Need help to identify bogging issue

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by CrazyNuts, Jun 9, 2013.

1. CrazyNuts Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 510
    Hi All

I've posted this on ThumperTalk with little assistance so though I'd give Cafe Husky a go. I've heard this place is a better source for information.

Basically the issue is that when I accelerate beyond 1/4 throttle the bike bogs down and stutters like the timing is off or it's not getting fuel. A quick flick of the throttle from 0 to FULL ends with the bike almost stalling and then it backfires.

Now I've gone and checked all the simple stuff

- Wiring is not frayed, shorting or broken
    - Checked all fuses
    - Coil is operational
    - Spark Plug replaced
    - Spark Plug Lead replaced
    - Spark Plug Cap replaced
    - Fuel Pump priming and operating
    - Valve clearances checked and within specification
    - Battery is not faulty and fully charged
    - Fuel is clean/new

The only thing I can put it down to is either a faulty MAQS or possibly the fuel pump. Checked the fuel pump and it runs fine. There are no cracks or anything in the main delivery pipe especially on the barbed section of the pump.

I'm at a loss as to what else the issue could be.

Your suggestions/recommendations are welcome. Need to get this bike on the road ASAP as I use it for work.

Thanks in advance

CrazyNuts
  2. CrazyNuts Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 510
    Bit of an update.

Took the bike to a local mechanic and they hooked it up to the iBeat. There were a few error codes but didn't seem like they were recent. Error codes were cleared as well as the most recent recommended settings applied to the FI.

Bike still wouldn't run so decided to put the bike back on the trailer and bring it home. Just before taking it off the trailer, I decided to give it one last try and VOILÀ she fired up. Bit of a splatter here and there but she ran. Twist of the throttle and it started to clear up.

Took it back into the shed and stripped it down. Cleaned out ALL of the wiring points with contact cleaner and I also sanded the ground points to bare metal.

It's not running any better than before cleaning the wiring but at least I can almost ride it.

There is still some hesitation/bogging when I give it throttle but nowhere near the symptoms beforehand.

I'm starting to lean towards the stator now. Mechanics tested the spark plug and mentioned the spark was "weak".

Either way, I'll drop the oil and check out the stator as I've noticed it's a bit hard to start the bike using the starter motor but seems to fire up easier using the kick start.
  3. underwatersimon Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 Beta 350rr
    Mine was doing the same. After some trial and error dealer ended up just reinstalling the secondary TPS and it went back to normal.
    Sounds weird but it works now...Gremlins..

I think it was reading high voltage on the secondary when it was acting up.
  4. CrazyNuts Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 510
    Secondary TPS? Where is that located?

I'm still having issues as my bike revs quite high (around 2900rpm) after long stints of 50mph stretches of road.

At least I can ride but it's far from perfect.

Will see how I go once the iBeat cable comes in from SEMCO.

EDIT: I also bought a replacement Water Temp Sensor as I know that can cause issues. The odd thing is my fan never turns on.
  5. underwatersimon Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 Beta 350rr
    There are two throttle positions sensors on the throttle body, both attached with torx screws.
    I'd be cautious about messing with them as something tells me they may be position sensitive.

Read my "Te511 Fail" thread on the 4 stroke forum. What you innitialy described sounded very similar to what was happening to mine.

Also, if its not running properly I'd think twice about running it. Could be bad for the motor.
  6. CrazyNuts Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 510
    Thanks for the info

Does the TE511 and TE510 share the same throttle body and TPS?

EDIT: Just read your TE511 Fail thread unserwatersimon and that's EXACTLY what is happening to mine. I've had the FAIL come up on my screen since day 1 of purchase and was told it relates to the O2 sensor not being plugged in after they did the power up mod.

So I could have had a faulty TPS since day of purchase and not known. The bike has always run fine but never had another husky to compare it to. Now it seems it hasn't been fine at all.
  7. CrazyNuts Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 510
    OK...the ibeat cable arrived (thanks Scott).

Does anyone know what the following settings should be (or can point me towards the Workshop Manual)?

TPS Idle Adjustment (currently set to 968)
    CO Adjustment (currently No1 = 107%, No2 = 110%, No3 = 98%)

I'm not using the O2/Lambada sensor so the above two are the only adjustments I can make.

Would really appreciate if someone had the actual workshop manual that has all those details.
  8. CrazyNuts Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 510
    Well 7 months later and it's finally fixed. Ended up being a blocked injector (the little mesh filter was full of gunk). Quite surprised as the bike only has 1500 miles on it and the fuel filter looks clean.

Anyway, for those of you who even encounter the same issue, please look at the injector if all the simple stuff has been checked.
    OlderHuskyRider and ray_ray like this.
  9. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    I purchased a efi Husky ... Still have not got it but after reading all the horror stories on these type fuel systems ... It may be for sale on day 2 after I get it. I do not trade my USD for problems. Even Husky problems.
    --

Good to see you fixed the issue even if it took so long ...
  10. CrazyNuts Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 510
    To be honest ray_ray, the issue wasn't the bike. The issue is lack of information ABOUT the bike. No one (in Australia) has any in depth knowledge of these bikes, let alone in Perth where I live, which consists of only one dealership.

The bike is fantastic, and the EFI design isn't the issue. Mikuni EFI is being used on many motorbikes without issue. I just wish I had the information I needed to get to the bottom of this.

I'm no mechanic, but I managed to fix what NO ONE in Australia could point me to. There is one on the other side of the country but no way of me getting my bike there.

Whether it be an EFI Honda or Yamaha or even KTM, the outcome would be much the same. No one can diagnose SHIT these days unless they plug a computer in and it pinpoints the problem for them.

EDIT: The benefit of going through all of this on my own is that now I know the bike inside out and can pretty much fix any issue it throws at me. Sitting back and thinking about it, if I wasn't so naive in thinking the injector couldn't have been the issue, it would have been fixed months ago.
  11. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Yep on that benefit ... I've always done a very high degree of everything I've ever needed in life ...Bikes, cars, houses, $$, education... everything. It's worked out OK for me. I expect nothing from anyone but when I do need and get help, I'm appreciative for what I get.
    --

Really odd no one helped you much here ... I have CARB bikes so I never actually read a efi problem because I can't help anyone really.

--
    Glad you got that 510 running .. Maybe you can post a ride report some day on your area of riding...
  12. CrazyNuts Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 510
    CafeHusky member did attempt to help me, but I guess I covered everything they would have suggested. Only now do I see threads popping up about clogged injectors. EFI is pretty new to motorbikes and comparing that to carby bikes we have quite a bit of learning to do. All will come with time :)

Ride report? Yeah I'll see what I can come up with. Most of my riding is single trails in the bush. Not much scenery other than dust and prickly bushes. Maybe a Kangaroo here and there :)
  13. bigmo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449

Just FYI, there is a great guy that makes a killer filter for the 449/511.

http://www.profill-australia.com/e-store/HOME.html

I'm not associated with him whatsoever - other than being a customer. His product is far superior to the KTM OEM and it fits our tank perfectly. This is the "condom" style. I went through the same deal as you after a bad fill in VERY rural Arkansas and got a ton of sediment in my system and a clogged injector. This will make sure it never happens again. I have seen folks run inline filters as well (plain old gravity filters) but I figured there is a reason that many other OEMs use the condom style... Cheap solution that many of us may face when filling in rural areas.
  14. ManoCR Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 SMR 450