1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc New to Huskys, looking at a 125 tomorrow

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by txmxer, Jul 23, 2013.

1. txmxer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    future cr 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yz 250, Drz 110, etc
    I got pointed to this forum by some of the guys on the other forums I frequent. I ride a yz 250 and got that 125 itch again. I found a local 2006 cr 125 for sale im going to check out on wednesday. I was just trying to get as much info and advice as I can on these bikes. Anything specific to look for? Any info will help. Completely new to husqvarna and hadnt really looked to hard into getting one until I saw this bike and everything I've read seems to be good.

Also Ive heard a few things about them coming with 144 kits or something like that??
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Welcome! :cheers:
  3. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    welcome to the forum

not really specific points that the husky is infamous for, so when looking to this bike do it the same way as every other cross bike.

is it maintained and cared for or is it abused.

If I would look to a bike from that year I would anticipate an engine overhaul automatically.

I would pay extra attention to the suspension (like does it go smooth without squeaking or seizing at some point)
    look for oil leaks on the suspension and check the brakes (state of brake disk thickness and brake shoes normally indicates if the owner was serious with its maintenance or the bike was simply not used a lot)

the 144 kits didn't came with that years bike but you can bore these cylinders up to 165 cc and with the proper exhaust there is not much what you wish more without saying goodbye that the 125 set up has to offer.(like handling and smile factor)

Sucsess

Robert-Jan
    juicypips likes this.
  4. Down Under XC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    XC250 83', WR250 87','XC150 10
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR165 10, 83 KDX 250,
    Welcome.

If its any consellation, i bought my then 14 and half year old a XC / WR 150 and have now also bought an XC 125 both 2010 models. If single track is your passion they are an absolute blast in the bush. That pretty well sums them up. Oh I previously had a Ktm 250 exc 2006.

Enjoy
    XC downunder
  5. txmxer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    future cr 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yz 250, Drz 110, etc
    Thanks for all the replies guys, from talking to the seller he maintains his bikes like I do and it sounds satisfactory. He just had the shock and forks serviced with new springs, and a wiseco piston in it two hours ago. Oil changed every other ride, and air filter changed every ride. New tires with two rides on it. I will look into the usual things to see if it was maintained but from the sounds of it he takes good care of his bikes, we even talked bikes and wrenching for a bit over the phone and the seller doesnt seem like the type to beat up the bike, plus it helps that it was his wifes bike.

I think for now im going to leave the bike stock and ride it, I will use it mostly for mx but the goal is to enter some harescrambles this season too. Im sure I will want a 144 in the future when I get some cash but for now all my cash is going towards the purchase and my klx 110 stroker build. Thanks for all the advice though, rode 125's for 5 years so im looking forward to having one again and being a part of the forum.
  6. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    the forum is cool but the bike is cooler

If you gone a do haescrambles you might consider in time the 165 option, it adds power everywhere but it also flatten the peaky power curve as is standard for a 125 (get rid of the clutch handle)

it is excellent lug able and simply a fun to ride and a big smile maker.

Warning: your face might be to small to put it on (especially when you beat a 4 stroke of any higher displacement (and you will be surprised how many 450 that will be ))

Robert-Jan
  7. James Patton Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2012, WR125 2006
    Other Motorcycles:
    1250S Bandit, DRZ400S
    I have an 06 WR 125, and a 12 511TE, hate to admit but the 125 is faster and more fun on the tight single track at
    my riding spot. It has a lot more torque than I am used to with 125' MX (Japanese) bikes, once I had the suspension
    sorted, I have not quit smiling.
  8. txmxer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    future cr 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yz 250, Drz 110, etc
    Well I officially own a husky!!! Traded a stock klx 110 plus some cash for it, now a few questions. Is the kickstarter supposed to be so damn easy to push down or am I just used to my 250 now??? It literally feels like its low on compression but I can tell. The powerband is so different on this bike, on my yz it kicks in heavy but this has such a mellow hit, I kind of like it!!! Cant wait to test it out this satuday!

[IMG]
    ray_ray, wallybean and 454x like this.
  9. sabortooth No Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11uptite167
    Wow
    That's in nice shape. Good score.
  10. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Yep they are easy to start :D. Jetting has a big roll in how they run/hit. I'd check the compression and go over the nuts/bolts, grease it up and enjoy the ride. They are awesome bikes and will run with any 125 and IMHO out handle any of them. Look forward to your ride report and welcome to the Husky club :cheers:.
    Motosportz likes this.
  11. txmxer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    future cr 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yz 250, Drz 110, etc
    Pulled the plug and its chocolate brown so the jetting looks good, did a half ass compression test and it was around 120 but I need to do another one to check it out. Do you guys just pull the throttle back all the way hit the kill switch and kick it until the compression doesnt increase??

Im going to go over before I ride saturday and change oil, check the filter etc. Its pretty clean with newer tires, only thing is a repaired tear in the seat and a shitty repair on the exhaust. But neither of them bother me enough right now. The compression is what really concerns me, not sure if the kicker should go down so easy. Will a 09 wr 125 piston work? or any other brands?
  12. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    120 isn't too bad but do you know what the hours on the piston would be ? All the pistons are the same . You could just try a new ring .
    There was a 144 kit for sale in classifieds real cheap too . I bought my 144 kit from the same guy - ScottyR .
  13. txmxer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    future cr 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yz 250, Drz 110, etc
    I quit being lazy and went in the garage to do a proper compression test, came up to about 145 so I guess its good to go. The guy I bought it from said it the original owner put a wiseco in it right before he sold it, and once the previous owner got it his wife rode it twice and he rode it once but she was scared of the 125 which is why he traded me. 145 is good in my book so im going to ride it and ill do a top end in a few rides just to be safe. I guess I just forgot how easy it is to kick over a 125, and this bike in particular is even easier. I'll look for the 144 kit in the classifieds, definitely something I want to do in the future. The air filter and airbox are completely clean so its good to know its been maintained. I feel like a little kid, I keep going in the garage and tinkering with it.
    john01 likes this.
  14. sabortooth No Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11uptite167
    I love my Husky almost as much as my guns.
    john01 likes this.
  15. txmxer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    future cr 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yz 250, Drz 110, etc
    Im already impressed with it so I can see where you're coming from with that, and its nice to have a bike that still gets R&D from the manufacturer unlike my yami. I dont have any guns but im buying my first one, a remington 870 soon (off topic)
  16. sabortooth No Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11uptite167
    870= Versatility
  17. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

870=a good start too :D.
    sabortooth likes this.
  18. txmxer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    future cr 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yz 250, Drz 110, etc
    I've been shooting buddies guns for a while so I figure its time to get my own, unfortunately its a process to buy a gun in california. I could buy a gun in texas since I live there 9 months out of the year but that would require me changing my license and registration on my truck which is a huge hassle.
  19. HSrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yeah on my 13 WR the kicker is real light and easy to start. Enjoy the bike I'm loving my WR so far, still setting it up but hasn't stopped me from riding it and enjoying it.

Also cool about the 870 :thumbsup:
  20. txmxer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    future cr 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yz 250, Drz 110, etc
    HOOOOLLLLY COOOOW, I love this bike. Went to the track today and I was going much faster than I do on my 250. Suspension, cornering, motor, everything. I have had a honda cr 125 and a yz 125 and this is my favorite by far. I was especially impressed with the cornering, my buddy with a 2013 crf 450 even mentioned that it cornered better than his bike (that bike is amazingly fun to ride also btw). He was having tons of fun riding it and jokingly mentioned he needs to look for one to buy now.

I did have one problem though, it took about 20 kicks to start, I dont know why. I think its just the starting procedure perhaps? Seems like no choke and no throttle works on this bike, other than that it ran great for the rest of the day and started up fine. Needless to say I had a blast!
    Motosportz, 454x and john01 like this.