New helmet cam.....

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by Stroker Ace, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Stroker Ace Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi friends: I thought I would share my first little test run with the new camera..... After a lot of research I decided on the Tachyon XC micro.

http://www.tachyoninc.com/

I love the picture but not the sound so much. I guess wind noise will always bug me. I'll probably add music to the clips anyway. But for the price this is a neat set up..... Just a little run by where I live.... enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2FEnlkwa8E
  2. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

On my vHoldr I put a piece of electrical tape over the mic hole and it pretty much eliminated the wind noise (and cursing!) and still allowed you to hear the motor. If you look close at my avatar picture you can see it on the side of my helmet.
  3. hamiltonuh60 Husqvarna
    A Class

Thats a cool looking camera. I hear very little about Tachyon, but I think they are starting to get more popular. Video quality is great and I hope to see some clips in the future!
  4. Stroker Ace Husqvarna
    AA Class

That's a good idea but the mic. in this one is in the back behind the waterproof door. I thought that would cut the wind and give me more "engine" but it didn't. I'll try some things over time. I like your idea though. The VHoldr is a nice unit too.
  5. Stroker Ace Husqvarna
    AA Class

Oh yes..... there will be more clips... There's always the continuing adventures of "Lonerider".....

Thanks for the input, this camera is pretty cool a very simple to operate.
  6. Flying Trash Can Sustaining Member

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1100R
    Jack Rabbit Trail?
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    quality and angle look good. :thumbsup:
  8. Stroker Ace Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks... It took some work, but I mounted it under the "Bill" of my helmet.....
  9. Stroker Ace Husqvarna
    AA Class

Reche Canyon.... Bad place to ride, only go through there to try something once in awhile....
  10. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    This devices looks ands sounds sweet and that video looks good also ...

Are you using rechargeable batteries? The line below came off their web site..
    The use of rechargeable batteries is highly discouraged and can cause loss of footage and/or damage to the cameras.

Why shouldn’t I use rechargeable batteries in my Tachyon helmet camera?
    Our shock-proof battery cartridge was designed to hold regular-size batteries. Rechargeable batteries are slightly larger and if forced into the cartridge may cause the cartridge to expand and become stuck inside your camera.
    Rechargeable batteries also put out different voltage from normal batteries and may damage your camera.

Digital cameras are a battery hog ... Mine won't even turn on with most regular batteries ... Is this cam a battery hog with regular batteries?

Why is the sound not very good on my recordings?
    If you are in a safe and clean environment, you might want to consider leaving the back of your camera open so that you can grab more sound. But be warned; this will allow water and dirt to get inside your camera. Do not do this if you have any doubts.
  11. Stroker Ace Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yeah, I'm using the ultra lithium they recomend, I got the kit that came with camera (batteries and memory card)... I tried it with the dorr opened and it normal conversation great ! But the engine and wind noise were way OVER modulated. I think there's editing programs that can manipulate the sound too. Going on a ride tomorrow, we'll see what happens.
  12. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    How does this camera work for stand-alone pics? My digital camera has about had all the trails it can stand and I am hoping this device can take quality JPG pics also ...
  13. Stroker Ace Husqvarna
    AA Class

Haven't tried that yet.... Just went on an evening/ night ride Sat. I'll have some clips soon, and we'll see how good it did at night. I'll try the "still" mode when I get some more time........
  14. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Did you ever get to try out picture taking qualities of 'still' mode?
  15. Stroker Ace Husqvarna
    AA Class

Not yet... But thanks for reminding me. I've been working some INSANE hours lately and haven't had a chance to do anything I still need to do part 2 of the Pioneertown ride from last month. I'll get on it here as soon as I can.... thanks again for the reminder....
  16. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Is this device still working? I'm really needing to purchase one but wanna check in with you before I do...
  17. Stroker Ace Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hey how are ya doin'???? It's working fine. Had a run of bad luck for a while. My computer crashed and burned, lost almost everything as far as movies. Got a new computer and movie maker and now re-learning how to do everything. I made a clip from Barstow to Vegas, and it's in this forum somewhere. I took some stills but haven't shared them yet. It snaps a still every 2 seconds or so and that's about it but pictures are pretty good. I'll have to get back to it and get some movies going soon. Look for "Barstow to Vegas Day One" and see what you think..... Later....
  18. Stroker Ace Husqvarna
    AA Class

The clip is on the second page of this forum, " BtoV Helmet vid"...... enjoy.