1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st My throttle tube is misaliged after disassembly

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by PC., May 22, 2009.

1. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    I tore my bike down recently to clean, grease and install a sub-mount damper.

Upon reassembly I notice the throttle tube is now rotated about 30deg. forward from its original location. The 'Husqvarna' logo used to face straight up while the throttle was at rest, but now it faces towards the front of the bike with the throttle at rest :excuseme: The adjustment points at the housing and at the carb top dont offer enough slack to correct this.

Here's the things I did that would have an effect:
    -added damper sub-mount
    -disassembled throttle assembly
    -re-routed throttle cable from inside of cylinder mounts to outside (left) of the mounts.

The damper mount is the same height as the bar mounts/risers it's replacing.

The throttle assembly is old school and time tested. I've assembled these dozens of times.

The cable re-route moved the cable 3/4" at most and did not affect the tension on the line.

I've adjusted both adjustment points (at the housing and at the carb), but cannot get enough cable slack to let the throttle tube return to its original position. The throttle works fine..... opens 100% and returned to closed when released, but I really want to know why the tube is misaligned now. :banghead:

I lost about 1/2" of cable slack somewhere. Dont know where.

Any input?
  2. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    You should hear George complain about the throttle cables not having enough slack for adjustment. Maybe give him a call and ask what he would do. 1 714 540 2920
  3. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

is the cable still running behind the bars instead of in front like most bikes? Is it catching on the tank anywere? Are the bars positioned further forward? Something must be up. If it is like my 06 and 02 there is not much slack for any changes. I noticed the 08 CR125 has a much longer cable but am not sure about any others. If all else fails go to Bob Lamphers (?sp) and pick up a longer cable for something that uses a Mikuni. 01 or later CR250, YZ125, etc and see if it is longer. I replaced my cable when I swapped carbs so I could have some extra slack and run in in front of the bars (behind the headlight).
  4. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    The cable is running in front of the bars. It's not caught, binding or being interfered with by anything.

I did not remove the cable from the bike, so the only place the routing may have changed would be at the bars. BTW, there's a ton of slack in the cable sheathing. I can move the entire cable assembly 5-6" in either direction towards the carb or the bars.

It's almost like the steel cable shrunk inside the sheathing, but yet it seems to work fine. Of course, something changed cause the logo is 30deg. away from where it once was.

Why is it always the stupid, supposedly easy stuff that gets me?
    I've split cases with less issues than this.
  5. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Try routing the cable behind the bars? That's where it goes on my 125, and when I tried to route it in front of the bars I didn't like it and I put it back.
  6. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    That's it.:thumbsup:
    It runs between the bars and fuel tank.

[IMG]
  7. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    That's how all my modern 2 stroke Huskys have been. :oldman:
  8. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Thanks!

It's in front of the bars now. Works fine (just rode it), but its messing with my mind since I know the throttle tube isn't where it once was.

I'll re-route it and advise.

Thanks again!
  9. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Got a question P.C.
    My Son Evan had the throttle tube on him RM mis aligned and his grip that was glued on, was off. I took the throttle back apart and found that the plastic part that the cable lead end goes into was a two peice deal from the throttle tube that the grip goes on. He didn't tell me that you could pull the two apart and realign the tube with the grip versus the cable end section. Bet yours is a couple notches off?

Not sure if yours is the same set up?

Or if this is your problem?

Thanx!

Typpyt
  10. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    P.C.

Sell it and get a 2010 Wr300.

Quit putting all that fancy stuff on it and start riding it.

Just joking!

Typpyt
  11. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Thanks for the advice. :thumbsup:
    I'll have a look at it when I re-route the throttle cable.

No new bikes for me for a while (unless a smoking deal comes along, of course). The wife will castrate me!!!
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    You already have a kid, go for the new bike :D You really need a 125.
  13. WR BOB Husqvarna
    A Class

Hand Guards

Husky Dude what kind of hand guards are you using? Everything line up and mount properly?

WR BOB
  14. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    I forgot about this thread!

I have to laugh and post what the culprit was to this dilema.

Not being familiar with Mikuni carbs, I had no idea that the plastic keeper that goes into the throttle spring has a divit that must be aligned with the slide or it wont seat all the way. This causes 2 issues:
    -The throttle will be misaligned.
    -It will allow the throttle cable to let loose from the slide at the most inopportune time(can I get an 'Amen' NWetRider!?!?)

I love learning the hard way!
  15. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well,

At least you got to ride yours this year! I had mine out for a whopping two trail rides and no notta notta race! But I did stay in a Holiday inn last night! At least you didn't forget to take the paper towel out of the back of your carb before you reassembled it. I use bounty so that when it gets sucked through the motor and I crash, it is a quicker picker upper!

typpyt