N.Baja ride

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by robertaccio, Mar 22, 2009.

1. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Just got back from a legendary technical ride south of the border. Can't comment on the details.
    The morning loops were A (completed) and B with some road bailouts, and the post lunch/gas loops were also A(completed) and B, with the afternoon A loop very very tough going. That is nor to say that the morning A loop was not sick enough.
    My TXC450 worked great,,but I had a couple issues (1 real serious issue) to deal with. I use Maxima Cool Aide and she boiled that out, I added my camel back water to get me through before lunch , slow going and extremely technical,,but I always maintained forward motion (no real stuck and spinning on the side of hills) Also my tank has 50/50 race gas/premium pump to keep my burn nice and cool. At lunch I topped off the rad and catch tank with water only,,,,that lasted a while but burned out too and I filled the rads twice with stream water. What else,,,I lost the bar end bolt for my hand guard so I stuck a stick through it into the bar end (over and over again as they broke off) to hold it in place, this worked good.
    Knowing the terrain I chose the Pirelli scorpion pro FIM front (OEM tire) 12psi and I used the Michelin AC10 10psi with Michelin ultra HD tubes.
    Side note at the last H&H I burned a steam hole through my catch tank in one of the rock sections and had a new one on for this ride. The white plastic floating check valve in the catch tank cap is now completely melted into a ball of snot after this adventure, but the catch tank stayed together. I know that tires are very personal choice but the AC10 is the best rear I have ever used for everything especially the really ugly stuff ,that thing finds traction in an amazing manner. However as a result it does give up quite abit of rubber.
    I really can't convey the challenges of the this ride, because I love this kind of stuff and I always get through, it if not gracefully. I asked one the ISDE vet riders on the ride if he has seen anything as ugly in any of his ISDEs
    and the answer was a definite no. Not to say that doing 180 miles a day of hauling off road arse for 6 days is not tough. Just trying to give a picture of the technical aspect.

Again this is all about the Huskys great layout and engine, This bike just rocks it has consistantly raised the level of my game!! Did I mention the suspension The set up is enduro-plush exactly as I requested (LTR) for this type of riding and just kept me from getting tired while tackling all the obstacles and trail hack.
    we hit the usual western dry rocky stuff but also, we rode stream beds, mud holes, stream beds with huge rock piles (2 footers), water crossings, logs, under green oak trees, very steep black dirt trails, steep sharp rocky trails, steep sandy loose hills, step up and step down rock drops, super tight trails where you cant see the trail,,,it was an epic ride Bravo Husky!!

HEY LETS GET THIS O-TEMP THING DIALED ONCE AND FOR ALL,
    Last week and yesterday are really the first time this has happened to me,,,and it is under very extreme conditions I know. I was thinking to try the non-boiling stuff from ZipTY (Evans I think it is)
    my system is good and solid, 1.8bar cap, CV4 tubes, GFBN Tee, Hi pressure cross over, CRD braces, new catch tank need new fill cap!! enjoy the ride!! R

PS maybe add the fan??? just for this type of stuff...
  2. SanDHusky Husqvarna
    A Class

Sounds like it was epic. Big turnout Robert? Who were the special guests this time out?

Once again, I couldnt make it out. Last minute TC in Tecate, 10 patients etc. By the time I got home, I was worn out, stayed home.

My 510 came with Evans coolant (came that way when i bought it from my friend), stock cap. I ordered Ty's waterless for extra and its the same as Evans (Sais it on the label). I run slow sometimes on my private single track around my casa and no boilover.

Get the waterless and forget about the boilover blues.

Mitch.
  3. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Wow that sound like a very technical but fun ride.
    How many went? Is this an annual thing?
    I can't help but think running a fan would solve your problem.
    When riding the real Techy stuff with my 510 in does come on.
    Only to have others without, boil over.:D (Mostly KTMs)
  4. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    seemed like less than last year, I will call the Big B.N. to find out, this years thing was much more intense than last years. I guess some of the participants complained about it being too rough last year so the big BN and the #1 Bandito (tu primo) raised the level quite a bit
    Thanks, I am going to run the non-boiling stuff and try it,,,then I will consider a fan. Gotta flush all the mountain water out of the radiator!!!

I don't think one bike escaped some level of steam over, Yam,Hon,Kaw,Hus,KTM etc!!
  5. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    the Donny and Danny show were there as usual and just railing on RM250s as usual.
    For this ride I think a 300 2 stroke is a good choice.

[IMG]
    DannyL (US) RM250, this is a cool shot
  6. SanDHusky Husqvarna
    A Class

All good, my primo and the crazy gringo sure know how to make it ugly :thumbsup:

When I talked to Ty Racing, the guy said to try and get as much of the coolant/water out of your system, but if a little was left, it was no big deal, it would just burn off.

were planning a little ride for sometime in the next couple of weeks, start somewhere near your riding spot out east and end up at the bottom, close to i8 on the way down. there is a....way:applause:
  7. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ive been using Evans for awhile with good results, but really ya have to go with a fan if its that tight. Easy to mount with a manual switch, or use OEM parts to make it automatic-although its some work to set it up.

You can also consider:

1) the oversize radiators from GPX, good for an extra horsepower or two, and lots more fluid.

2) restricting the flow in the Y with a smaller hole. Talk to Rob Barnum or do a search for more info. Works wonders.

3) re gear it for lower speed stuff so ya dont have to use the clutch

Lets see some pics!

Ive got an 80 mile single track around HSV thats just magic. :thumbsup:
  8. SanDHusky Husqvarna
    A Class

Hey Mike,

I think Robert will concur but on this invite only benefit ride, riders are sworn to secrecy on some of the stuff that is used. No GPS allowed. This, more than anything...is because some of the trails that are made (just for this ride), are by permission on private property and they don't want people going back later and trying to find it, then ruin it for the following year when the ranchers get fed up with tons of riders going through and no more, "permiso". Arguably, there is trail that is used that is common to others who ride the area, but a good portion of it is not. Fences are put back up after, sweep riders pick up the ribbon kind of thing.

Sounds like we may have to do your 80 miler though one of these days, anyone else up for it? before it gets too hot in So. Cal/N. Baja.

Mitch.
  9. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    count me in Mike!!!

also thanks for the suggestions,
    I am going for the Evans (Zip-Ty) stuff that is for sure
    The fan, as you said just manual will be fine and that is on standby
    I am good with the oem gearing and love the second gear clutch slipping left hand auto clutch technique,,but you are spot on it does create alot of friction heat,,,,100% synth maxima holds up well under extreme temps and sheer forces.
    Pics are coming.
    My ride and biz partner had a weird failure (KTM450EXC), his left hand guard spun on the bar from a tip over and broke the banjo fitting off his juice clutch,,he took the road back from lunch, no clutch on that ride,,,wow tough going,,,he broke fairly close to lunch luckily, but still was led to short cut to lunch to avoid more tech trails. That's Baja,,,,weird stuff happens,,,and great stories always come out of it. Hey and as a side note, absolutley no issues with any criminal elements, it was a smooth trip from the moment we left til the moment we returned, we went through the Tecate crossing and came back the same way, with about 1/2 hour border wait started at the just over the crest of the hill.
  10. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    PPS: I am also going to drill my louvers for some straight in direct air flow,,,,I have done this on other bikes before.
  11. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    some photos

[IMG]
    Rob (US) TXC450

[IMG]
    Massimo(IT) 450EXC

[IMG]
    trail see ribbon ahead

[IMG]
    trail se gap and ribbon upper right

[IMG]
    steam crossing, with post crossing right up slippery rock step up(got a little hung up there)

[IMG]
    R long rock down hill, not too much room for error

[IMG]
    M stream cross

[IMG]
    R rock garden dry stream bed, made it with no stops, lots of step ups and big rocks, steamed at the end of the section

[IMG]
    motopat (US) KDX220
  12. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Gnarly trails and great pix. Nice to see the little green 2 stroke mixed in.:D
  13. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    That KDX rider is an old shool Husky guy,,he is the only person i know with a Husky gunsight tattoo!! That kdx bike was a good choice for this one. I think this ride had about 25% finish everything count. there were B loop split offs. the conditions were epic in that area and both A loops were tough but very satisfying. R
  14. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    @70 Riders at morning start, @12 A morn loop and A afternoon loop finishers.

Evans is in the mail. I will give it a go. plus the louver hole trick as well. No fan yet but the idea is on standby.
  15. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    [IMG]
    Cyril (FR) CRF250X

out in the open valleys
    [IMG]
    Rob (US) TXC450
  16. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    [IMG]
    rock garden dry stream bed continue, no steam yet.

[IMG]
    Cyril working through a rocky uphil section

[IMG]
    me getting out of sorts for the cam, nice trail

[IMG]
    Tommy (US) 300XC-We
  17. Wetdog Husqvarna
    AA Class

I've been working to much, it's been very rainy, there's snow at low elevation and it's pretty chilli in my neck of the woods but I gotta say it.................

I HATE THESE PICTURES

:banghead:
  18. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Think of it this way, when you get the good weather they will no longer be able to ride cause it will be too hot, or at least it will be hot enough they won't enjoy it as much.
  19. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    Its spring here, this will last a couple of months at best, then all those nice green colors you see will be sun burnt crispy ready to burn kindling, dust will become the normal breathing air, visibility will be sketchy if following too close. And for me dry sinus bloody nose season will kick in. We do have the good fortune of year round riding, this I know what ever the conditions.
  20. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Rob,
    Very cool trails and nice to be invited.:cheers:
    Norman