New 300 start & idle

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Rik Lipscomb, May 14, 2012.

1. Rik Lipscomb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 250 XC 2008, 990 Adventure 2011
    Finally got an opportunity yesterday to kick off my new 12 300 thats been collecting dust for a month. After a lot of kicking, it would not fire until i finally twisted in a 1/4 throttle then after warming up and riding up and down the street a few times, it still would not idle. It is all stock and I do not know how the carb was set up from the factory. It seemed to run okay the little bit I rode it but, for now, where should I start on adjustments to address the difficult start and no idle problem?

Thanks
  2. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I don't know if any of the 2012 models had this problem, but my 2011 came with all wrong jetting (all way too lean), needle and slide. Husqvarna had to send out a box with the correct starter jet, pilot jets, needles, slide and main jets in it. From there, I had to get the carb set up nicely. Float level was too high, the recommended pilot jet, a #45 was a bit too rich, so now I have a #40 in it (and may go smaller), and set the air screw at 1 3/4 turns out. My bike didn't want to idle at first either, but the more I played with the jetting and float level, the easier it was to for the bike to want to idle. It runs good now on the 420 main jet, #5 slide, GAY needle middle clip position, #80 starter jet....just a tad rich right off the bottom, but I am using Motorex at 60 to 1. Lots of jetting information here:
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/250-300-360-jetting-database.8881/