes you feel faster and are not and vice versa. Hard to get real solid data on these types of testing.
  7. richard kersten Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 te 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    klx 250s vulcan 900 yamaha stryker
    Nice video thanks !
  8. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Ok and when in doubt, I take my 250cc 2t bike ... For this first uphill attempt on the west side, Lusaran side, the 08 WR250 is out there :). I've already rolled down the trail earlier today, so I know what is there already :) ...

I stunk up both the small stepups that were on the trail hidden in those trees towards the top. The second setup was at least technical and I stunk it up also in the second video. All that clear dirt at the bottom was not bad though it is a lot steeper than it looks ...

All the crap that happens at the first stepup, from the moment I killed the bike by accident ... Just saps me of energy. That stepup is bigger than it looks and that trail is a little steep also ..same as many ST trails ...

At the stepup, that line to my left is lots easier but has a few roots on it you can't see on film or I would have been over there ... I should have just cleared that big rock as the landing area on the top side looked safe enough and never had to park the bike and rest ... Clearing it is the plan again for the next time :)

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF6L8j4AdpI
  9. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    This is going over the top from the last sticking point ... Just a very steep climb followed by the cool 1.5' rock stepUp, leading into a sharp left-hander, stepUp over that big root. I stunk this move up also ...Keeping my front tire high on the right side just on or off the trail would have been fine IF I had fell on the high side against the rocks and not down back into the trail...

--
    I may just go straight after that initial 1.5' huge rock stepup and make that climb through the weeds instead of making the left hander when I fell over at ... It'll be easier for sure. But I have a better clue on this one now and next time should be better ...

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QDeEQqQQgI
    dave lindsey likes this.
  10. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Here's the view of going down (3:05 mark) that small ST from the top side ... Looks a lot simpler here, just a little steep ...

View: http://youtu.be/JGfPc9dP28w

Its been raining the last few days ... The uncovered part of the trail will get ~100% dry before the covered part gets half-way there ... So that part is gonna stay slick awhile ... I'll be taking the rekluse ride out early next week and see if I can get any traction with riding a bike with one of these devices ...
  11. JimO Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 TE 450, '08 TE 510, '10 TXC 450
    Nice trail riding RayRay looks fun. I'd love to ride Philippines some day...

JO
    ray_ray likes this.
  12. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Yes, that does look fun. And when you fall, looks nice and soft. Here, I have to worry about what is going to puncture me.
  13. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Pretty cool here with everything so wide-open and no one really looking for you ...Riding can be as easy or hard as you want it ... I'm pretty much a fast-trail rider here ... Maybe sort of a ridge-runner ... I just don't have the juice to pound ST like I was doing a couple yrs back. I'm trying to make a small comeback to some ST riding.

Nice or soft, I still fall too much for a guy who has ridden as much as I have ...

This place is alot more open than many places I rode back in the states due to no real trees in most areas ... I forget all about the trees and stuff until I watch videos from you guys on your riding areas ...
  14. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    No trees where II usually ride, just sand and very sharp rocks.
  15. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    We have lots of rocks here but most are embedded and really rounded on the edges ... Not sure why all the rocks pretty much have rounded edges ... There are roads here covered in rocks with these rounded corners, sticking up 2-3 inches, that are embedded in this road ...

When wet and riding your bike over them at speed > 35mph < 45 mph, and you can feel the bike floating\sliding around from side-to-side as I go down the road ... This is while holding the bike perfectly straight up as I'm hauling tail over them, no bar deflecting, just the bike moving around under me ...Almost like hydroplaning... I've always thought it was just the knobby front tire sliding around on the wet rounded edges of the rocks ... Could this be a suspension issue? This usually means its time to slow down for me. This place goes from heaven to hell quickly when that hard-packed clay gets 3 drops of rain on it.
    Tinken likes this.
  16. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Seems like a good place to test those new trials tires developed for mud.
  17. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Love your work Ray. Looks like great riding country.
  18. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    There has been a few AUST guys here who said they liked it also ...Planes trips over have been pretty reasonable last yr... Hate to admit it, but I'm getting a little excited about riding these bikes over these timed trails .. I'm in bed early each night :)

Don't think I've ever seen a true trials tire here.. Might be some over in Manila? ... Just don't have alot of tire choices here. One place finally started handling a 19" knobby for ~$80 ... Beats the ~$130 per tire that the others are here. And this allows me to leave my 18" tires (and rims) on the TXC and WR bikes.

--
    I've had a couple non-knobby tires (Kenda 270 dual sport and a Metzeler dual sport) here a few times in the past and in the wet rocks and just rocky stuff in general, that knobby gets left in the shade ...
  19. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    This first video is for reference to the second video for showing the difference in this small trail that is no longer my favorite ... I have a new favorite trail I'll post later :)

Here's a small example of how a trail \ road can change here ... More of a trail now that needs to be navigated instead of the clear path that could be just blasted up ... I'm thinking the locals will come back through and chop all the vegetation back ...

View: http://youtu.be/CiPtEzjS5Ww