1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

New 08 TE 510 questions

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Jeff@TireBalls, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Jeff@TireBalls Husqvarna
    A Class

Hey gang, I just got a full sponsorship to ride a 2008 TE 510 for the 2009 KORHS and GNCC series.
    I'm new to Husky's so what are a few things that I need to do right away to the bike? I heard something about a mapping upgrade to the 2009 specs? How far under racing conditions can the bike make it on the stock tank? I run the vet A class if that helps.
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Welcome Jeff. you really should be on a TXC not a TE. WAY to much stuff to do to the TE to get it GNCC race ready IMHO. EFI remap, muffler, strip it, suspensions revavle etc. Still will not hit like a TXC or be as light and the forks are an inferior design to the TXC 50's. I would think a TXC250/450 would be the ticket, the 510 is a handful in the tight stuff.

Oh yeah, and you have to run tire balls in these or they flat :thumbsup:
  3. Jeff@TireBalls Husqvarna
    A Class

Well thats the bike that they have for me so thats what I have to take. Also it must be street legal since I will be running some enduro's and dualsport events.
    Another thing is I don't like a hit in 4-strokes, especially a big bore. :eek:
    I'm coming from a 525exc which suits my riding style perfectly.
  4. Chris M Husqvarna
    B Class

To make the TE a full on Race Bike I would do the following:
    TXC Top End
    Power-Up Kit
    Remove Smog
    IMS Tank (You may get 40 miles with stock tank running WFO)
    Revalve Forks
    Fork Release Valves
    Revise Sprocket Gearing
    Change out DOT Tires
    Steering Stabilizer
    Change Tailight Assy (Electrosport LED Stealth)
    Change Rear Flashers (Electrosport LED)
    Bark Busters
    Remove Horn Assy
    Uptite Bash Plate
    Uptite Pipe Guard
    Uptite "Y" Fitting
    Filter Skins
    BRP Chain Guard
  5. Joliet Husqvarna
    AA Class

That is a pretty good list, I would also add, strap or velcro the battery down and shim up the cross bar where the seat rests so it doesn't sit on the battery (unless they fixed that problem on the newer releases).

Don't go too fast in your races, you don't want it to look like you are cheating with the Husky:applause: . Ken
  6. Jeff@TireBalls Husqvarna
    A Class

What would be the advantage of a TXC top end and a power up kit?
  7. bpayne13 Husqvarna
    B Class

I can't vouch for the TXC top end, but the Power Up Kit worked wonders on my 2008 TE-510. Got rid of all the sputtering, stalling, surging, and backfiring while giving quite a bit more power everywhere. Plus it shaved around 8-10 lbs off the stock muffler. Great upgrade.
  8. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    I'm running a TE510 in the same events as you're going to race and there isn't that much difference in a TXC. They are basically the same motor, one carb and the other FI. With the "kit" on it and the smog stuff pulled, there's little difference and the FI should be better. I installed a POWER COMMANDER to get control of the fuel map and the "kit" comes with a nice tail light and allows you to drop a bunch of extra parts.

The forks are different, but workable, and the shock is pretty good. I switched to SHOWA forks from a CRF"X" and revalved the shock.

I also added the IMS tank from Hall's and a Rekluse Pro clutch. The tank is a must have, but the clutch........... ?

I also went to small LED turn signals that I remove for races, but that's just to keep the from getting damaged.

If you work for TIREBALLS you should be talking to Scott and see what he did with his 510. He should be able to set you up.
  9. Jeff@TireBalls Husqvarna
    A Class

I rarely ever see or talk to Scott.
  10. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Remove the factory throttle stop!:smirk:

Then install a quick turn throttle tube.
  11. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    To be fair I have not ridden the 510 in TE or TXC, but I have ridden the 250 and 450 in both versions all being 2008 models and the TE's had the power up kit.

The TXC in the bikes I have ridden is much better suited to aggressive riding/racing. More responsive, better power, lighter, better suspension etc.

I voted with my wallet for the TXC250, I couldn't be happier.

If someone wants to give me a bike to race; any bike, I won't complain. :D

Later,
  12. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Yes, I agree, this is a good mod for the TE.
  13. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250

OK, I agree with these guy that the TXC is a hands down better race bike out of the box, but I don't think there's enough differnce between the two to snivel about, once you add the power up kit and remove the junk. And if you want it street legal it's the easiest way to go. This is basically the same reasons I went with the TE myself. I wanted a street legal race bike. If you want to get even closer to full race, you can get the race wiring harness and get even closer to a TXC.

But, my point is, there are very few difference in the bikes, same cams, gears, compression and the TE with the FI is a little smoother. The TXC "hit" seems to be mainly due to it being carb'ed and the FI is a little smoother.

In other words, I think if you can win a race on a TXC you can win it on a TE.

We aren't far from each other, maybe we can hook up at Royal farms or something and do some testing.
  14. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    I wonder if a Trials tire would help???:D
  15. surfer1100 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR250, Memories of past tiddlers.
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM-01 EN 125, 03 125 MX, 09 EN 155
    I was under the impression that the TXC came with the TC cams, thus giving it more "hit".
  16. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    There is only one part number for the cams, so all 510's and 450's use the same cams.
  17. Jeff@TireBalls Husqvarna
    A Class

What is Royal farms?
  18. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    It's around Millerstown, Kentucky, where they had the OMA / KORHS race back in the spring. It would be about half way between us and a pretty neat place to ride.
  19. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    I don't think there are any TXC's around. Some dealers didn't even get them because they were too late in the season.

Might be the same this year. The dealers need the TXC's in Sept.
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Yeah, the TE is competent for sure. I was not saying that it was not. Just saying the TXC was purpose made for that type of racing and the TE was not. The frame geometry is different, the forks, the motor etc and it just starts out as the better setup for race bike. No reason why the TE can't be a great race bike as well just takes more work to get it there.

Good luck :thumbsup: