My new GoPro

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by HuskyDude, Sep 27, 2010.

1. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Really didn't want to start a new thread just because I finally got a new camera.:excuseme: But I also didn't want to hijack anyone else's thread either.
    I had some reservations on the purchase but broke down in the end. Here's my thoughts on the GoPro wide.
    Pros:
    - You won't break the bank buying this little puppy.
    - The camera comes with a waterproof housing, and lots of mounting brackets, 2 helmets and 3 flats with 3M tape that sticks to almost anything. It even has a huge suction cup if you dare mount it on your vehicle.
    -For such a small camera (almost toy like) it does it's job well.:thumbsup:
    -I like the wide angle, It takes in a lot of the area you're riding and does not bounce around too bad like my other cameras or make you dizzy when watching it later.
    -For not being HD it takes a half decent video.
    -good color in the day, not so good in the shadows . Has many different functions and is fairly easy to use. It also can take a picture every 2-5 seconds. I like it.
    Cons.
    -You better buy lots of batteries (recommend lithium cuz alkaline won't cut it) Better yet, get some lithium rechargeables.:thumbsup:
    -The display screen is very small to read for us old timers.
    -The camera's red LED lights are all but useless on the trail. Better just to leave it on and do some editing at home.
    -Don't care for the sound quality.
    -It should have a nylon lanyard as a safety line in case the thing does get ripped off while riding.

Bottom line is, it's a very affordable video camera that will take in some of your good times out on the trail.

Here's a short rip from Sunday, would have been longer but I just had some used batteries in it and it died right away.:banghead:
    Great ride and I got the bruises to prove it.:D Had a couple of good get offs that I wish I had on video.

Oh ya it's on my Gasser...Sorry. :cheers:

XC300
  2. Dirty Bikes Husqvarna
    A Class

Tips

1) tape around housing and where you mount the camera to eliminate the noise.

2) Mount on helmet under visor. This will keep it from getting torn off.

3) Only ride Husky :)
  3. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    GGEC 250 Honda RC51 CBR 1000rr CR125
    Great stuff Dave :cheers:

I kinda like the low down vid angle :excuseme:

I'm going to have to try that

I bought the Energizer recharger and 4 Duracell NM/Hi 1000 A/Hr batteries

I also take a couple of 2 gig cards and two pairs of batteries for eg one pair will last the length of the card no problem...

word of advise....number the cards and number the batteries ...even a tick of liquid paper works well

that way when you change out the low batteries and full card....you wont bugger yourself up....and forget which card was full..or which set of batteries you just used up :banghead:

Ive done it a few times :p
  4. nocontrol Husqvarna
    B Class

Wait, you bought a go pro wide when you can get the HD now? Return it and get the HD.

MUCH better image quality, standard rechargeable lithium battery pack, and you can find em for $210-220 shipped new.
  5. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    I know about the HD model. I did not think it was worth double to money I paid and the video is certainly not double the quality.
    I'm happy with the wide for now.
    :cheers:
  6. nocontrol Husqvarna
    B Class

Well if you are happy with it, that's all that matters. Personally, I had a wide and sold it after using it a few times and had no replacement for it, I just thought it was terrible. The HD is MUCH better quality, but still not perfect.
  7. jckid Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Previsouly owned: SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250X, KLX351, CT110
    I've been thinking about getting one of these, but probably the HD version. Is there any kind of remote on the handlebars to turn it on, or do you have to reach up and turn it on? I am interested in the still pics option. Have you taken any pics? How well do they download, and do they print decent? Is is easy to switch between video and camera when riding?
  8. fitness2go Husqvarna
    AA Class

I love the HD model...it's awesome! There isn't a remote and the thing takes some really interesting and very good wide angle pics...not sure about print, but I would assume they would turn out nice up to a certain size. Everything is saved to a SD card as either a jpeg or mp4. It is easy to toggle from video to pics once you memorize the sequence and know what to look for on the little screen, but it takes a little time and patience. I can remember pulling out the HUGE set of instructions out on the trail...now that was funny looking.
  9. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Awe yes...those instructions in 5 languages....with the print so small I needed a set of cheaters...and a magnifier glass :busted:

The STD model is really good.....but after you convert it to the various formats for upload to hosting sites..it loses some of the picture quality..enough that you can tell the difference....

The HD model loses very little in terms of quality when you upload it....and it has really cool features
  10. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Is this model used for vids that viewers under 18 should avoid?:busted:
  11. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Did I miss something Norm...:excuseme:
  12. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes you missed it Dave

Norm is saying the STD model is nothing to CLAP about :busted:
  13. columbia510 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have one of the early Go-Pro cameras that worked for a few days. One ride after new lithium batteries and a fresh card, the camera turned off after 15 minutes and never came on again.
    I liked the set-up of the camera and the bookoo mounting options the camera has to offer, however I hated looking like a Telletubby in the shadows with the camera mounted to my dome.:doh:

I might sit back a little longer and wait to see if anybody has any problems with theirs, my riding friends don't call me the D-stroyer for nothing. If it could break, I will break it.
  14. cbienusa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    01 CR250,17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 YZ250
    I had mine for about 10 rides and broke the latch on top. Apparently it doesn't like bashing thru the trees. They want to hijack you for a new housing. They wanted 40 bucks I only paid a little over 100 for the camera. Other than that its a great piece for the money. Anybody with an extra housing let me know. Chris
  15. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP

Mine broke as well, I sent them an inquiry about replacing just the latch and they sent me a few new ones free of charge. Only one side of mine broke and I have been using it as is for 6 months or so.

Their customer service has been great.:thumbsup:

Later,
  16. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Did you deal direct with GoPro?
  17. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    Yep, filled out the form on their website.

Later,