1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc new 2 stroke husky's have cable clutches?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by jutny, Jun 16, 2010.

1. jutny Husqvarna
    A Class

I always thought KTM/Husky stayed with the magura hydro clutch. I've been considering a new/newish WR250 (maybe 300) and was looking at auction pictures online when i noticed a cable clutch lever.

as far as i'm concerned that's a huge minus for these bikes.

Also, whats the deal with the 125 being a left side drive and the 250/300 are right side drive. Is it just becuase the 250 motor is based on an older design when most of the euro bikes were right drive?

is the wr125 a hydro clutch?

are there ways to convert a wr250 to a hydro clutch?
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    all husky 2st are cable. Work great and much more reliable. I prefer it. Read about the clutch slave issues and be happy you have a cable. Work great, super simple... whats the issue. :excuseme:
  3. Poopy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165
    If you need a hydro clutch on a wr125 you might need to do some finger exercises. :lol: The pull is extremely light.
  4. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

theres no such thing as a newish 250/300.

same frame and engine since 96!
  5. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

i like mine........
  6. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Not true, the first year of the new engine was 1998. :busted:
  7. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

my bad sorry. :D
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    and frame geometry has changed some. I find the 09 and up turn better.
  9. BadMotoWeazal Husqvarna
    Pro Class

As much as I clutched my 2 smokes, the hydro needed many an oil change as it got hot & nasty. Cables are easy to adjust & if cleaned & lubed properly no problems with the pull. Man up or buy a 4 banger;)
  10. tommytwostroke Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR125, 2017 TX300
    Yes, you can convert. but why? Less exspensive to repair a cable assembly! They make some sweet finger pulling units!:cheers:
  11. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    As much trouble as I have with my 510 clutch I'm glad my WR has a cable.

I put a "Jack" system on my Honda for a while and it was a pain, too.

Just give me a cable, thank you very much.
  12. jutny Husqvarna
    A Class

fair enough, i just find myself loving the maguras on my SMr510 and my KTM 250 MXC (2000). My triumph has a cable clutch and it feels meh to me... not too hard, my hands are strong enough to one-finger that cable clutch.

its just a matter of feel. I'll ride one before i make a decision based on the clutch. glad to get the replies. I figured it was mostly a matter of reliability, but they both sure do suck when they fail far from home/truck.

thanks for the replies everyone. I'm also looking at a Maico 300, but availability of those is questionable as there is still no US distributor, might be able to buy one in Canada though.

i've also never ridden a "nice" aftermarket cable clutch lever, the one on the triumph does feel cheap and i would upgrade it in a heartbeat.
  13. Kevin_TE250 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Having the cable also makes it easy to run a LHRB and keep your clutch.. having your cake and eating it too.
  14. jutny Husqvarna
    A Class

interesting point, i've never had a lhrb but always thought it would be nice to have.
  15. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    A nice Works Connection perch / lever set up will do wonders. The stock unit is a little funky, too.
  16. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    what attracted me to my Wr300 from my KTM was the simplicity of it. The more fancy stuff they add like push button starts and hydro clutchs and FI the more that can go wrong. frankly I thought I would miss my hydraulic clutch on my KTM but the husky so outshines my KTM is so many areas by so much I never think about it.
  17. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    I'm not against hydro clutches ... if they work they work ... U'll probably have more maintenance with them 4 sure ...

The cable clutch on my 02 CR250 never went bad ... If fact, it went years and never even needed adjustng ... It just sat on the bars and worked year after year .... I'm not sure what plates were n it, but it gave zero issues ... Be happy if you get one ...
  18. 2stroked Husqvarna
    A Class

Cable please, I've ridden with guys that the hydro clutch failed, pain in the ass, you need a rebuild kit or a new cable.
    Mine works great and it is an easier pull than some of the hydro ones
  19. kzoo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 295
    I had a Husaberg for 5 years that was equipped w/ a hydro-clutch; not that big 'o deal IMO. Don't notice any appreciable difference between the hydro and the cable.
  20. ARod2000 Husqvarna
    AA Class

What kind of clutch did Ricky Carmichael use for all of his championships? Surely someone else, maybe Bubba or McGrath, would have put in a hydro clutch if it was much of an advantage. It's not. It's wankerville. a.k.a. pure KTM marketing. Sure there are some nice advantages to it (I've had two), but it's not a must have.