1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st New CR125 or WR250 for a novice woods rider?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Boosted Josh, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Boosted Josh Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 CR125, '14 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW S1000RR
    Could use a little help here. I've been wanting to get back into riding dirt and I thought I was going to buy a used KTM 200xcw sometime in the next 6 months.

Long story short my local dealer has a few 2 stroke Huskys at "good by Italy, hello Austria" closeout pricing.

I'm 6'3" 200lbs and have been riding since 1990 but mostly street and trackdays with only a little dirt experience. I had a Yamaha wr250f for a couple years and rode a little dirt as a kid but I'm still very much a novice.

The price difference is only about $400 with the 250 being more.

I'm only going to ride trails so the small tank and 19" rear wheel, and stiff(er) suspension of the CR is a disadvantage. The light weight/feel, the included 144cc kit, and $400 savings are a pretty big advantage.

The WR250 I'm afraid may be more than I can comfortably handle and I don't want to not be able to ride it aggressively. I test rode a kx250 that was converted to a woods bike and it was more than I wanted. The upside is that it's better suited for woods with the 18" rear, suspension, bigger tank, and it's only $400 more.

(If a WR125 was available it would be my top choice.)

What would you do? I put a deposit down and need to make up my mind by tomorrow.
  2. Steve Kanya Husqvarna
    AA Class

Get the 250, have WER set up suspension, proper clutch cable or better yet a Rekluse clutch, TM chain guide, a Dunlop trials tire, M59 front tire, JD jet kit, and thank me later. Best bang for the buck ever.
    Johnny105 likes this.
  3. Jhunter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yep, couldn't agree more with Steve. The WR250 is magic. Nice smooth power with plenty of zip on top but you can still lug the bike in the low rpm's. A little suspension work can be done when you get a little better in the woods and you know what you want and need. The Bridgestone M59 on the front is awesome and I run a Pirelli MT43 trials tire on the rear. I have guys with new $10,000 Beta's, GasGas and KTM's that all want to ride my '08 WR250 when we get together...Go figure :excuseme:
    Steve Kanya likes this.
  4. Chums Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I'd like to discontinue my account
    I have a WR300 and started my off road career on that after a 13 year non riding period. I found the more powerful bike to be easier to ride because you can actually have less skill and rely on the power to get you out of trouble when you may not have the skill to navigate a less powerful bike through the same thing.

With that being said I have a CR165 as well and would not want anything less than that if you plan to race competitively, there are only a few people I know capable of racing a 125/144 who can be super competitive in off road riding, if your not planning on racing then the small tank/ rear tire should not even be a concern but for $250ish you got am IMS tank and for $375ish you have a warp9 18"rear with everything on it. You are correct in that ultimately you will spend more on the 125 to get it to do the same types of races the 250 can do. You cant go wrong with either but I road a buddies KX250 and hated it compared to my 300. Unless your buddy has done a bunch of work to smooth out the power on that 250 your comparing a motocross bike to a woods bike and by all right the WR250 should be smoother out of the box than the KX250.

I wont sell you on either but if you just want to trail ride the 125 will be fun and light and the tank will probably last you 45min to an hour of easy trail riding in stock trim and your probably not going to be bashing into and through junk to worry about the rear tire.

If you have a glimmer of racing in the future look hard at the 250 because your skill level and need for speed will likely grow with experience and it wont take a ton of money to get it in a race. If you have money laying around then look at the 125 again but with a 165 kit, large tank, rear tire, and any bike I buy the FIRST mod it gets is a lectron carb!

Since your 6'3 your built for either bike but the 125 will be a lot smaller than the 250, like shorter more compact where the 250 will be similar in size to the KX250.
    Just my 2 cents for what it's worth....
  5. GhostRider32 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 KX250
    At your size, the wr250 will probably be a better bike. I realize that you don't have a lot of dirt time but based on your listed bikes, you are not an amateur by any means. I've not ridden the cr125 but it will be more explosive like the KX250, just not as powerful. The wr250 will be a much better trail bike and meets your mission much better.

Basically what your options are is this: take a race bike and try to make it a trail bike or take a well loved trail bike to begin with. Your choice but if I were you, I'd start with the trail bike.
  6. Phaeton Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 wr 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2011 GASGAS EC 300 2007 KTM 200 XC
    WR 250 as stated above. You can lug lug lug or rip rip rip.
  7. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP

The updated frame and ergos rule compared to the 250/300. Learning how to ride a 125 well will make you a much better rider.

Later,
  8. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Suzuki SV1000/73 Honda CB350
    Dont get me wrong, the 125 is alot of fun. A good friend of mine has a 144 all dialed in and its so fun. But when I ride it I keep waiting for that power curve to kick in like my 300 and it never does. Size wise, the 125 is nice and thin but its still tall for a 125.
    A sorted out suspension on the 250 will be so rewarding to you, believe me.
    I have to disagree with the 125 making you better. It will allow you to make more mistakes, if thats what jmetteer was trying to imply.
  9. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    TE310.
    LandofMotards likes this.
  10. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    125 vs 250 has been a discussion here in the past

my take is a 125 is easier to learn on due to engine capacity, but a CR has a tendency to detract as it is a higher RPM to make more power model
    that said a 250WR will tend to make more power at the bottom and the ignition settings keep it there
    so the question is you and your skill, a 125 is easier to throw around a trail because the engine (gyroscopic effect) is not very large so it does not hinder the "flicking" fun of a smaller cc engine bike
    the 250WR is timed to be a lower RPM engine although it is larger (gyroscopic effect) if kept at it's low RPM's will be a reasonably easier to ride in the tight terrain bike due to the forgiveness of the power band or in this case lack of, you will find it to be easier to throw around than a wound up 125, that said a 144 kit will help with the power delivery but still a higher RPM engine
    the suspension can be reset for your weight and skills, now the 19" wheel will always be a burden for choices of "trail" type tires
    I took a little time off from riding myself and my brother loaned me his Husky CR500 for my first stint back and it was a handful, he said lug it but it was still too much so we swapped and I rode his 430 and bought one of those within a year I bought his 500 and can say that I rode it without regret after less than a year, that said
    my recommendation is to get the 250 and watch your throttle for a few weeks till you are comfortable and you will be pleased, also down the road they offer a 300 kit that is magical on these
    K5PL5 likes this.
  11. Drtrider82 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 CR125 with WB165; 13 TC250
    I raced a wr250 for 5 years and liked it a lot. That being said, it's my opinion that the handling of the newer frame geometry and light weight and suspension of the 125 is far superior. I never thought I would be sold on a small bore, but they rock. I'm 6'4 and 270 pounds and I can race and be just a competative on the 165 as I was on the 250 and be much less tired. I would say go for the 125, if you are worried that the power is too peaky, gear it correctly and put a Flywheel weight on it. The husky 125's are suprisingly trackable at lower engine speed.
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I am 205, and raced my 165 husky to 2nd place out of 40 some in my class at this years Idaho City ISDE Qualifier. This was in 4000-8400 feet elevation and up huge hills against all class of bikes. There was another guy there close to my minute on a CR125 and he was ripping it up too. We diced it up some but he was a little faster then me. Point is I do not feel at a deficit when riding the 125 class bike. This is a grueling race. Buddy Jake also put his CR125 husky to 1st in his class. He was though really a class lower then he should have been to race with me. He was coming back from a huge injury and not really supposed to be racing and I was also dealing with a bad elbow tendon so we were just going to have some fun. Ended up dominating our classes for the most part. I;m not bragging just saying the 125/144/165 can be a foamable weapon and great trail bike just the same. It is a different thing and not for everyone. Some people love gobs of torque and for them they struggle. Those that get it LOVE them and find them not limiting at all. I agree with Drtrider82 "the handling of the newer frame geometry and light weight and suspension of the 125 is far superior"

you really can go wrong with ether bike. You have to decide what you want from a bike. The 125 class bike is super fun, light and handles like nothing else. The 250 has a great flexible motor and is a good racer and good sit down trail bike as well.
  13. mkfox Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2002 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 Greeves Griffon
    250 for me. Mine is plated so the 125 would be out of the question. Me personally, when I am on the trail, I have no interest in riding like it's a National Enduro. I like a more leisurely pace to just enjoy the ride and the scenery. My 250 is much more forgiving and easier to ride with it's much broader power range. I've never ridden a Husky 125, but the Japs I have required way too much right hand input for me.
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

My 09 WR144 is plated. They are both 2 strokes so both would have to pass the same inspection / state laws.

this is a huge misnomer, I ride my 125/165 off the pipe 75% of the time. It is EZ to trail ride on in fact excels at it. You really have to spend a day on one to understand.
    jmetteer likes this.
  15. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    the difference is the 125 he is considering is a CR, the discussion was 250 WR vs 125 CR
    I separated the cc and designation on purpose
    this has been a great thread and I still like 125's but a CR?
  16. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    Everyone is just going to tell you to get whichever of the two they happen to own. If you think that you'd want a WR125, just get the CR125 and make the necessary changes. IMO the CR and WR aren't that different, I wouldn't let the letters on the plastics dictate your decision.

It's not really a matter of a "better" bike, it's a matter of which is better suited to what you want to do. The CR would definitely need the suspension dialed in for you, but the 250 could benefit from a revalve as well. Frankly, not many of us are at a riding skill level where we can use any more than like 20 horsepower in the woods, so anyone who thinks they need the big bike is kidding themselves. However, the differences in power delivery definitely suit different riding styles.
    2premo and Motosportz like this.
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I have owned several of each.

exactly
  18. mkfox Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2002 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 Greeves Griffon
    I know any 2 stroke can be plated. I have only spent time on stock Jap 125 mx'ers. The way they were geared would not be pleasant for extended stretches of gravel road sections at 55-60 mph for me. But then again I did not even consider mine is the older WR gearbox. I would love to spend a day on a Wally Bike 165, but I have never even seen a Husky 125 in these parts let alone a 165. I just prefer the 250 motor because I am a sit down trail rider as you mentioned before who likes to lug a motor more and the 125's i've rode just didn't cut it. Would like to know how the 165 would handle deep Northern Michigan sand though.
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    the euro guys love the 125's in the sand as thats where you can keep them pinned and the light bikes floats. Check some euro race vids. Like i said both good bikes and I would not overlook the 125 as a foofoo bike.
  20. woodsrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    '18 Alta MXR
    If you want to see people who don't know what the hell they are talking about make faces when you tell them you ride a 125 and love it, get the 125.
    If you want to have to constantly deal with people telling you that you NEED a bigger bike, get the 125.
    If you want to be amazed at how light your bike is, especially while picking it up on the trail, get the 125.
    If you want to feel like you're using your bikes full potential powerwise, vs fearing the throttle and "lugging it a gear high" so you stay in control, get the 125.
    If you want to literally laugh in your helmet while zipping down the trail, get the 125.

And having owned a number of dirt bikes, but being basically a slow out of shape trail rider, I would say:

250 advantages:
    • Broader power band then the 125. I think this makes it easier to ride then the 125 for beginners.
    • More torque down low. I think this makes it easier to ride then the 125 for beginners.
    • Its set up for trail riding from the get go.
    250 disadvantages:
    • Would feel "less" light and flickable on the trail.
    • Power "might" be a handful from time to time, at least until you get used to it.
    • Everyone has one. You wouldn't get the satisfaction of constantly proving people wrong about 125's.
    • It's not a 125, so you can't "unleash the angry bees" and furiously rev the crap out of your 125 and rip down the trail with a mad grin on your face.
    Seriously though, as mentioned, you really can't go wrong with either bike. If it was me, I'd lean towards the 250 just because its a bit more setup as a trail bike, and I think the extra torque down low comes in handy for beginners.

On the other hand, I do think everyone should own a 125 at some point, it really can help you learn a lot about what a dirt bike can do. I think those lessons can then be applied to any dirt bike you happen to be riding. Plus they are just so much dang fun.