New TE310 won't start....

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by bmasho, Jul 3, 2012.

1. bmasho Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1970 Husky 360 Cross, 2016 FE350
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ossa Bultaco
    Greetings all,
    I'm a newbie with my first fuel injected bike, and first Husqvarna since owning a 1974 250 Mag. The bike is a new (leftover) 2010 TE310 with 12 miles on it that I bought from a private party. It had been sitting for a while.
    It came to me with a dead OEM fuel pump which I replaced with one from CA Cycleworks. The new fuel pump now primes as it should when the key is turned on All fuses and relays were tested prior to replacing the pump and all are fine. Given the age of the bike, I did not replace the fuel filter as it appeared to flow ok.
    The bike has a strong battery and a good spark, but does not start. Cranks very strong but does not even hint at firing up. Kill button in proper position etc.
    Did I overlook something here? Could the fuel injectors themselves be clogged from sitting?
    Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
  2. Biggziff Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 1190R, 500 EXC, 1970 Suzuki T250
    Any fuel on the plug? Does it have a high idle plunger? Do you smell fuel in the exhaust?
  3. hillbilly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11te250 14cr150
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 ktm500
    Fuel injectors could be clogged ? I had my sons quadsport 80 stored in a barn for a couple of years, when i tried to start it had much trouble ! The final answer was a dirt dobber had built a nest in the exhaust not leting the engine breathe ! make sure you are getting exhaust pressure!
  4. bmasho Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ossa Bultaco
    Plug is not wet, which had me thinking about the injectors.
    Also, the emissions stuff had been removed by the dealer. If this was done improperly, could there be an O2 sensor or something else necessary for the bike to run that could have been removed?
  5. Biggziff Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    Can you pull the injector on these and see if it's spraying fuel like with other vehicles?

Not sure on your o2 sensor question, but most systems will run with a bad or missing O2
  6. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    O2 sensor goes in the exhaust right next to cylinder...will have brass plug if removed.

Needs resistor on the connecting wre between ECU and O2 sensor.
  7. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Pressure regulator could be stuck shut, it's inside the tank, just before the exit to the injector. I'd pull the injector and see if it squirts.
  8. bmasho Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ossa Bultaco
    02 sensor is removed and pipe is plugged. I will check the pressure regulator tomorrow....
  9. bmasho Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ossa Bultaco
    UPDATE:
    I didn't check the pressure regulator, but I checked the fuel flow from the gas line at the tank (pre-injector) and it was fine. Meanwhile, the bike sat overnight with the trickle charger on the battery.
    So, rather than immediately pulling the injector to test that, I decided to try and fire the bike. On the first attempt the engine still sounded unresponsive. The second attempt resulted in a small attempt at firing, and with the third spin of the electric starter it was up and running fine.
    I still have no idea why it took so long to start after replacing the bad fuel pump, but it now seems to be fine. Thank you all for your input.
  10. Biggziff Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    Best possible result!
  11. Aaron8 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Using a fuel stabilizer/conditioner, like StaBil or Sea Foam won't hurt either.