1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Need ohmeter readings.

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by justpinit, Apr 13, 2013.

1. justpinit Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    93 kx 125 with a kdx 200 engine.
    I have 2012 wr 300. When it gets to a certain temperature it shuts of as if i hit the kill switch. After about a min it starts again. It usually happens after wide open throttle, then when i slow down it dies. I suspect the ignition coil\cdi since it gets a fair amount of heat from being close to the cylinder head, and of course the higher demand of higher rpm's. I heated it up w a heat gun and a meter attached, and noticed a what i think is a significant change in resistance. I measure w the four pronged plug off from red to black input, and then from red to spark lead,and black to spark lead. I need cold readings and warm readings. Will post a video later of it happening if needed.
    broken biker likes this.
  2. Travis Thompson Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1991 wxe 260
    Other Motorcycles:
    1978 yamaha xs750 special
    i would also like to know about this cause the same thing happens to my 91 wxe 260...when it gets warm and i shut it off i have to heat up the cdi to get it to start again??
  3. justpinit Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    That is strange!! How do you heat it up?
  4. Travis Thompson Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1991 wxe 260
    Other Motorcycles:
    i actually had gotten stuck iin the woods and so i started to keep a lighter with me and just heat the cdi up for a couple of seconds and thats all it would take...Im not sure if its the same problem as yours but gets pretty annoying. If im at home ill just heat it up with heat gun. I wonder if i heated it up in oven for like 30 min if it would help or not. I might try it when i get mine back together. keep me posted if u find out anything
  5. Travis Thompson Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1991 wxe 260
    Other Motorcycles:
    if it does it again try heating up cdi after it dies for like 10 seconds and see if it fixes it so well know if its the same problem or not...HOPE we get this figured out
  6. justpinit Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    I've decided that it's the stator. When i ride tight trails and the engine gets hotter it shuts off, then i have to let it cool off for a few minutes. I'm wondering if the same happens to yours. While you're heating the cdi the engine is cooling and so is the stator. When you shut the engine off maybe the stator is heat soaking. What happens if you shut it off then wait 30 minutes or more. You need the same info i do, but for the stator. My cdi/coil never gets above ambient temperature, so I'm thinking the internal resistance doesn't change enough to cause problems. The stator side of the engine however deals w a bigger temperature change hence my change of mind. By the way this all started because i used a headlight with a broken bulb mount. The bulb came out, got smashed, and shorted the wires together which shut the bike off. No fault of Husqvarna
  7. Travis Thompson Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1991 wxe 260
    Other Motorcycles:
    I might have to check into that...that could have happened a long time ago or something similar...the wierd thing is if i shut it off and go to restart it right after and it wont start all i have to do is heat up cdi for couple seconds and starts right up...can the heating of the cdi help the stator?? im confused? keep me posted if u find a fix so i dont go buy a cdi and it not be the problem
  8. Fat Tire Flyer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Had samething happen to me while riding my Yamaha XT225 while riding single track and fire roads (yes I know it's a different bike).. Was riding and when you slow down to turn etc the bike would die.. Would re-start after few minutes and do it again.. I thought it was a carburetor problem.. Went home and cleaned carb.. Same thing.. Replaced carb with a newer one.. Luckily for me bought almost brand new one off ebay for $50.00.. Bike seemed good now..

Following weekend went to a Just For Fun Enduro at the Ganaraska Forest in Ontario Canada.. Was doing great for the first half of the enduro.. I was fifth or sixth in my class of 30 or more riders for the first half on my XT225 against KTMs and Huskys etc.. Second half problem came back.. Bike would die and wouldn't re-start for few minutes.. Would again die few moments later.. Battery died and got bump start from a couple riders.. Tried to finish the enduro without houring out..
    Yes it sounds like the stator.. When I got home re-placed the stator and problem fixed.. Again luckily for me bought used one off ebay for $10.00 to $15.00.. The following year sold it and bought a Suzuki DRZ250.. Which is now my dual sport bike.. In 2009 bought a used 2007 Husqvarna WR250 which is now my off road single track bike.. :thumbsup:
    Hope this info helps.. Good luck and cheers.. :)
  9. justpinit Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr 300
    Other Motorcycles:

Makes me feel better about buying a stator.
  10. Travis Thompson Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1991 wxe 260
    Other Motorcycles:
    the problem is you cant buy one for mine!!! when u get yours let me know if it works cause i will have to see about getting mine rewound or something. hope this is the problem because its easier to fix than to find a cdi
  11. justpinit Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr 300
    Other Motorcycles:
  12. justpinit Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ill have my new stator next week. Keep you fingers crossed!
    sabortooth likes this.
  13. Travis Thompson Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1991 wxe 260
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ok....the more I do things with mine it leans towards the Cdi...sometimes it won't start cold unless u heat it up
  14. justpinit Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Put the stator in on mon. The bike starts first kick every time now, could be a coincidence. Im riding sat and sun, ill let you know how it goes.
  15. Travis Thompson Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1991 wxe 260
    Other Motorcycles:
    ok...hopefully it works for you...i wish i knew someone around here that i could just switch cdi with to see if it fixes my problem
  16. justpinit Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Where do you live? I have an 07. Would that have the same ign ?? One thing about the old stator is that it was too weak to power a headlight. The bike wouldn't start.
  17. justpinit Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    07 wr 250 that is.
  18. Travis Thompson Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1991 wxe 260
    Other Motorcycles:
    im in north west arkansas.. No sure...i might have to switch the whole ignition and they said that would run 600$ dont know if i want to do that on an old bike.
  19. Travis Thompson Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1991 wxe 260
    Other Motorcycles:
    Im pretty sure it wouldnt fit it...the cdi and everything is different u have to switch it all over. i saw a brand new cdi on ebay a while back for 60$ but didnt have the money and know its gone. wish i had gotten it!
  20. Travis Thompson Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1991 wxe 260
    Other Motorcycles: