1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc New 2012 WR300

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Rik Lipscomb, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Rik Lipscomb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 250 XC 2008, 990 Adventure 2011
    I disavowed my KTM loyalty and sprung for a '12 WR300. Almost acquired a new 11 model but shipping got the price too close to the 12. Haven't had time to do the set-up on it yet since I wasn't too eager to let the inexperience dealer that sold it to me do it after they tried to tell me it had fuel injection and did not know what "setting the sag" meant nor how to do it. When they told me they were out of fuel to which I felt compelled to explain it had to have mixed gas (lol), my concern was high enough I loaded it myself and left. Pretty sure there is not a drop of fluid in it yet. One of the newbie service guys even called me the day after in a panic that I had already been riding it to say they hadn't added coolant. It was comical.

Anyway, as I'm out on a dealerless Husky island pretty much, I have a few questions:

Is the thumb drive that came with it supposed to have data on it or is it supposed to be downloaded to it from the website. I plugged that thing in my computer and followed the instructions loaded in it which left it with no data at all.

The new 2011 I was considering came with a light kit and trip meter/odometer (whatever) but the dealer selling the '12 called the rep and says he was told the 12 does not come with that equipment. ??? Only thing I received with it was the jetting kit and thumb drive plus a totally useless owners manual (if you want to call it that). Was the 12 de-contented or do I need to visit "my dealer" again?

Thanks
  2. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Congrats on your Husky Rik. I can't answer your questions about the light kit and other things but welcome and hope you do a full ride report when you get things worked out. Enjoy. BTW where are you located?
  3. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Congrats on your new 300. I sort of smiled when I read your post, because it sort of reminded me of my buying experience. I like the folks at my local dealership, but they seem to know little about 2 stroke dirt bikes. My 300 and an 06 CR125 are the only two 2 stroke machines that I have ever seen on the floor there in the last 5 years. My bike rolled off the floor with an empty gas tank (well, maybe there as a teeny bit in there...but I couldn't tell), a bent top on the spark plug and all the wrong jetting and slide in the carb. I got it running the next day, but I could tell it wasn't jetted to run properly or safely. At least it had transmission oil and coolant. It took a little over a week to get the proper carb parts shipped and installed, before I could take the bike out for a proper break-in whirl.:rolleyes:

And the 2012 model doesn't come with the light kit and meter. The Ducati ignition doesn't run the lights properly (is what I heard), and the meter is supposedly junk, so I didn't bother to install that stuff on my 2011.
  4. justpinit Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    93 kx 125 with a kdx 200 engine.
    My 2012 wr 300 came w a headlight,speedometer/odometer,and led brake light. I had it tagged the same week i bought it too.BUT, and this is a big one! The jetting was way lean and the top end had an epic meltdown chernobyl style... The dealer warrantied it no questions asked and i was on my way. Got free rad cages too.I rejetted and am riding the crap outta the it everyother day after work and the weekends of course. 011.JPG 009.JPG
  5. justpinit Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    I have the manual i can try to send it to your email if you want it.
  6. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr144 with lectron carb, stuff!
    Congrats! I recently bought a "new" 2010 wr144 and the thumb drive was blank also,my owner's manual is pretty useless as well! I went to the husqvarna canada website and down-loaded the "proper " user manual and it contains enough info to get you by. Everyone on this forum is helpful and I am sure that some-one will be able to answer any questions you have!:cheers:
  7. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    My dealer apparently got a bulletin that said "do not release the bike to the customer" on Tuesday morning, but I had taken the bike home on Saturday afternoon. There was a short and nerve frazzling ride on Sunday (fraught with many cooldown pauses). The thing that irritates me is why the correct jetting/slide kit wasn't sent to the dealer with the bike. An oversight??? I wonder how many people blew up their 300s because of this.

And blah, there wasn't anything useful on the thumbdrive that came with my bike either.
  8. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

What jetting was in it that it Seized?
  9. justpinit Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    140 main, GAY neddle in center clip slot,and im at sea level.Whether was in the low 40s.
    marcmo0 likes this.
  10. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    140 main? What kind of carburetor do you have on it? I am presently running a 420 main, GAY needle, center position clip, 80 starter jet, 45 pilot and a #4 slide. That's the stuff they sent to replace all the wrong stuff in my Mikuni.
  11. wait4me Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    85 YZ490 "Ol Bessy"

This piston on my 11 wr300 looked just like that the second day I rode it.
  12. Rik Lipscomb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 250 XC 2008, 990 Adventure 2011
    Thanks for the replies. Justpinit, i appreciate the offer but have downloaded it already. What good is that thumb drive though? Oh well
  13. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Exactly! What the heck is that? A PwK maybe? but even that takes a 170-180 main?

What is a GAY needle? I'm afraid to ask.

Boy, they used to come with a 400 in the old TMX which was too rich.

If you did like your name and "just pinned it"...it would not last 30 seconds with a 140 main!
  14. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    :lol:
    Don't ask, don't tell....but seriously, that's what letters are stamped on the needle.
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Toss a 180 in it before you ride it.
  16. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    For the guys that mentioned that they melted down their topends on their new bikes, I was just wondering if you noticed anything weird or wrong with the way the bike ran. I mention this because when I rode my new 300 for the first time, it felt terribly underpowered all the way through the range and pinged quite noticeably. I rode it for a short time and then gingerly nursed it back to the staging area without seizing it, and shut it off for good, till I got the jets and slide for it. When the carb stuff was installed, I made sure that the intake boot to the engine was sealed with RTV also, then reset the float level.
  17. wait4me Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    85 YZ490 "Ol Bessy"

Well, here is my experience. Mine was jetted just like yours. I did the break in the manual states, and the first time I leaned on it for awhile it seized. On a motocross track or riding singletrack it would probably be fine. I was riding a fairly fast sand wash, probably around 1/3-1/2 throttle in fifth gear when it seized. After that I put the needle full rich and the bike survived the same trail. I have since been doing A LOT of testing with James at JD Jetting and have come up with a super set up. But there is not much left of the original carb. He sent me his PWK to try and I like the Mikuni better the way it is now. I really can't say what all the parts are because some of them are his parts and I don't know what they came off of. But I have a different, slide, needle, needle jet, pilot jet and main jet then stock. I am now running a 390 main, and 32.5 pilot but with a richer needle and needle jet. I am hoping he now comes out with a kit for the 09 and newer 250 and 300's. I am running pump gas and 40-1 premix.
    I am going to be riding in the desert in the area between Blythe and Parker next weekend and would love to get other 250 or 300 owners to try my set up and tell me your opinion so I can pass it along to JD Jetting.

ps I also found in a workshop manual I downloaded to put the clip at position #4 for racing motocross and position #5 for deep sand. After the dealer fixed the bike under warranty they left it at the same settings that it seized on knowing I ride desert. Just my opinion, but that was stupid.
  18. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Was it? Because mine originally had a 380 main, #5 slide, 17.5 pilot, 50 starter jet and a YC needle. So far off, I would have never dared to open the throttle up.

With all the new parts I put in, it runs pretty nicely all over, except for being a tiny bit too rich off the very bottom. I might put the 40 pilot jet in, in place of the 45 to help with that.
  19. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    My Mikuni came with a 440 main, are you sure the 1 is not a crooked stamped 4?
  20. wait4me Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    85 YZ490 "Ol Bessy"
    Mine came with the hopped up jetting. #4 slide, 45 pilot, gay needle @#3 and a 420 main. I don't remember the starter jet.