1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc New husky wr250 owner with a question

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Rob09, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Rob09 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511
    So I bought a wr250 second hand and love it. I actually do most of my riding on the street and while the wr might seem like a dumb idea, I've always ridden yz250's and just love the 2-stroke bikes so much more. If Yamaha made a YZ250WR (this may be an aussie only bike, but its just a yz with 6 speed and lights ect for road use)like they used to I probably would have bought that instead. Still the husky looks good and is a lot easier on the body than a yz, and its great.

Anyway, I have a quick question and a small problem.

First the problem. After 100 km or so, the bike started to run like a dog. On the gas it was fine, but back off the throttle and she popped and farted and just generally missed and carried on. I pulled the plug and put a new one in (gapped correctly) and all was good. 100 km or so later, if you backed off the throttle she was missing so bad I worried that if it got worse I might not get home. Changed the plug to a new one, no difference at all. Old plug looked great, white ring and the center was all but perfect.

Still great on band, but missing badly the rest I the time.i don't have a trailer and the nearest dealer is an hour plus away, so it's a bit hard to get someone to have a look at it. I'm running 98 Ron and motul oil at 32:1 and I wonder now if it's a bit rich and I may have fouled something with oil (just repacked muffler due to spooge.)

I also thought maybe the air filter was over oiled (I was thinking that anyway as I went a bit overboard) so I cleaned and re oiled lightly but Its still running terribly. If I'm right and I've fouled something is there a way to do an engine clean and run say 50:1 and a less oiled filter in future? I'm not the most mechanically minded and am happy to admit I don't know much about motors.

I'm not worried too much about jetting as it runs sweet when it's not being a typical Italian vehicle. Also top end was done 200 km ago by R&D husky so I'm not too worried that is the problem. Any advice much appreciated.

Now the question. Can I buy a husky specific excel rim for the front in 17' and just use the original hub, brake rotor ect, and run sport (road, supermotard ect) tyres? I had grand illusions of having two sets of wheels, so I could run in the dirt on weekends, but for the money it costs, I could almost justify a SMR 511 and just swap bikes on the odd occasion I will be riding off road. Maybe even just a separate front wheel and just change tyres on the back as I'm assuming standard 17' rear will take a road tyre?

Thanks again in advance guys, I've been on car forums for years and it's nice to see that this one seems so much nicer and friendlier than any of those!
  2. robertk61 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR250
    I would say your oil mixture is a bit rich, try 40:1 or even 50:1 and try 95RON fuel or even 91. I would also check that you plug cap is clean and good contact with the wire, and check the earth to the coil.

What year?
  3. Rob09 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511
    Thanks will look into all of that. It's an 09. Also lower octane? Manual says min 98? Just curious, that's all.
  4. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 exc framed wr430 engine
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    check pilot jet , reeds for breaks and weakness, and power valve operation make sure its not stuck open.
  5. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    If you have a look at the reeds buy some gaskets and put one on each side of the reed block. It's cheap insurance against air leaks.
  6. Rob09 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511
    Thanks heaps guys, sounds like I might just have to find a way to get it to a dealer. Bike also seems to be using a bucketload of fuel, at least compared to any of my YZ's ever did.
  7. Bart Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TC450, 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 TM Racing EN300 and EN450
    Check the float level, most of them are set incorrectly.
    When set correctly, bike will start way easier, run better and better mpg will be gotten.
    I'm running ron95 (european standard), and it runs and starts great.
  8. Rob09 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511
    Ok guys, I appreciate the help. Hoping to get it to the dealer this weekend and get them to have a look. Meanwhile, I have tried a couple of things.

First, pulled off the tank ect, and from what little I could see through the wiring, nothing looked out of place.

Then pulled the H/T lead and inside the cap looked good, gave it a squirt of WD and it's clicked back on to plug with a perfect click.

Took it for a belt around town, still running like a dog. Still seems to pull ok on band, but missing badly other then that.

Did notice this but, I saw this before but figured it was just a gasket and would get it fixed the next time at the dealer.

[IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As I mentioned, I know bugger all about two strokes. I know nothing but the basic principle of the things.

I'm grabbing some fuel tomorrow mixed at 50:1, instead of 32:1 as this oil leak has made me think this may be the problem.

As I said, hopefully I can con a mate to borrow his ute and get it to the dealer this weekend, but hoping this pic might help someone see something pretty obvious to the trained eye and save me a 3 hour round trip to the dealer.

Thanks again.
  9. Glenn haynes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    13 yz250f 08yz85 11ktm 65 09 ktm65
    what pilot jet are you running? switching fuel/oil ratio is not going to help.Sounds like you are way to fat on the pilot,giving you alot of spooge and running problems on the bottem end power.
  10. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    If it ran good at one time, the jetting etc must be close at least. Did you ever look to see if the pilot jet is plugged?
  11. Glenn haynes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    13 yz250f 08yz85 11ktm 65 09 ktm65
    possible oilside crank seal leaking also.
  12. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    You riding with the choke on ? :eek:

It would appear your problems are two fold. Oil ratio and jetting.

Get your mixture to 50:1 for starters. You aren't generating enough combustion temperature to burn a 32:1 mixture riding around on roads. You are more than likely spending most of your time between 1/8 and a 1/4 throttle. 32:1 is for motors that spend most of their time wide open under full load, like a chain saw.

From there start looking at the jetting. You jetting actually becomes richer with less oil in the mix, so you can probably drop one size on the pilot and main right off, along with one needle position.

From there concentrate on the things that control fuel for 0 to 1/4 throttle. Those would be the pilot jet, air screw, needle diameter, needle clip and slide cut away.
  13. Rob09 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511
    Thanks, this makes a lot of sense. I do try to keep on the throttle on the road but obviously this is not always possible, or socially acceptable (the DEP exhaust is not quiet.), especially over long distances. Going to try 50:1 this afternoon and hopefully that will get it running well enough to get the the dealer to solve the jetting issues. Thanks.
  14. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

This is a long shot, but my buddy has a 2009 WR250 that would run great for the first half of a ride, then load up horribly for the second half of the ride. It turns out that the transmission vent bung was blocked. He said that it was never drilled from the factory. When running hard, pressure (likely from heat buildup) in the transmission would increase, forcing some transmission oil past the right side crank seal and into the bottom end. Lots of poor running ensued. You can easily check this by removing the oil fill plug and blowing some air into the vent line. If air flows, then you can at least rule this out.
  15. Rob09 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511
    It's funny you say that, both time it has started running badly (the 2nd one it still hasn't recovered from) were after hour plus rides. Box oil was replaced after the first time also. Will check it out, am i right in assuming the vent is just a small hole down the middle of the fill plug?
  16. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    The trans vent is a black plastic elbow under the carb with a black hose attached. the hose vents down by the shock. It can be rerouted up higher so that it doesn't siphon water in the gearbox when you go through deep water with a hot engine.
  17. Rob09 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511
    Cool, will check that out when I get home, fingers crossed.
  18. Rob09 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511
    Ok, got home, dumped the fuel, filled her with 50:1, gave the plug a quick tidy up and rode for an hour or so and it's perfect. Tried to keep it on the boil more and she's back to when I bought it.

Checked the vent too, tasted horrible, but that was clear. Obviously I need to get the jetting looked at, but I'm super stoked that it's running well again.

If I get the jetting sorted, is it going to be ok to run on the street on a regular basis? I know ideally I should ride a 4-stroke, but I'm a short, light bloke, and I really just love the 2-strokes so much more.

In saying that, if it's just going to keep causing problems, maybe I need to just bite the bullet and buy a new SMR511 for the street and leave this for the dirt? Would hate to do it, the WR is just too much fun when it's running well, but I really don't want to have on going dramas.

If I can keep the WR running well but, I'm not changing for quids! Every new bike I've owned has been my favorite (well my '02 YZ was my super favorite, but...) however I'm loving the Husky more than any.

Thanks again for everyones help, especially Motorhead for explaining it to me like the idiot I am, actually made a lot of sense. And yes, I have ridden with the choke on before and wondered what was wrong....:o Much appreciated, all of you!
  19. Robracer Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1 Track Bike
    Rob this Def is the right place to go for this sort of information, its a mixed bag but that's half the fun with problem chasing, where you based at?
    we should hook up some time for a ride & exchange notes:D
    dfeckel, that is a brilliant suggestion....... I cant wait to check my WR
  20. Rob09 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511
    Hey mate, yeah I wasn't looking forward to a potential disaster and i am very thankfull for all the advice. I'm actually up on the central coast. Lucky enough to have access to 200 acres full of earthmoving equipment near Newcastle, so if you're ever up for a ride let me know. Lived on the coast my whole life and never ridden the watagans either, so that's on the list too. Just stoked to have a registered bike for the first time ever, don't have to go the whole way to Louie for a ride!